USH - Halloween Horror Nights 2010 Media Day

TPR attend Media Day 2010!
Users viewing this topic: No registered users and 1 guest
Archived Photo Trip Reports of Theme Parks, Roller Coasters, and Donkeys!
KidTums' personal piano player

USH - Halloween Horror Nights 2010 Media Day

Postby wrs28330 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:25 am

Once again, Universal Studios Hollywood rolled out the red carpet, as they celebrated both the Eyegore Awards and the opening of their yearly Halloween event, Halloween Horror Nights. The Eyegore Awards celebrate accomplishments in horror films. The event starts with a red carpet interview session with celebrities receiving awards, followed by the formal presentation.

Halloween Horror Nights features 5 haunted mazes themed to various horror films, 6 scare zones, Bill & Ted's Excellent Halloween Adventure, and a few more goodies.

The event overall is similar to past years. Many people were sad to see that the Rocky Horror Picture Show tribute did not return this year. Though I personally am not a fan of the movie, seeing the tribute live was fantastic! Especially with a great crowd. The returning mazes were almost identical from years past. The new 3-D Rob Zombie maze was a great addition to the event, as the maze theming is much different from the other mazes. (This maze had the longest line of the event, with other guests reporting actual wait times of 1.5 hours.)

The Terror Tram: Chucky's Revenge was both a hit, and a flop. The video segment does a great job tying in Chucky's Insult Imporium from a few years back, as well as other happenings at Universal Studios, to explain why Chucky had a fall out with the media. The scare actors do a decent job on the backlot, but many of them are given the same costumes. Half of them are dressed as military/security guards, and guests become immune to their scare factor rather quickly. The same route is used to take guests through Whoville/Bates Motel/War of the Worlds. We did not, however, go through the outdoor sheet mazes before war of the worlds. Not sure if it is part of the event this year.

Most of the scare zones were fine at best. We only saw 2 scare actors in the Pigz area on the lower lot, and they did not have much energy. La Llorona left people simply confused. Based on guest reaction, people were not familiar with the legend. Lunaticz, Nightmarez, and Freakz were a notch above the others, with Klownz being the clear crowd favorite. Klownz is located at the start of New York Street, and features a large flame column arch way, and a Ringmaster. This high traffic area is alive and kicking all night long.

Be prepared for a more vulgar event than in past years. Obviously, if you are reading TPR, you will be fine for what the event has in store. Harsher language is used in Bill & Ted's, and on the Starway. The Terror Tram and mazes also use colorful language. Not a issue for most who will be attending the event, but nonetheless, very noticible.

Opening day was packed! We highly recommend going for the "Gate A" Pass if it is within your price range, as it may be the only way to experience all the event has to offer in one night.

Thank you to Universal Studios Hollywood, for once again putting together a great Halloween Event!
01.JPG
Welcome to Halloween Horror Nights and the Eyegore Awards!
02.JPG
On one hand, we were important enought to have a spot on the red carpet! On the other hand, look who we are next too..... Just kidding! We LOVE site banned!
03.JPG
Frank is happy with having our spot just behind a wall for one of the mazes!
04.JPG
Event map, if you were layind down!
05.JPG
William tries to eat his event lanyard for the 2nd year in a row! "But it gets tastier each year!"
06.JPG
That man is going to eat those vampires!
07.JPG
It's time to start the "OMG! It's...." section: "OMG! It's Christopher Lloyd!"
08.JPG
"OMG! It's Derek Myers!" (The bald guy in the background. He is the new dude who played Jason.)
09.JPG
"OMG! It's Michael Jackson! Or is it Corey Feldman?"
10.JPG
"OMG! It's Molly Orr! TPR's favorite USH employee of all time! (Even moreso than Joey!) She was one of the best Backlot Tour Guides, and now she is one of the official spokespeople for USH. We love you Molly! Would you like to meet our friend Dan?!
11.JPG
Scare Zone - Klowns
12.JPG
13.JPG
Let's head down to the Terror Tram on the Backlot!
14.JPG
This year, Chucky gets his revenge!
15.JPG
Trams drop the guests off at the Whoville set, and are met by a militia gang. And then....
16.JPG
....they attack!
17.JPG
"You complained about my Insult Imporium, but now I'm back, suckers!!!!!!!"
18.JPG
Yay.... another 50th anniversay celebration.....
19.JPG
Ride the Terror Tram, and you get to walk through the Psyco set!
20.JPG
Play nice!
21.JPG
Ahhhh! It's Chucky!
22.JPG
Momma?
23.JPG
24.JPG
So that's why Heroes was cancelled...
25.JPG
The video sequences on the trams while traveling to and from the loading areas are quite entertaining this year.
26.JPG
Frank recommends the "Gate A" Pass, because the park is PACKED!!!!!
27.JPG
Nightmare on Elm Street is the first maze up!
28.JPG
29.JPG
30.JPG
Think of the children!
31.JPG
The new La Llorona walkaround area.
32.JPG
Just look at the freakishly scary....barrels! Barrels = what???? Theming!!!!
33.JPG
Time to see the first Bill & Ted show of the season!
34.JPG
35.JPG
36.JPG
This year, the show is in 3-D!
37.JPG
Lady Gaga likes her meat!
38.JPG
Justin Bieber, Snookie, and The Situation are just some of the many wonderful people who took time out of their busy schedules to be in the show this year.
39.JPG
No thank you!
40.JPG
"I found some 'fairy dust' in Paris Hilton's purse!"
41.JPG
The best moment in the show inspired from the following youtube sensation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw
42.JPG
Jacob from Twilight at his finest.
43.JPG
44.JPG
The show features several high-energy dance numbers to popular music...
45.JPG
...and some great lighting and pyro too!
46.JPG
The audience loved the show. But Robb pointed out last year that California has not fully embrassed the show as Florida has. The show is still in its first few years, so the crowd has to learn to appreciat this show. In Florida, "We Will Rock You" starts playing, and the crowd goes crazy! Here, the song plays and the audience sits quietly, not realizing that they can make noise. Give it few more years. This years show was much better compared to last year. Not sure if it is a better overall theme to the show or a better year for pop culture.
47.JPG
Maze #2: Friday the 13th!
48.JPG
Ahh! It's Jason!
49.JPG
50.JPG
Scare zone: Freakz
51.JPG
Oh no! They got Frank surrounded! Why are they wasting their time on him? Scare the 13-year-old girls instead! They are more entertaining!
52.JPG
53.JPG
A new maze this year! The 3-D effcts make this my favorite maze this time around.
54.JPG
Get the "Gate A" Pass, and get free 3-D glasses for the maze!
55.JPG
Oh, the colors!
56.JPG
The coolest room seperators ever! Octopusssssss tentacles!
57.JPG
58.JPG
59.JPG
60.JPG
The normal House of Horrors attraction received a vampire overlay for HHN. 'Nuff said.
61.JPG
Saw seemed like a step backwards from last year. Some of the rooms douse guests with water to the point that you should wear a poncho.
62.JPG
Want to play a game?
63.JPG
64.JPG
65.JPG
Don't forget to see the new King Kong (almost) 360 3-D! There is a separate tram that departs from Jurrasic Park. The tram from this stop, only travels to the King Kong attraction. The Terror Tram still loads from its normal location.
66.JPG
On crowded nights, it is likely that a 4th Bill & Ted show could be added, as was the case on this first night. Last year, there were 4 showings with a possible 5th if needed. This year, the show is about 45 minutes in length, so there is not as much turn around for the cast this year.
67.JPG
Great cast this year!
68.JPG
The show utilizes several video sequences this year.
69.JPG
71.JPG
Again, we HIGHLY recommend the "Gate A" Pass. Just look at these wait times on a Friday! Thank you USH, for another great time at Halloween Horror Nights! We love you Molly!
Last edited by wrs28330 on Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:53 pm.

If the donkey is rockin, don't come knockin!

Re: USH - Halloween Horror Nights 2010 Media Day

Postby PCW_Nut » Sat Sep 25, 2010 7:12 am

Awesome TR.

I gotta admit, I still find the idea of normal size Chuckies funny rather then scary...I just don't get the logic in it. If you're gonna do Chucky, go all out, get animitronics and spread them out...have the scares come from human victims rather then over sized Cabbage Patch dolls.

Did you get an video by any chance? I know the mazes are dark and what not, but I would love to see a walk through of House of 1000 Corpses.

Why do I still have a donkey title???

Postby Sir Clinksalot » Sat Sep 25, 2010 8:32 am

Thanks for the pics and info. Hopefully the low spots will pick up before we go next Saturday. We don't have Gate A, but I'm not seriously thinking about it.

KidTums' personal piano player

Postby wrs28330 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:07 am

^^We tried video, but it was indeed too dark.

Can I park my donkey here?

Postby kf2010 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 9:37 am

Awesome TR, love Halloween Horror Nights!

PCW_Nut wrote:I gotta admit, I still find the idea of normal size Chuckies funny rather then scary...I just don't get the logic in it. If you're gonna do Chucky, go all out, get animitronics and spread them out...have the scares come from human victims rather then over sized Cabbage Patch dolls.

Really. Really?! Logic?!? :lmao:

“Fear can make a donkey attack a lion”

Postby edgeboy » Sat Sep 25, 2010 2:54 pm

PCW_Nut wrote:I gotta admit, I still find the idea of normal size Chuckies funny rather then scary...I just don't get the logic in it. If you're gonna do Chucky, go all out, get animitronics and spread them out...have the scares come from human victims rather then over sized Cabbage Patch dolls.

Actually, the Chuckies I saw were not normal size, but played by little people.

I agree with the Terror Tram review... it was a bit hit and miss. There were large sections where there were no scare actors at all, and it's just not evolving much from year to year (with the exception of last year, when they extended the path).

But I disagree about the mazes being identical... yes, the themes are identical, but the designs of the mazes seem vastly different from their previous incarnations. A couple of things are recycled, to be sure, but more seemed new than not.

I was also a bit disappointed with the 1,000 Corpses maze. I thought the first third was pretty good, but the pacing seemed bogged down in the latter half, with many completely unthemed transitional hallways, and no real clarity of how a storyline was developing. I have seen the movie quite a while ago, but it seemed like the elements from the movie were shuffled around in a somewhat random order.

They did okay with Vampyre, but since it's year round, there's no real surprise there. I think even the GP are beginning to figure it out--notice it's wait time compared to all the other mazes!

I didn't make it to the Saw maze or Bill and Ted last night, but I hope to hit it tonight.

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:05 pm

Only 4 more weeks before I get to go.

Guy "I love Halloween time." Koepp =)

TPR's Favorite Beaner

Postby RCFreak » Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:05 pm

Sir Clinksalot wrote:We don't have Gate A, but I'm not seriously thinking about it.

RECONSIDER! Seriously, for opening night and a Friday, it was really packed and the group I was with missed out on the Terror Tram, Nightmare on Elm Street and House of 1000 corpses cause of the lines. So I can only imagine the horrors that await on a Saturday.

Also the wait times are lies haha, Kong said it had a 5 minute wait, but we ended up waiting about half an hour to get on; I attribute that to being opening night and a new set up, but we also waited about 40 minutes for Saw with a posted wait time of 20 minutes and about 35 minutes in line for The "25 minute" Simpson's Ride before I decided we needed to leave the line to catch the 12:00 Bill And Ted.

wrs28330 wrote:Saw seemed like a step backwards from last year. Some of the rooms douse guests with water to the point that you should wear a poncho.

Fucking A this is the most annoying thing I think about Universal's event (also a criticism I had two years ago, seriously, it annoys me...), but yeah it seemed like if there was a water effect, I was the one in our group that got hit every single time. I also had issues with decapitated bodies, but that's another subject.

And I don't know if it's just me, but it honestly felt like the exact same event I went back to in 08 (didn't go last year). I expected it to be a little more different, but hey it's still a really fun Haunt with top notch Mazes that I still highly recommend (WITH GATE A PASSES!).

All that said, great TR William, it felt like I was there :lmao:.

Obsessive Overlord of the TPR Park Index

Postby larrygator » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:17 pm

Will - thanks for the coverage.

Maybe the California crowd will understand Bill and Ted someday.
As usual, my analysis is free of charge!
Original enough to not steal someone else's quote as a signature

Now with Extra Retarded Flavor

Postby Guy T. Koepp » Sat Sep 25, 2010 6:43 pm

Yeah! Those Californians! It's like they're living in an entirely different world over there. :roll:

Next

Return to Photo Trip Report Archive