TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Waldameer Discussion Thread

Did anyone else think that the train had a lot of difficulty ascending that big hill on the turnaround section? That looks so slow in the POV.

Other than that complaint, I can't wait to ride this coaster in May!

I wouldn't worry about a POV being a little off.

My main worry is this:

It's costing just 1/2 million dollars less than the Voyage, yet it's less than half the length. I really hope this is a $6 million ride, and not a $6 million ride thanks to a very expensive bridge.

^That, and the water table can't be much below the road, since the lake is right there.

Did anyone else think that the train had a lot of difficulty ascending that big hill on the turnaround section? That looks so slow in the POV.

Other than that complaint, I can't wait to ride this coaster in May!

Seemed fine to me. Pop of ejector in the front, with floater down the drop and ejector in the back on the drop.

Given my love of B-dash, this ride looks to be outstanding! From the video it looks to have a lot of my favorite things, speed and airtime. The use of the land is also a great thing, Dash has a cool layout and lots of speed but without the hill side its built on it would be half the ride. Flyer looks like another great ride from gravity group. Looks like they have that signature attraction in the works!

A deep tunnel under the road, ala Hades, would have been cooler, but probably insanely expensive and impossible to get a permit for.

The problem with a tunnel on an open road is the construction of it. Pretty much all coaster tunnels (including both Hades' and Voyage's) are built by the cut and cover method. THis is basically digging a ditch and then covering over it. This is fine when the tunnel is going under nothing (like voyage) or a parking lot that the park owns (a la Hades), or even park paths (Like SFNE's Supes), but it becomes a logistical nightmare when it is a public road. Traffic would have to be diverted. The other method of building a tunnel, tunneling, is much more expensive and much more dangerous.

The water table wouldn't have been too big a problem, there are tunnels and basements of buildings that go under the water table all the time.

^I was explaining why it would be more expensive than Hades, because it could never be done a la Hades.

I disagree agree about the tunnel being cooler, unless you mean cooler in temperature . I like bridges and this one will be unique. It will also be more beautiful than a concrete ditch could ever hope to be.

^I was explaining why it would be more expensive than Hades, because it could never be done a la Hades.

I disagree agree about the tunnel being cooler, unless you mean cooler in temperature . I like bridges and this one will be unique. It will also be more beautiful than a concrete ditch could ever hope to be.

After re-watching the POV, I feel even more strongly about the tunnel concept. That would have allowed them to increase the height of the first drop, making for a faster ride. Though going too big on standard woodies usually doesn't turn out well.

I guess it all really depends on how well the train rides across that bridge. If there is a bunch of airtime, then great. I wonder if they'll get it right.

The bridge will be the most expensive part of the ride, the owner has been waiting for this moment to arrive for years (they missed the original Flyer) and he will pay any cost to get a coaster over the road again.

A tunnel like "Hades" would of pushed the project up millions of $$$.

How about a bridge on the outward stretch and a tunnel (with chaser lights to make it look like your going faster, have plenty of

"Dry Ice" as well for good measure) under the road on the return leg

I am sure an "In-line twist" like the below picture is possible on a woodie.

The only flat 90 degree track I have been on is the "Wild Mouse" in BPB, have to brace yourself for the slam sideways.

p18269.jpg.89c1dc60d4cf0ace6ffe545b6e8ab50d.jpg

I am sure an "In-line twist" like the below picture is possible on a woodie.

What works on a steel roller coaster doesn't always work on a wooden coaster.

Wooden coasters work totally different then steel. The example you used has the train physically glued to the track with up stop wheels and side friction wheels. Not so much on a woodie.

I'd say an inline twist is not possible on a woodie. And even if it was, no company is going to be dumb enough to attempt it. It obviously didn't work out for SoB.

How about a bridge on the outward stretch and a tunnel (with chaser lights to make it look like your going faster, have plenty of "Dry Ice" as well for good measure) under the road on the return leg

Yeah, let's drive the cost up even more. Waldameer is a tiny park that is probably really putting itself out to install this coaster as it is.

Wooden coasters work totally different then steel. The example you used has the train physically glued to the track with up stop wheels and side friction wheels. Not so much on a woodie.

AFAIK, woodies have all three sets of wheels just like a steel coaster. I think the issue with inversions is they put massive stress on the track and trains. Wood and wooden coaster trains just can't handle that. Not to mention it would be a bitch to try to bend track into a loop.

105.jpg.53fe00cf89acf5ee0818d0138dff74c5.jpg

My art skills are amazing!

AFAIK, woodies have all three sets of wheels just like a steel coaster. I think the issue with inversions is they put massive stress on the track and trains. Wood and wooden coaster trains just can't handle that. Not to mention it would be a bitch to try to bend track into a loop.

Yes, they have all three sets of wheels. But what I meant was that they aren't as tight to the track. There's some freedom of movement on woodies that steel coasters don't have.

Yes, they have all three sets of wheels. But what I meant was that they aren't as tight to the track. There's some freedom of movement on woodies that steel coasters don't have.

SLC wheels aren't free to move?

^ Smart a$$.

His picture was of an Intamin zero-g roll. That definetly wouldn't have any movement.

I've spent entire rides on SLCs watching the side friction wheels. It's shocking just how much they come off the track.

I spend my SLC rides using all my might to hold the OTSR as low as possible to minimize the damage to my brain.

^ Smart a$$.

His picture was of an Intamin zero-g roll. That definetly wouldn't have any movement.

I've spent entire rides on SLCs watching the side friction wheels. It's shocking just how much they come off the track.

I spend my SLC rides using all my might to hold the OTSR as low as possible to minimize the damage to my brain.

They're not that rough...

Why don't you just bring a nice soft pillow with you and use it for cushioning.