TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Names you've mispronounced

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I said Int-a-min was Int-aah-min, but then I heard some peoples on a video say it different. I still think Int-aah-min sounds stronger than int-a-min.

I also used to pronounce Bolliger and Mabillard as Bolliger and Mallibard, but then I actually looked at it and corrected myself.

Gerstlauer:

GERST-laow-er

Just to clear things up,

"Bolliger and Mabillard" is NOT pronounced...

"BAHL-ih-jer and MAB-ill-ard."

It is pronounced...

"BAHL-ih-ger and MAB-ee-yard"

Hard "g" in "Bolliger."

Mow-wer sohn made Pandemonium, correct?

Of course regional dialects make it hard to express pronunciations in leters and syllables. We could all be saying things correctly but misrepresenting on "paper"

I can correctly promounce (and spell!) Lake Winnepesaukah so that's all that matters in my life 8)

Gerstlauer:

GERST-laow-er

Just to clear things up,

"Bolliger and Mabillard" is NOT pronounced...

"BAHL-ih-jer and MAB-ill-ard."

It is pronounced...

"BAHL-ih-ger and MAB-ee-yard"

Hard "g" in "Bolliger."

It's actually pronounced ~BOY-ih-ger~ and ~MOB-ee-ard~

Like Jow said, things like Bolliger & Mabillard are always gonna sound different in different accents. There are several words that when said with a British accent just sound damn weird, but it sounds even weirder if we try to Americanise them.

Pretty much the same as others: I had NO clue how to pronounce "Geauga" until I heard it on In The Loop. And until I heard Elissa say it correctly, I'd always assumed it was "Can-OH-bie", rather than "CAN-oh-bie", which I now have confirmed from Mr Canobie Fan himself, I think, if I read his post here correctly.

Nicole, I'm never sure if it's Too-sen-FREED, or Too-sen-FRID. I think FREED.

(Weirdest looking post ever.)

Maybe I can put it in these words.

For when you first glance at a word that you don't know how to pronounce, your brain sometimes filters some of the stuff out of the word, or sentence. It could be a letter, a word, or a pronunciation.

Here's an example: For what I'm going to show you is a sentence. In order for this to work, you have to skim the sentence, or read it quickly. Don't take your time on this. So here it is:

My grandmother went to the

the store to buy some groceries.

If this worked correctly, you shouldn't have noticed that there were two "the" words, in the sentence. As said before, it is the way the brain works that makes this happen.

In another case, you try to pronounce a word that maybe has a K in it. You might not know if the K makes a K sound, or if it's silent. That's a different case.

I hope this clears things out a bit.

^ I've always believed that the "moose" pronounciation comes from German dialect and is therefore probably how you are to pronounce it but I don;t think anyone will fault you for saying it the other way - just remember we are ignorant Americans