TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The Official Nintendo Wii Discussion Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^

We'll see about that...Cant wait for SSB:B. I keep hearing different dates: March, June, and November (to release along side with Halo 3 for competition). Not sure what to believe...

Got Excite Truck the other day. Any game where you get points for crashing is good with me. I'm pleasantly surprised at how fun this game is.

Finally, I'm not the only one to mention Excite Truck. Excellent game, controll -wise and graphic-wise. Playing this and playing MotorStorm (For PoS3), I did a comparison on the motion sensor controllers. the PS3's motion sensors has a delay to it. Basically, I turn the controller to the left, about a second later, the truck finally makes a nice wide turn straight into a cliff or off the edge. And you can't drift like you can on ET. Praise the Wii for precise movement, immediate response to motion, and overall being fun and appealing to everyone.

I am slightly curious about the "Sixaxis", it looks kinda cheap to me, is it anything like playing Wii?

Also, I sadly found this:

"Pokemon Battle Revolution, the first Wii online game, hit Japanese stores last Thursday. What did gamers find when they tried to go online? They found a new twelve digit friend code and a brand new list to add codes for this one game. It looks like Nintendo has learned absolutely nothing from the sometimes annoying experience of online DS titles. To make matters worse, you still can’t exchange friend codes in game. You need to send each other codes in real life."

I really hope they change this for other online games or for future releases of this game. The code thing is tedious, but a code for every single game, thats way too much. Basically, the whole Wii friend code list is now obsolete if nintendo keeps doing this, there will be a new topic every game, and that code is only good for the console itself, not games. Im just hoping Nintendo realizes this mistake before it gets out of hand. If not, this could REALLY bring the life of Wii down because of how important online multiplayer is anymore. Wii is great and everything, but Nintendo needs to start being smart on online play.They saw what happened to Gamecube, which could have had more success had they went online for more then 2 games, they seriously should have learned by now. Wii is suppose to appeal to everyone, and not everyone wants to sit down and go through 12 digit codes just to be able to play multiplayer. Its not even that mostly, its how you get them. I hope if they do use this strategy, you can still play with random people online and have an option to auto-swap friend codes to eachother's systems

What makes NO sense to me is Nintendo served up a browser for Wii with no filter already, then we see this?

Also, and article confirming NO individual friend codes:

http://www.n-europe.com/news.php?nid=9609

Maybe they'll fine-tune things as more Wii-Fi games come along. It sounds like Nintendo's pretty much on top of things security-wise. I read the official Nintendo boards frequently and they're not even allowed to exchange Wii/DS friend codes. I'm sure they don't want people (especially younger peeps) to have problems from someone they don't know...just my guess.

True, but the thing is, that doesn't even make any sense that they have message boards in the first place... and you can't exchange friend codes. You could do less with a friend code then you can over the internet say on a message board over a browser (such as opera on Wii). I understand the security thing, and you hear about horrible things over the internet, and Ive seen horrible things over the internet, but how many of those stemed from Xbox live or playing Playstation online? I think once they let out a filter-less browser, it started not making sense with all of these other little security features.

Was reading the latest Game Informer last night (just renewed my subscription) and they had some nice things to say about the Wii. It got an A- and the PoS3 got a B.

One issue they said with the PS3 controller is that it's Blue Tooth and it has been known to cut out (like any other blue tooth device). So don't expect to be playing a nice shooter and not die because your controller stops working.

Theres a difference I read about, somewhere. Its somewhat different because with the Wii, your remote may have cut out before, very quickly, but you may have never noticed it because with Wii, if the signal cuts, it can pick back up on the same signal again and remember settings. The PS3 controller can also loose it's signal, but somehow doesn't remember these settings and just drops, so it has to be re-synched, or something along those lines. If anyone with more knowlege wants to jump in, feel free, I just know I read this somewhere in an article.

My Wiimote hasn't cut out on me yet, not even the speaker. I did happen to read that GI article about the PSFreeze and the Wii, how they compare. They did say that the Wii is gimmicky but I think not. The games (That I have) make excellent use of the Wiimote, not little minor 'gimmicky' things. Glad to see that the Wii pwned the PS3 in the magazine, not that I'm a fanboy or anything...(I do have original PSX, and Dreamcast and love both systems, so I say not a fanboy).

A couple of Wii Peeves:

1. The apparent lack of a way to turn down the volume on the Wiimote. (to be fair there may be a way, I just haven't found it). I know on certain games you can do this (Excite Truck) but for other (Wii Sports, Red Steel) I'm not sure if you can.

This is frustrating because I will only play Red Steel when the kids are in bed, and as low as I have the stereo turned down, the Wiimote still is quite loud.

2. The Classic Controller. The controller itself is sweet, and it makes it easy and fun to play Street Fighter. But why in God's name did they put the cord connection on the BOTTOM of the controller? Every game system since the original NES has had the cord sticking out of the top. I just feel like I'm bending it too much when I hold the controller.

3. The inability to change buttons on Super Mario Brothers. On the Classic Controller Jump is either X or A and fast run and fireball are Y and B. You can't change them up. Maybe it's because I'm used to the Game Cube or New SMB on the DS but I want to use Y for run and B for jump!!!! Using A and B is not a very good hand angle.

But other than that it's sweet.

Quick question: Has anybody else had issues with your Wii not responding when you turn it on? Twice in the last week I've tried to turn it on from the Wiimote and the console and nothing happens. I've had to unplug it from the back both times to get it to reset.

^To turn the volume on the Wiimote down, just hit the home button and it has controller settings under the two buttons.

Your other problem could be that the Wiimote has a low battery because that is the only problem I have had when I lost the connection.

That is just one mor thing that bugs me, there is no way of telling how much battery you have left unless you go to the home button. I wish they could have pulled a gameboy or ds with it and added a red light when it is in its last 10%.

The lights on your Wiimote (1/2/3/4) go dimmer as the batteries go down. Its not really the best indication since I wish you could pull up that litte meter anywhere too, but its like a gameboy, lights dimmer, batteries more worn. Also, thanks for the info about controlling the volume on the 'mote, thats always been a little problem for me too, but not anymore. No wmy only issue with Wii will be those damned "codes" if they overuse them. Didn't they do a survey about this and know alot of people hate them?

Actually, as your battery power decreases, only 3 of the 4 lights or 2 of the 4 lights (depending on strength) will flash. This can be checked when the Wii's turned off. Otherwise, just hit the home button to check battery power. It will show for all Wiimotes depending on if they're 'awake.' Lastly, when I have a low battery, I've had the game tell me that it lost connection, so I swapped with another Wiimote and continue play. (Which I'm glad it drops the connection and pauses the game otherwise, I could have something attacking me and I have no way to pause the game.) And I'm still waiting for my Wii straps...no confirmation, no mail...nada thing.

Other news, I almost forgot to post....I feared my Wii Sports getting scratched in it's cardboard sleeve so I made a case for it. Came out nice actually, minus the fact the printer put a nice crease in the paper and doesn't print to the edges on executive (7.5x10.25) paper.

1832394082_WiiSportsback.jpg.fb48c9b0e94b21f9f63a3350c1b0d8e1.jpg

Back View

1787493565_WiiSportsFront.jpg.4245294a51a2006b9837dc025ff95b5d.jpg

Front View

^Looks Great.

I wanted to do the same thing, but I have no photoshop skills what-so-ever, so about a week ago I did a Google image search for Wii Sports box art and came up with this:

wii_wiisports.jpg.zip

I zipped it because it's a big image file and not mine. I don't want the image itself appear on TPR and get Robb and Elissa in trouble. Props to whoever made it though.

I was hoping to make a box for it, just have to aquire an empty white case. I like to have all of my stuff like, uniformed, so i was mildy dissapointed with the fact sports came in the cordboard sleeve lol. Im gld others have had this idea as well. I tried downloading the image but it came up as corrupt, so heres a link to a video with a photo link for his box art:

http://www.wiichat.com/nintendo-wii-chat/9773-how-make-custom-wii-sports-dvd-box-video-inside.html

the art looks awesome, so ill print it out on some photo paper soon and get ahold of a white dvd case.

**edit, I found this awesome site

http://www.thecoverproject.net/view.php?cover_id=1716

this will come in handy for any games I have old or lost covers for...

and if you dont like those or dont feel like going through the trouble:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=011&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320065520943&rd=1&rd=1

lol