TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Knoebels Discussion Thread

The latest word from Coastin' Steve on RRC is that, although he hasn't been there lately, from what he's heard they're still tinkering with the train so much that they haven't ordered the additional trains, so they probably won't get them before the end of the season. But they still think they'll be able to open early in the season with one train.

• 1 month later...

That's my video. I can't remember if I posted it here or not.

There's an unofficial copy (not mine) of an official POV at http://rollercoasterfreak.com/2008_ACE_Events/CoasterBash/IMGP8637.MOV

The latest news is that the front wheels of the train tend to come off of the surface when it makes a rapid transition from one side to the other. I'm not sure why this is a problem because it's only the front wheels and it doesn't have anywhere to go but back down, but they're trying to figure out what to do about it.

I have about 10 pictures of a Flying Turns preview walk through. It's not a new one but a older one and features some pictures of on the track, and a top the main structure. I don't know why I waited till now to post them. But here's a few.

I like this one, becuase you can see the shadow of the cherry picker were it was taken.

The great construction crew.

I have a bunch more here: http://www.brandonscoasters.com/rcdbknblft.htm

Hope you guys might enjoy these.

-Brandon

^Those are great pictures! Thanks for posting. I have a quick question though. How will maintainance be with the Flying Turns? Like retracking, how much work does this type of ride need to be in tip top condition and how often does it need to be retracked?

John

Thanks, I'm sure that it takes a lot of maintenance. I talked to the crew for a couple of hours about a bunch of different topics. I don't remember if they said something about that. But I do know that they are completely building it from scratch and they go to there local lumber store. They've been working on it for almost three years now I think, so I'm sure it will take a lot of maintenance.

^^^ Great pics.

I guess those are recent ones ? From the pictures, I think it will take some more weeks, months before the ride opens.

I've looked back some pages but don't see anything mentioned about an announced opening date. Did Knoebels officially announce a date for the ride to open ?

Hopefully it will open in the next weeks as we will visit Knoebels in 6 weeks.

^^^ Great pics.

I guess those are recent ones ? From the pictures, I think it will take some more weeks, months before the ride opens.

I've looked back some pages but don't see anything mentioned about an announced opening date. Did Knoebels officially announce a date for the ride to open ?

Hopefully it will open in the next weeks as we will visit Knoebels in 6 weeks.

Those pictures are actually from 2006. The track is completed, except for the service track that runs between the first lift and the second lift. During PPP, they did a demo of a two-car train running through the ride. It made full ciricuts. Right now they are testing it, and adjusting the prototype train as they go.

There is no official announced date. When the testing is done, and passes state inspection, the ride will open. Now with the warmer weather, I'm sure Knoebels is doing more frequent testing and getting things resolved.

We can only hope that it opens this year. I've been saving my trip to Knoebels till it opens, and Knoebels is one of my favorite parks out there. I really don't think that there are many if any parks like it. So this thing better open soon.

So this thing better open soon.

Trust me, we ALL want it to open soon! This is one of the most anticipated coasters to come.

Is it me, but it looks like 2008 is the "Year of Coasters" for PA. Knoebels, Dorney Park, Hersheypark, and Waldameer

Yep, and this year I plan on hitting all PA parks, since theres a few I haven't gone to, and I live here, haha. I'm actually planing a east coast type of trip. I've been to all parks in other states but not in my own, so I'm assuming theres something wrong there.

To tell you the truth, I had forgotten about Flying Turns till this thread was bumped up the other day. I guess that's what happens when a coaster has been under construction for 2 1/2 years. Hopefully it opens for you guys before the end of the season. As for me, I'll be hitting Dorney and Hershey later this summer and Knoebels in a year or two. It should be open by then.

I'm just wondering but how much has this thing cost to build?

I'm not sure if I read it in this thread or somewhere else, but I think it's built already. Their is something wrong with the front wheels. Again, I could be wrong. Hopefully someone more knowledgable will respond to this in a short time.

• 2 weeks later...

WNEP-TV showed the train for a few seconds tonight as part of an announcement that the park will be opening this weekend. There seemed to be a lot of work going on around it involving grinding off bolts etc. They said that they hoped to have it open sometime this summer, which wasn't anymore specific than what we already knew.

They also said that there is a new feature in the Haunted House.

Wow, that came out of nowhere. It's not even on the price list. I wonder where they're going to put it?

Assuming they already have the space cleared for it (which I have no idea about), I wouldn't think it would take all season to get it installed. It almost looks like a portable ride.

Looks like Knoebels is getting a flat ride for this season.

http://www.knoebels.com/whats-new.asp

I have no idea when it's planned to open or if it's already built, I'm going to take a guess and say it will open at or near the end of the season.

Why would it take 4-5 months to install a portable flat ride?!?!

Maybe they're getting this becauses they know Flying Turns won't be open most of the season so at least they'll have something new. My guess is it will open pretty damn soon!

Looks like Knoebels is getting a flat ride for this season.

http://www.knoebels.com/whats-new.asp

I have no idea when it's planned to open or if it's already built, I'm going to take a guess and say it will open at or near the end of the season.

Why would it take 4-5 months to install a portable flat ride?!?!

Maybe they're getting this becauses they know Flying Turns won't be open most of the season so at least they'll have something new. My guess is it will open pretty damn soon!

I'm thinking that they would need to clear the land depending on it's location. Pour the concrete for the base, and then get the queue line up.

idk. Maybe I'm thinking that it would be how The Looper happened. It opened before the season closed and it was announced during the summer. I guess I should be happy that it could be open for when I go up in August.

I'm thinking that they would need to clear the land depending on it's location. Pour the concrete for the base, and then get the queue line up.

idk. Maybe I'm thinking that it would be how The Looper happened. It opened before the season closed and it was announced during the summer. I guess I should be happy that it could be open for when I go up in August.

Just because they haven't had it on the website till now doesn't mean they haven't been doing all the stuff you mentioned.

Tomorrow is Opening Day. If I get a chance and the weather cooperates, I'm going to head up for a few hours on Sunday. If I see anything worth reporting, I'll post it here.

• 3 weeks later...

I know a POV has already been posted but that one wouldn't work for me. Instead I found this one on Youtube and I thought I'd link people to it incase they have the same problems with the other one. I think it looks really fun, nothing record-braking but fun.