TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags St. Louis (SFStL) Discussion Thread

45 minutes on The Boss, Ninja, and Boomerang. No thanks.

That's what I'm thinking! I maybe be able to ride Boss that long depending where I would be sitting, but Ninja an Boomerang.... no way!

45 minutes on The Boss, Ninja, and Boomerang. No thanks.

I'd try to get on the team that does BTR and American Thunder first, and then bail. No need to stay after that.

Ninja? If only because I'd fall asleep from the sheer boredom after three rides.

But if I could snag the first car on The Boss? Piece of cake. Any further back? my brains would be scrambled after 45 minutes. Most would consider it an improvement.

Ninja? If only because I'd fall asleep from the sheer boredom after three rides.

You must be one of those rare people who fall withing a specific torso height, to where arrow/vekoma rides don't beat you to death. I envy this.

You must be one of those rare people who fall withing a specific torso height, to where arrow/vekoma rides don't beat you to death. I envy this.

Ninja? If only because I'd fall into a coma from the sheer headbanging after three rides.

Fixed.

Ok, I've heard the complaints before, but I'm 5'11" (and shrinking). My 8YO boy is 53 1/2" tall. Neither one of us has ever experienced a "head banging" ride on Ninja, yet my wife refuses to ride it for the same reasons many of you hate it, and I've been riding it for years since it first opened. It's so pleasant and smooth a ride for us, my son and I usually have everyday, mundane, conversations as we ride it over and over again as the night progresses.

Not gonna give a lengthy trip report from our latest visit,but I'm only going to mention that we arrived at SFStL around 11a today, and...

Boomerang closed. Again. This makes the 6th time since it first "opened" that we have tried to ride the damn thing. Can we just classify this thing as SBNO and be done with it?

A couple of attendants were stationed outside of it letting people down as we approached, and they said that not only was it closed again today, but, "it was closed for a time last week(?) because of STRUCTURAL ISSUES." I have no idea what that entails. Just passing along what was said.

It's rumored that some piece of track is either cracked or has some other type of damage (likely a result of the movement of the ride and it's age), the ride has probably only operated about 50% of the time since it opened a month ago. It's done absolutely nothing to help the park in any way and has actually hurt the park is several ways and it's showing in attendance on most days, maybe SF corporate will learn a lesson but I sort of doubt that (they likely don't care that much weather SFSL is that successful or not, it's not one of the major parks in the system).

It's rumored that some piece of track is either cracked or has some other type of damage (likely a result of the movement of the ride and it's age), the ride has probably only operated about 50% of the time since it opened a month ago. It's done absolutely nothing to help the park in any way and has actually hurt the park is several ways and it's showing in attendance on most days, maybe SF corporate will learn a lesson but I sort of doubt that (they likely don't care that much weather SFSL is that successful or not, it's not one of the major parks in the system).

Right now I'd have been happier if they would have spruced up the bumper cars and the building that housed them. Would have saved a fortune as well.

And I thought I saw someone mention before (could be wrong) that they were told that the old barrel ride in the park was still operable?

Not in some time judging by the height of the trees growing up through the ride pretty much everywhere now.

IMG_0793.thumb.JPG.787668225a99a448592de44710dfd515.JPG

SFStL Hannibarrel/Powderkeg

Boomerang was one of the cheapest ride moves Six Flags has ever done, while SF did pay somebody to take the ride down in Texas, drive it here and the install it at SFSL., basically everything else that is usually contracted out when a theme park installs a new ride was done "in-house" by SFSL. Why?, because Six Flags of today is a cheap company that wants to spend as little as possile on the parks, but make guests spend more whenever they come to the parks. Boomrang was a very minor investment for the, park but since the park is getting very little ROI back from the ride,it's cost dosen't really matter.

And I thought I saw someone mention before (could be wrong) that they were told that the old barrel ride in the park was still operable?

Not in some time judging by the height of the trees growing up through the ride pretty much everywhere now.

Trees aren't growing through the ride, but it is definetly inoperable. Rumor has it that a new ride will take that spot soon.

Well, my eyes aren't as young as yours.

As for your new ride jab... SHADDUP.

Boomerang was one of the cheapest ride moves Six Flags has ever done, while SF did pay somebody to take the ride down in Texas, drive it here and the install it at SFSL., basically everything else that is usually contracted out when a theme park installs a new ride was done "in-house" by SFSL. Why?, because Six Flags of today is a cheap company that wants to spend as little as possile on the parks, but make guests spend more whenever they come to the parks. Boomrang was a very minor investment for the, park but since the park is getting very little ROI back from the ride,it's cost dosen't really matter.

Well you should be thankful you're not at SFA. They got 1 coaster since 2000. Your park got 4.

Well you should be thankful you're not at SFA. They got 1 coaster since 2000. Your park got 4.

But now that SFA can go higher with their rides, I smell a new coaster in the making!

It's rumored that some piece of track is either cracked or has some other type of damage (likely a result of the movement of the ride and it's age), the ride has probably only operated about 50% of the time since it opened a month ago.

Excellent! Finally some good news!

It's done absolutely nothing to help the park in any way and has actually hurt the park is several ways and it's showing in attendance on most days, maybe SF corporate will learn a lesson but I sort of doubt that .

Boy, what a surprise! I didn't see that coming from a mile away!

While I agree that this was the cheapest and the worst rollercoaster addition in SFSTL history, I don't have a problem with them installing this in house. Why contract out what you can do with people already on your pay roll? As far as rollercoaster complexity is concerned Boomerang makes Greezed Lightnin' look like a Yolocoaster. They have been out for a very long time, lots of parks in the chain have them, and they don't even having launching features.

Wrong. Since 2000 SFA has received Superman: Ride of Steel, Batwing, & Apocalypse. Better yet, why don't we extend the rollercoaster addition history a bit between these two because I am getting tired of the sympathy for SFA arguments:

SFA: Mind Eraser (1995), Roar (1998), The Joker's Jinx (1999), the Great Chase (1999), Two Face: the Flip Side (1999 defunct), Superman: Ride of Steel (2000), Batwing (2001), & Apocalypse (2012).

SFSTL: Batman (1995), Mr. Freeze (1998), The Boss (2000), Pandemonium (2007), American Thunder (2008), Boomerang (2013).

Also take a look at what they had before 1995:

SFA: a used woodie 1986, a very used Arrow lauched loop (1 inversion) 1993, and a kiddie coaster 1993.

SFSTL: a Mine Train, a slightly used Arrow/Vekoma looper (4 inversions), a once world record holding woodie, and a kiddie coaster

SFSTL was a park that already had more and better despite being a much newer park. Also note that SFSTL had their first looper (brand new when it was added mind you) in 1981 vs. 1993, had an additional track of the Mine Train, and had their first coaster in 1971 whereas SFA had their first on in 1986. SFSTL was the better park from the beginning and should not be compared to SFA. SFA should be compared more to Frontier City as that is pretty much what the park was for the longest time. Premier put too much into SFA and not enough in SFSTL.

It looks to me as though SFA has actually received more investment than SFSTL based on coaster count. The issue is Premier managed Six Flags hasn't added the right coasters to help SFSTL improve themselves competitively.

The American Thunder did not address the parks needs as it was the only park in the local area that had two wooden coasters at the time and had WoF clearly licked. After the American Thunder was added the very next year WoF invested $1million more than SFSTL and got a GCI that made theirs look insignificant. An addition for the sake of addition doesn't automatically guarantee success. Also look at how things have changed since 2000:

SFSTL was clearly the king when it came to coasters in the local area. Having the two tallest wooden coasters in the region, the only inverted coaster, the only lauched coaster, a competitive looper, and a mine train.

WoF was nearly on the ropes having attendance that fell below 1 million for the first time in years, the Orient Express was failing, Boomerang was not a successful addition, Mamba was good but was having to carry all the park, did Cedar Fair do as Premier managed Six Flags would do of cut their losses and leave it for dead (see SFNO, SFAW, & SFKK), nope, they added spinning dragons, Patriot, and Prowler each of which added a new better experience and the park is competitive again.

Silver Dollar City was many things a rollercoaster goers park it was not. It was a good park, but more of a family park. Since 2000 they added an impressive looper, a unique air launched coaster, and what appears to be the new best woodie in the region (possibly one of the best nationally). Silver Dollar City now is a serious contender when it comes to rollercoasters.

WoF and Silver Dollar City have caught up and a broken Boomerang isn't going to cut it. In fact, having an old ride like this that is having reliability problems and from what I have heard from people whom have ridden it, it IS rough, reinforces the reputation that SFSTL is an "old, worn out park" (not my words, but people from the General Public).

Six Flags needs to careful about their strategy. If a B&M or Intamin is out side the realms of possibility for this park, they should at least look at some of the others for unique additions which would make this park stand out.

Whenever I said that most of Boomerang movement maintenance/electrical, etc. was done "in house", I meant that a lot more than usual was done "in house", usually Six Flags will contract out some of the work, but they choose not to with this ride and put the pressure on the parks staff to make the changes made to the ride when it was moved here, this is a lot of the reason why the ride didn't open until June and was behind schedule by a week. I don't really want to blame the park for the ride not working, but whenever your given crap to work with and don't really have the correct resources from SF corporate, the chances of Boomerang being a reliable ride are pretty slim.

Boomerangs are everywhere and we can't get ours to work. Sad, very sad. At least it looks cool.

Thank God Kings Island is only 5 hours away.

And when, oh when, are they going to do something about that pathetic Moon Car Layout ???? Gotta be the worst ride in any Amusement Park. Not even worth a walk-on's wait. What were they thinking??? Either yank the lame attraction or rebuild it somewhere else with a good layout and some descent landscaping.

The Park is salvagable, just needs some major capital.

^ I agree about the Moon Cars. I used to ride it every visit, but I have not ridden it since American Thunder was constructed because the new layout is so lame and such a waste of time. I mean sure its cool you drive through a wooden coasters structure but its still not enticing enough to ride it.

Boomerangs are everywhere and we can't get ours to work. Sad, very sad. At least it looks cool.

Thank God Kings Island is only 5 hours away.

Amen to that, brother. KI is a great park. I'll be going back for their 2014 addition, for sure.

Your other better alternatives to SFSTL are:

Silver Dollar City

Six Flags Great America

Holiday World (value/cleanliness)

Also probably within a few years: Kentucky Kingdom and WOF (tied for now IMO)

I'm boycotting SFSTL until they step up to the plate with a new big boy ride. This year I'm getting my fix at Carowinds and maybe Silver Dollar City. Keep giving the park attendance and corporate won't do anything to really improve the park. I really think they see SFSTL as sustainable income, and nothing more.

Starve their attendance numbers and they will do one of two things:

1) Bring a new major addition or two to bring numbers back (just as WOF did)

2) Close their doors and someone private will more than likely buy the park a couple years down the road.nThis is drastic, but at this point I could care less. (the ends are worth the means IMO)

So far I've talked two families into going to HW this year, instead of SFSTL. I'm doing my part.

^ That boycott plan of yours could possibly just make things worse. No attendance means no currency for the park. If the park is not making the numbers, therefore the park can't afford the a$10,000000 attraction (at least in SF corporate eyes). But it might work for your idea for Six Flags to potentially list the park.

Wrong. Since 2000 SFA has received Superman: Ride of Steel, Batwing, & Apocalypse.

First off, your both wrong. Secondly, this argument is so completely stupid it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Yes, both parks are prime for something big and new. Congratulations. I hope you didn't need a masters degree to figure that brain child out.

But the reality is this - SFSL certainly has seen it's better share of capital in the last ten years at both the rides and water park. And yes, that might include a re-located coaster and some new love for an older ride, but so what? Would you rather they be doing NOTHING instead?

SFSL has 9 coasters. 7 of them are at least half-way decent. The other one is a Boomerang, which love it or hate it, always seems to be a crowd favorite, and then there is Ninja, I'm sorry. But there are certainly parks with a WORSE lineup out there.

I'm sure there are some Florida locals here that would LOVE to have three woodies in one park. And we only have three within the entire state!

What I'm saying is this - bitch up a storm all you want - you're not that bad off, and you have a selection of decent parks around you. Quit your complaining. It's annoying.

--Robb

Edited by robbalvey

I'm boycotting SFSTL until they step up to the plate with a new big boy ride.

Wow. How stupid of you. I hope that SFSL doesn't ever get something that pleases you, just to spite you.

Starve their attendance numbers and they will do one of two things:

1) Bring a new major addition or two to bring numbers back (just as WOF did)

2) Close their doors and someone private will more than likely buy the park a couple years down the road.

Really? That is your master plan? Your brain child? What you think will work, huh?

You *actually think* that closing the doors on a park that has a B&M invert, a decent GCI woodie, an awesome Premier launched coaster, a still decent some-what classic woodie, a fun spinner and mine train, a classic dark ride, and a half-way decent water park is the BETTER option? You want them to go Astroworld on your park???

Yeah, you're RIGHT! Boycott that crappy park! SHOW THEM WHO'S REALLY THE BOSS!!!

*shakes head*

--Robb "Embarrassed that TPR members could be this dumb." Alvey

Edited by robbalvey