TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Jack Sparrow and POTC: The Ride

What is your reaction to Disney's plans to add Jack Sparrow and other elements from the POTC movies to the POTC rides at DL and WDW?  

1. 1. What is your reaction to Disney's plans to add Jack Sparrow and other elements from the POTC movies to the POTC rides at DL and WDW?

It seems that the "extreme makeover" of DL's classic Pirates of the Caribbean is a go, according to Al Lutz at Miceage.com. You can read all about it here, but beware mates--thar be spoilers there!: http://miceage.com/allutz/al110805a.htm . Properly warned be ye, sez I!

According to Lutz, Jack Sparrow and Barbossa AAs will be joining the other pirates, as will the voice of Davy Jones. The rehab also calls for upgrading the sound and ride effects. While the city-burning show scene will reamain largely unchanged, WDI will be adding Sparrow to some other scenes, and Barbossa will be commanding the Wicked Wench (which will be turned into, of course, the Black Pearl). WDW's version will receive similar treatment. These additions will tie into the next two POTC flicks.

So, cast yer votes, swabs!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YARRRGGGG!!!! Them Disney scalywags better be makin thy proper changes sez I!!!!

Im fully with the changes!!! Disney is everchanging for good or for bad!!! But I definetly believe this is for the good. POTC will once again come alive and bring in the crowds and will usher in the newer generation! I know there are Hardcore Disney fans that think its taboo to change the Disney Rides around such as POTC!! But I do hate to say that it is getting outdated with all the changes going on around it. It is definitly in need for an update!!

Get with the times and make the changes.

But thruthfully overall I would be happy either way!

Strongly disfavorable, I hate how they are taking a classic ride and updating it to go along with a movie. What's next, an Eddie Murphy character added into the Haunted Mansion?

Considering that movie was a 40-megaton bomb, not bloody likely.

I am somewhat torn. I love Pirates. It probably has to most in-depth story, ever told in a ride fashion. And of course, its a classic, an icon, and still very popular.

But more and more, I am hearing from people that they dont care for it...they find it boring. And Im not hearing this from teenagers. Im hearing it from the adults, who have been riding this thing for the almost 38-39 some odd years its been operating. It needs a change...it needs an update. I dont quite know if this is the way to go about it, but we will have to wait and see.

Hoestly...I dont think this is the way it would happen, but, in response to the arguement of this being "Walts last", I think he would want it changed too.

Strongly disfavorable, I hate how they are taking a classic ride and updating it to go along with a movie. What's next, an Eddie Murphy character added into the Haunted Mansion?

Welll.....you never know. One of the things that came out during that time was the Jennifer Tilly had in her contract that, if the movie recouped it's costs, then she would be inserted into the ride as Madam Leota. But, I agree, seeing the movie tanked, I doubt that will happen. Also, I don't know if it's true at all, so that doesn't hurt either.

In terms of the Pirates thing, who knows. I felt a little weird about it at first, but maybe it'll be for the best. As long as it keep changing after this. Pirates is timeless for a reason, because it wasn't associated to anything. Once it becomes associated with something, it gets caught in a trap of being old or out of date. That's the one thing that worries me.

Al Lutz really annoys me... just a pet peeve.

He is a rather polarizing figure among the hard-core Disneyites. For my part, I think he oftens comes up with interesting stuff, but his writing style is a bit repetitive and irritating--his often snarky, often irrelevant asides, for example, and his tendency to beat the same points into the ground, week after week.

But this poll and thread aren't meant to be about Al Lutz--just Disney's plan to change POTC.

I love the movie and the ride, but I just consider the movie a spinoff, not the same thing. So I am somewhat disfavorable.

What I DO like about what their doing is bringing back some of the old animatronics (the girl in the barrel) and updating the soundtrack.

Interesting poll so far--absolutely no one is "neutral."

I in the "somewhat favorable" category--and I'll definitely want to check out the results. I was lurking around the "Micechat" boards, and there are some pretty strong feelings about this there--leaning toward "oh, God in heaven, no!"

Well, thar be good and bad, mates. The only strong concern in this old swab is losing yet another Paul Frees voice performance--he was one of the best (right up there with Mel Blanc). His voice will still be there (just not in the ship battle scene). And I wonder if Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush will give their voices to the Sparrow and Barbossa AAs?

Welll.....you never know. One of the things that came out during that time was the Jennifer Tilly had in her contract that, if the movie recouped it's costs, then she would be inserted into the ride as Madam Leota. But, I agree, seeing the movie tanked, I doubt that will happen. Also, I don't know if it's true at all, so that doesn't hurt either.

In terms of the Pirates thing, who knows. I felt a little weird about it at first, but maybe it'll be for the best. As long as it keep changing after this. Pirates is timeless for a reason, because it wasn't associated to anything. Once it becomes associated with something, it gets caught in a trap of being old or out of date. That's the one thing that worries me.

I remember Jennifer Tilly saying something to that effect. Well, as long as they keep "Chucky" off the ride . . .

and his tendency to beat the same points into the ground, week after week.

*Cough* California Adventure *Cough*

Well, that may have something to do with it...

Well, if they are paying customers, they deserve it to not be a boring expirence...regardless of how long they have been on it.

No matter what they cosmetically change, I want them to fix the problem of boats stacking at the base of the lift!!!

No matter what they cosmetically change, I want them to fix the problem of boats stacking at the base of the lift!!!

If they fix it there, they gotta send that fix to all the other Disney boat rides like it. I still have nightmares being stuck in the "Snow Blind room" of Small World for a half an hour.

Try riding Small World after a spin on the Tea Cups sometime--between the slight rocking of the boat and the repetition of that song . . .

Bad things, man!

I have no problem with them adding these characters to the attractions. Its not like they're going to take out every other character and make the rides soley based on the movie (unlike say AE). It will be a nice meshing for the youth of today to see a few characters they already know from the movie before going to the park for the first time. Who knows, maybe in a few years we'll see a nice Kiera Knightly animatronic