TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I always do the surveys. I am always hoping to win tickets for my friends. Hasn't happened yet. Also, I do like to leave feedback, both positive and negative, in case somebody is paying attention at corporate.

Right now the big question is do we go tomorrow or just do it today? Last Saturday was a nightmare crowd, from what I was told by a friend that went. Not feelin' it today but a big cold front is coming Sunday that will make it miserable to ride coasters on, if they run them. Monday's high is 32! Trying to decide if we should make the gamble it buck up and do it today.

Decisions decisions.

^I don't think anyone important at SFoT checks here...same with SFMM. You can tell the parks that care and respond to customers on social media and in general. Unfortunately two of the largest SF parks just don't care.

Which is totally sad…

Now, I know this might sound a bit harsh, so please don't take me for being an A$$, but I think SF Corp needs to completely clean house for 2014 season at SFOT. I'm talking Management, Ride Ops, Food Service Employees, EVERY department. I'm not one for people losing jobs, but I'm also not one for people doing a piss poor job either. I think this would benefit the Park tremendously. Again, I'm not trying to be a jerk here.

I think it would be very difficult for a company to simply replace that many employees.

Not necessarily...Promoting/hiring from within, transferring employees from other parks, Job Fair with a great interview process. Just a few options. It could be done. Will it? No. But it is very possible.

Keep in mind that it also depends on where the park is mostly hiring from. For example, Cedar Point usually beings most of its people in from farther away to work there and provide quite a bit of housing. They can afford to be more restrictive with who they hire. Now I don't know if OT provides housing or is able to bring in many non-local employees, but if not, then chances are that they can't be as restrictive on who they hire to work.

I think if they improved their training methods, be a little stricter on consequences for the employees, they would be able to weed out the bad employees from the good ones.

^I don't think anyone important at SFoT checks here...same with SFMM. You can tell the parks that care and respond to customers on social media and in general. Unfortunately two of the largest SF parks just don't care.

Which is totally sad…

Yeah this is sad to hear about. Doesn't KI have a person who checks all the social media stuff and actually suggests some of the things said to management? Or was that some place else?

Let's just hope it would be a temporary thing. Actually I think SFOT was way better than SFMM.

About coaster/ride choice, I think SFOT also wins SFMM.

Shockwave>Revolution

Titan>Goliath for Helix-O-Death

Judge Roy Scream>Colossus

Mr. Freeze>S:EFK (it's hard to compare these two though)

Batman=Batman

NTaG>Possibly everything at SFMM

But Lex Luthor beats Superman.

Let's just hope it would be a temporary thing. Actually I think SFOT was way better than SFMM.

About coaster/ride choice, I think SFOT also wins SFMM.

Shockwave>Revolution

Titan>Goliath for Helix-O-Death

Judge Roy Scream>Colossus

Mr. Freeze>S:EFK (it's hard to compare these two though)

Batman=Batman

NTaG>Possibly everything at SFMM

But Lex Luthor beats Superman.

What about x2, Tatsu and Full Throttle. Yeah SFMM to me has the better line up. That's coming from a SFOT fan.

My thoughts on operations at SFOT or the lack there of. It really comes down to management. I believe they changed out management at the park about 2 years ago and since I've seen customer service and operations fall. I used to rank SFOT as a top park on my list. Just look at SFFT just a few hrs away with its great management staff. It's almost like the parks have swapped because it was only in the last few years that I notice SFFT operations getting better. I feel the park could benefit big just from replacing the management team because the park has the potential to be great again like before.

I agree with you regarding SFFT! I had never been there till this past summer. I have been going to SFOT since I was 5 or 6 years old, back in 1979-80. My only other park experiences have been SFAW (back when it was just AW) and Frontier City, in OKC. I always felt like OT was the superior park, by far. This past summer we went down to San Antonio, and went to SFFT. Where it is a smaller park, we were very impressed by it. I was especially impressed with how efficient they were. Lines didn't seem stagnant, and it seemed more "guest friendly." In fact, I was telling a friend today, while in line for Texas Giant, about how they have test seats outside a lot of their coasters, and several have rows with restraints designed for large people (ya, we were talking about the accident). The atmosphere was great, and my family loved the "Lone Star Nights" fireworks/laser show they did on the cliff wall at closing time. We want to go back. SFOT rides are better and in more supply, but overall I thought SFFT was a better park. They seemed to be all about the experience and did a great job at it.

It's unfortunate that so many SF parks seem to be poorly managed, I have SFDK near me and although I do enjoy it, I seem to run into problems quite frequently.

I am visiting SFOT for the first time on Monday, any suggestions?

Layers. Wear lots of layers and gloves. High isn't supposed to get above 32.

Yeah, I saw that, and considering I'm coming from Northern California where we're seeing high 60's to low 70's, it's going to be a bit of a shock stepping off of the plane. At least I have an early flight, so the temps should be low when I'm leaving, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

When I visited SFOT in 2003, the Oil Derrick was closed. I never see any mention of it, or pics from the top of it, so is the Oil Derrick still closed?

It is closed during Holiday in the Park and on windy days. We went up it a couple of times this past summer.

image.jpg.4d0d9f4e2bc6e8e6fc19a904006db147.jpg

Yeah, I saw that, and considering I'm coming from Northern California where we're seeing high 60's to low 70's, it's going to be a bit of a shock stepping off of the plane. At least I have an early flight, so the temps should be low when I'm leaving, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Fair warning, not very many rides were open today due to the cold.

Fair warning, not very many rides were open today due to the cold.

The park just posted they are closed tomorrow.

Thanks for an amazing season! Due to freezing temperatures, the park will be closed tomorrow. The Season Pass processing center will still be open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.

Sorry man.

^ Thanks for the response! I just didn't know if it was operable anymore because no one ever talks about it lol!

I don't see that going anywhere. Of course, I never imagines the parachutes going. There is a neat you tube video that I stumbled upon from 1987. It was a pretty decent quality for the time. They shot it from the top of the tower. I was a teenager that summer and it brought back memories for me. He gets good footage of The Spinnaker and that airplane ride that was removed for the Superman tower. They got the Shock Wave and it's white paint job and no go-kart track. It gives a glimpse of Spindle Top, the Cliffhanger, and Runaway Mine Train. This was pre-Texas Giant. They even do a little POV on Shock Wave. It was cool. Just search Six Flags Over Texas from tower 1987.

^ Thanks for the response! I just didn't know if it was operable anymore because no one ever talks about it lol!

I don't see that going anywhere. Of course, I never imagines the parachutes going. There is a neat you tube video that I stumbled upon from 1987. It was a pretty decent quality for the time. They shot it from the top of the tower. I was a teenager that summer and it brought back memories for me. He gets good footage of The Spinnaker and that airplane ride that was removed for the Superman tower. They got the Shock Wave and it's white paint job and no go-kart track. It gives a glimpse of Spindle Top, the Cliffhanger, and Runaway Mine Train. This was pre-Texas Giant. They even do a little POV on Shock Wave. It was cool. Just search Six Flags Over Texas from tower 1987.

I'll definitely be checking that out! It sounds really cool!

EDIT: Here is a link to the video

Cool! Thanks. Looks like he has a few oldies on his page. I noticed a Spelunker one, too. He also got the bobsled ride as I always remember it, in blue! Before they changed it from "Avalanche Bobsled" to the Spanish name. If I remember correctly, that was the year it opened. That year or shortly before or after. I remember wanting to ride it real bad. I got on it and thought, "Where's the beef?" LOL. Thanks again for posting the link.

Check this one one out. It'll blow your mind. This guy posted the video of him and his family visiting SFOT in 1962. The park was on its 2nd year. The video was great. His dad apparently followed them around the park. Lots of LaSalle boat adventure, and slides. The one area I could recognize (besides the entry, boatride, and the schoolhouse) was the Texas Depot. My kids even recognized what was NOT there behind it (NTAG). Way cool. Enjoy.

^ That Mouse Coaster in the video, is that Cucaracha?

That's before my time, so I haven't the faintest idea. Maybe someone more seasoned or at least more up on SF history would know. My SF memories go back to 79. I have vague memories of the LaSalle ride and the cable cars going over our head. I also have memories of my mom coming off Shock Wave losing her mind from excitement. It was best thing she'd ever ridden and had to get all of her friends and family to come down from Wichita, Kansas to come ride it. We had just barely moved down here from up there. All we had up there was an old woodie from the 40's at a little, now abandoned theme park called "Joyland." Which, incidentally, was my first coaster ride, at 4 or 5 years old before we came to Texas. That was the most any of us had ever seen out of a theme park. Shock Wave was pretty eye popping.

That woodie is SPNO, to this day. Sad thing. They have had many people try to buy and reopen the park, and it's yet to happen.