TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Super Nintendo World unveiled!

Usually the morbidly obese that attend theme parks know that there is a likely chance of them not fitting into certain rides. So I doubt that Universal will be turning away that many "revelers" as the article is suggesting.

Its more depressing to see the average weight of Americans that high. But if your weight is causing you problems and preventing you from doing things that you'd like to do, the park shouldn't have to cater to you. You need to work on you.

Ugh, that article is annoying to read frankly. The only positive part is the last part about the man making it his personal goal to better his own life and being able to ride a ride he wants to ride is just a positive side effect of this goal. Ride designers can't design around every single body type, and frankly being disappointed because you don't fit into a restraint due to weighing 265 pounds at 5'-8" when a healthy weight (depending on frame size, source, etc.) is in the range of 145-170 is a little ridiculous. Being close to or more than 100 pounds overweight is going to restrain you from doing certain things, and fitting into the restraints on some rides is one of these things. Three years ago I was beginning to reach levels of obesity (235 pounds at 6'-0") and was starting to have troubles on rides such as Top Thrill Dragster and Millennium Force with the seatbelts just barely fitting. The summer between my freshman and sophomore years of college (two years ago) I decided I was finished with being so overweight and made it my personal goal to make sure I never had to worry about not being able to participate in my favorite hobby due to weight so I started losing weight and have lost 70 pounds since then. It's really not that hard to lose weight and complaining because you want the world to revolve around your body dimensions is a little much. Well that's all the ranting I need to do for the month, onto something positive

I'm in the process of planning my trip next winter to Universal Studios and the excitement level has jumped greatly since the opening of this land. Everything appears to be of the highest quality and really immerses the visitors in the atmosphere of Harry Potter. I would call myself a mild fan of Harry Potter in the sense that I have read four of the books, seen all the movies, and know the basics of the story but would not be able to tell you all of the little details involved such as names of minor characters, spells, etc. yet everything in the land responds to something I remember from the series, so I think they were successful in reaching out to more than just the die-hard fans. I can't wait to get back and ride FJ and see for myself how amazing it appears to be. I will forever miss the old Dueling Dragons entrance and the Oak Tree Tavern (I think that was its name...) but progress is necessary and when it's this level of quality, I don't mind losing a few bits of theming. They're still in my memory and now I will be able to make some new memories next time I visit.

All I can say about that is; if you know your really fat, you shouldn't be trying to squeeze into a roller coaster, you should be trying to squeeze into a gym.

I don't know how someone could be upset at the park because THEY can't fit in the ride. Its not the park's fault YOUR fat. They do their best to accommodate a vast majority of the guests.

I didn't bring it up in my previous posts as I didn't want to cause a stir. Since it's already brought up, here was my experience.....You guys are focusing on the "fat" part of the issue. To me, that's not the whole issue. I'm 6'5" and ~270 pounds. Sure, I'm a bit over weight, but no where near obese. I don't think 6'5" is ridiculously tall either. In my case, the issue wasn't my weight, it was my height. The restraints pushed down on my shoulders before it hit my stomach. They couldn't manage to fit a seat that fit slightly taller people? I got 2 clicks, but couldn't get the 3rd. My worry was my son as he won't ride any ride by himself for the first time. There was a lady with us that wasn't obese by any standard. She rode the first time with no issue. We called them to come up and ride with my son (we were taken to the "special" loading station). After just getting off the ride, she couldn't get 3 clicks in that loading station. We ended up just sending the 2 kids on by themselves.

I knew of the issue before hand, so wasn't really surprised. I was surprised that all seats aren't nearly the same size as one seat I couldn't get one click in, the inner seat I got 1, and the outer right seat I got 2. Add to the fact that the lady with use rode in the normal queue with no issues at all (wasn't any type of struggle to get the 3 clicks), then couldn't ride in the special queue, something is not right.

In addition, there was absolutely *NO* warnings that if you aren't 5'10" and 150lbs, you may not be able to ride. I read every sign expecting some type of disclaimer, but there was none. If I would have waited in that line for over 2 hours like I did, and not know I wouldn't be able to ride, I would have been extremely angry.

I didn't bring it up in my previous posts as I didn't want to cause a stir. Since it's already brought up, here was my experience.....You guys are focusing on the "fat" part of the issue. To me, that's not the whole issue. I'm 6'5" and ~270 pounds. Sure, I'm a bit over weight, but no where near obese. I don't think 6'5" is ridiculously tall either. In my case, the issue wasn't my weight, it was my height. The restraints pushed down on my shoulders before it hit my stomach. They couldn't manage to fit a seat that fit slightly taller people? I got 2 clicks, but couldn't get the 3rd. My worry was my son as he won't ride any ride by himself for the first time. There was a lady with us that wasn't obese by any standard. She rode the first time with no issue. We called them to come up and ride with my son (we were taken to the "special" loading station). After just getting off the ride, she couldn't get 3 clicks in that loading station. We ended up just sending the 2 kids on by themselves.

I knew of the issue before hand, so wasn't really surprised. I was surprised that all seats aren't nearly the same size as one seat I couldn't get one click in, the inner seat I got 1, and the outer right seat I got 2. Add to the fact that the lady with use rode in the normal queue with no issues at all (wasn't any type of struggle to get the 3 clicks), then couldn't ride in the special queue, something is not right.

In addition, there was absolutely *NO* warnings that if you aren't 5'10" and 150lbs, you may not be able to ride. I read every sign expecting some type of disclaimer, but there was none. If I would have waited in that line for over 2 hours like I did, and not know I wouldn't be able to ride, I would have been extremely angry.

What's your inseam?

Seems the trick is to go either really early or really late. We were walking through the front gates if IOA by 8:30 and joined the line for WWoHP right around Bilge-rat Barge. By 9:30 (30 mins after park opening) we were in. Left after about an hour or two and watched the line throughout the rest of the day (while riding other rides). It eventually extended back as far as Superhero Island (we were told at that point that it was a 5 hr wait), but by about 1:30/2:00, you could walk right into WWoHP without waiting. Line for HP:FJ stayed around 1-1.5 hrs throughout the day. Was a little disheartened to see two of my favorite effects not working on my first ride, but only one (known) effect not working on the other couple rides (the said effect is one where you're pulled pack through a fog screen and you can see your face in the fog [projected of course... won't go into detail on the exact place in the ride where that happens as it might ruin some "surprises", but it's towards the end]... it's a VERY cool effect)...

Got to the park at 3:30 on Wednesday. Walked right into the area. FJ had a posted 90min line, that was closer to 70 minutes. It looked by 8 pm or so like it was legitimately 90min, however.

The bigger issue was that the shops were beyond slammed -- probably had a 1-2 hour line themselves. It was like an Indian train inside. Enchanted Oak Tavern was understaffed, which was criminal. The 45 min line to order was bad enough, but what was worse is that half the tables in the place were empty -- they couldn't get people food fast enough to fill the tables.

I didn't bring it up in my previous posts as I didn't want to cause a stir. Since it's already brought up, here was my experience.....You guys are focusing on the "fat" part of the issue. To me, that's not the whole issue. I'm 6'5" and ~270 pounds. Sure, I'm a bit over weight, but no where near obese. I don't think 6'5" is ridiculously tall either. In my case, the issue wasn't my weight, it was my height. The restraints pushed down on my shoulders before it hit my stomach.

What's your inseam?

32-34"

I'm assuming that that's your pant inseam (and not your true inseam). Even so, if that's the case it sounds like your problem isn't your overall height but your torso length. Your inseam is average, but your overall height is in the top 0.4% (meaning you are taller than 99.6% of adult men). This means that you must have a VERY tall torso to make up for your average leg height.

I'm assuming that that's your pant inseam (and not your true inseam). Even so, if that's the case it sounds like your problem isn't your overall height but your torso length. Your inseam is average, but your overall height is in the top 0.4% (meaning you are taller than 99.6% of adult men). This means that you must have a VERY tall torso to make up for your average leg height.

This is why I didn't bring it up to begin with. I shouldn't have to defend my height or that my big toe is 2% larger than the "general" population. I buy my 2X shirts off the rack at any store, but who cares. The point is, nothing on the ride is standard and no warnings are given. I can fit on the Hulk or any other other the shoulder harness, why did this one have to be made 2 inches shorter than the rest of the rides in the world?

I don't really care to miss the ride as hearing descriptions from family and friends, I would probably get sick anyway. Plus most of my family was disappointed in the ride itself before they even knew I didn't ride it. I got to see all of the castle and decorations, so I'm happy. Just wish it didn't take 2.5 hours.

I didn't take offense, there is always a counter-point to my point. Anything I say is most likely an exaggeration, I don't think my big toe is larger than 2% of the population. To me, there's no point of debating things of this nature, especially in a die-hard forum as you'll always have people adamant to both sides of the argument.

What's your inseam?

32-34"

If you are 6'5" with a 32-34" inseam, you have a really tall torso. I have a 32" inseam at 5'9", which means your torso is 8" taller than mine, even though we have the same waist height. That's probably what's messing up the restraints for you. You basically have the torso of a man who is 6'10".

Interesting article by Slate, once again calling it the Harry Potter theme park.

http://www.slate.com/id/2258081/

So the reason that he feels that it's not worth visiting is that Universal didn't hire 100 Streetmosphere characters?

I'm not trying to be a downer or anything, but I too was a bit underwhelmed by it all this past weekend. The new ride is great, a good addition to the park, don't get me wrong, but the pomp and circumstance of the opening just seem to be for almost nothing. 3 (relatively small) shops, a restaurant, 2 re badged rides, and a new one in a very nicely detailed castle.

The construction is top notch. Everything looks great. I'm not even a mild-Potter fan, but I recognized things from the movies I've watched with my little cousins... It just seems like there are missed opportunity abound. I do agree with the writer in that it feels like there is a bit of magic missing from it.

I know it is easier said than done, especially considering that I'm perusing a career in constructing these worlds, but... why are there not more effects littered throughout the world? Store fronts are one thing... but take Kim Possible's thing over at Epcot? The sporadic "show" pieces throughout the world for those on the missions. While they're not much at Epcot, why couldn't something similar be crafted for the village? Why couldn't you have wands issued to help fight back evil so often? Something that pulls you into the world in a way not so much as simply walking through it... How cool would it be to have a one of those wraiths attack the village?

I don't think 100s of extras roaming the streets is needed.... more than just the tournament shows or even chorus... people simply living their lives out in a magical world. I mean, half of the fun of the movies is seeing this place that is oddly familiar but sort of turned on its ears. The idea of the magical seeing/investigating the non-magical. Roving comedians in a sense that look almost reciprocally back at tourists in a state of wonderment. Stuff that simply helps one experience the feeling of the world, rather than just simply waling through it.

They've no doubt earned the money they spent on this place... so here is to hoping that they are able to keep it fresh and exciting for the years and decades to come, even when Potter is not at the fore front of pop culture.

The Slate article is odd. Although you can really tell the author has a double standard when it comes to Disney vs. Universal. Disney, for example, would not hire 100 actors to peform as streetmosphere. They are not that free with the budget. Disney does not create individual character experiences. With their attendance levels, it simply is not possible. To expect Universal to do it is then questionable. 99% of the "magic" of Disney is the themed structures, yet somehow, that's not enough for Universal. Of all the themed lands of Disney, typically it's 1 E-ticket surrounded by shops. Again, that's not enough for Universal.

Often, the attractions in a themed land of Disney have only the slightest connection to each other. HP at least attempted to tie together 2 existing rides to FJ, unlike say Monsters Laugh Floor, next to Space MT. Really, when you look at the attractions in a land done in the Disney style, it's usually the exterior architecture that is the only unifying element.

I think the author has a completely unrealistic view of what is achievable in theme park design when it's based on literature. Nothing can live up to an individual's imagination. Sure, if one loses sight of the needs of capacity, limited space, time and money the imagination can run wild. It's a bit insulting to Universal to suggest Disney would have done better with the license I seriously doubt Disney would have achieved a massively improved result given their recent track record. It's likely they would have pulled something like "Little Mermard", which is 1 new ride, heavy focus on retail, in a billion dollar expansion (3x the amount Universal spent) that really isn't breaking any new ground tech wise. Or maybe something like Everest in the mid range - which again is 1 ride surrounded by retail. Or, at the extreme high end, something like Carsland, which is 1 E-ticket, 2 flats, retail.

The Slate article is odd. Although you can really tell the author has a double standard when it comes to Disney vs. Universal. Disney, for example, would not hire 100 actors to peform as streetmosphere. They are not that free with the budget. Disney does not create individual character experiences. With their attendance levels, it simply is not possible. To expect Universal to do it is then questionable. 99% of the "magic" of Disney is the themed structures, yet somehow, that's not enough for Universal. Of all the themed lands of Disney, typically it's 1 E-ticket surrounded by shops. Again, that's not enough for Universal.

Often, the attractions in a themed land of Disney have only the slightest connection to each other. HP at least attempted to tie together 2 existing rides to FJ, unlike say Monsters Laugh Floor, next to Space MT. Really, when you look at the attractions in a land done in the Disney style, it's usually the exterior architecture that is the only unifying element.

I think the author has a completely unrealistic view of what is achievable in theme park design when it's based on literature. Nothing can live up to an individual's imagination. Sure, if one loses sight of the needs of capacity, limited space, time and money the imagination can run wild. It's a bit insulting to Universal to suggest Disney would have done better with the license I seriously doubt Disney would have achieved a massively improved result given their recent track record. It's likely they would have pulled something like "Little Mermard", which is 1 new ride, heavy focus on retail, in a billion dollar expansion (3x the amount Universal spent) that really isn't breaking any new ground tech wise. Or maybe something like Everest in the mid range - which again is 1 ride surrounded by retail. Or, at the extreme high end, something like Carsland, which is 1 E-ticket, 2 flats, retail.

I think the major difference between trying to group something like "Tomorrow Land" or "Adventure Land" with something like "Wizarding World of Harry Potter" is that one area (Disney in this case) has many different forms of IP to handle at one time. With these varying degrees of difference, a commonality exists that runs throughout their land. Using Adventure Land for an example at Magic Kingdom: you run the gamut of Middle Eastern bazaar to Caribbean sea town, shipwrecked families to a boat through the jungle. It isn't a single character or story that moves throughout the land, just the similarities that bring them together. The trick in the design process is finding the transition pieces to help the guest move through them...

While with WWoHP, you've got an entire land based solely on one property. That gives a lot of room for growth and focus, but also makes it hard in that the underlying story is what acts as the tent pole to prop up this world, if it isn't rich enough or tapped in the right manner, it can come crashing down.

http://www.clickorlando.com/news/24096094/detail.html

There's no need to travel to Hogsmeade -- or to "The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" at Universal Orlando -- to get a taste of butterbeer. The drink is one of the features of the new Harry Potter attraction at Universal's Islands of Adventure, and now the recipe for the beverage is available to all.

The 20-acre park brings the Harry Potter books and movies to life with detailed reproductions of the fictitious village of Hogsmeade, the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry and the steam-belching Hogwarts Express train.

"The Wizarding World of Harry Potter" officially opened in mid-June, and Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Bonnie Wright and Tom Felton -- Harry Potter, Ron Weasley, Ginny Weasley and Draco Malfoy, respectively -- were on hand, along with other stars of the Harry Potter film franchise. Hundreds of media members from all over the world were also on hand to cover the opening of the attraction that has been five years in the making.

With the heat index nearing 100 by Friday afternoon, many rushed immediately for an ice cold butterbeer, a staple beverage from the books which until now was offered exclusively at the Wizarding World.

Here's the recipe for the formerly fictional drink made famous by the young wizard, Harry Potter.

BUTTERBEER

Start to finish: 1 hour (10 minutes active)

Servings: 4

•1 cup light or dark brown sugar

•2 tablespoons water

•6 tablespoon butter

•1/2 teaspoon salt

•1/2 teaspoon cider vinegar

•3/4 cup heavy cream, divided

•1/2 teaspoon rum extract

•Four 12-ounce bottles cream soda

In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar and water. Bring to a gentle boil and cook, stirring often, until the mixture reads 240 F on a candy thermometer. Stir in the butter, salt, vinegar and 1/4 cup heavy cream. Set aside to cool to room temperature. Once the mixture has cooled, stir in the rum extract.

In a medium bowl, combine 2 tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture and the remaining 1/2 cup of heavy cream. Use an electric mixer to beat until just thickened, but not completely whipped, about 2 to 3 minutes.

To serve, divide the brown sugar mixture between 4 tall glasses (about 1/4 cup for each glass). Add 1/4 cup of cream soda to each glass, then stir to combine. Fill each glass nearly to the top with additional cream soda, then spoon the whipped topping over each.

It seems the Summer rush has actually pushed Universal to reopen Fear Factor Live at Universal Studios Florida...

I was able to see the show today, but I walked away just as disappointed as I did the year it opened. The show remains the same, but the subject matter just feels tired. The cast for the show had to work with some awkwardly shoehorned lines that came from the aged script, and it was clear they just weren't comfortable doing this. Worse yet, the crowd barely reacted to the show at all. The more sickening parts of the show didn't even phase the guests (maybe its because they didn't understand what was going on) and the "stunts" didn't keep anyone (from what I could tell) engaged. Probably the most embarrassing note would be the fact that some of the major effects (like the target drop at the end of the final challenge) went off with some major delays that had even the contestants wondering if they had successfully completed the challenge.

It has been mentioned here and there that this may be the final run for Fear Factor Live and, to be honest, I'm fine with that, considering today's performance. I know there are those that found some good experiences in the show (Tyler and Robby come to mind), but I think the time has come to move on to something new. With all of the amazing work Universal Creative has pulled off at the parks around the globe this year, I'm sure they can come up with a unique concept for a live show... Back to the Future: Live! anyone?

Edited by jedimaster1227

Liquor sales have been temporarily halted in the Hog's Head, among other things, to accommodate for the HP crowds.

Universal Orlando's newest addition is proving so popular this summer that the resort has begun advising guests to avoid it — at least until after 3 p.m. each day.

The resort's "Plan Your Day" brochures, which are being distributed alongside customary theme-park maps, are among the many steps Universal is taking this summer as it tries to manage the hordes of tourists flocking to its new Wizarding World of Harry Potter, the hugely hyped addition to Islands of Adventure that opened last month.

The crowd-control moves, many of which have an improvised quality to them, range from issuing rafflelike paper tickets to prevent people from cutting into the long queue that appears many mornings at the entrance to Wizarding World, to halting indefinitely the sale of liquor inside the Hog's Head tavern so the bar can more quickly move mugs of butterbeer, the sugary concoction based on a popular drink in the Harry Potter books and movies.

Of course, it's a nice problem to have for Universal. After an extended slump in which attendance slid 23 percent over five years — to 9.3 million visitors last year — the two-park resort is enjoying a renaissance with Wizarding World.

Although it has been officially open for less than a month, more than a half-million rides have been taken on Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey, the headline attraction inside Wizarding World, Universal says.

"We're thrilled with what we are seeing," Universal spokesman Tom Schroder said.

Built at the rear of Islands of Adventure, Wizarding World's effect is immediately apparent at the entrance to the theme park, which only last year was the slowest of Orlando's seven major parks with 4.6 million visitors. On one morning this week, the throngs streaming through Islands' gates were quickly met by a Universal employee brandishing a bullhorn: "Good morning, ladies and gentlemen! If you would like to experience the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, you must head to your left! It is the only entrance, to your left!"

Farther inside the park, workers applied long strips of masking tape to the ground and erected temporary barriers to guide the line that some mornings extends from Wizarding World's entrance back through the Jurassic Park and Toon Lagoon sections of Islands of Adventure. To prevent people from cutting ahead in that line, employees have been passing out small paper tickets — the small, perforated "admit one" tickets commonly used in raffles — that guests must present before they are allowed into the Potter-themed area.

On particularly busy mornings, the resort has also been distributing receipts with specific return times — similar to attractions' "fast passes" — for guests who don't want to wait in the main queue. Schroder said that extra step has helped reduce the wait times in the main queue to about an hour.

Universal has also stationed counters at the entrance and exit to Wizarding World to monitor the number of people coming and going — and so ensure the area is not completely overrun with crowds.

Other adjustments have been made inside Wizarding World, where waits of 90 minutes for Forbidden Journey and of two hours or more for the Ollivanders magic-wand show are routine.

For example, guests are at times steered to the back entrance of some shops — the Hog's Head tavern, a prime sales spot for butterbeer, and Dervish and Banges, a souvenir shop peddling everything from wands to school robes — to prevent lines from spilling out into the area's main thoroughfare.

Meanwhile, Universal says that to ease congestion inside the shops, it has added an extra outdoor merchandise cart and a half-dozen beverage stands. And it has halted sales of liquor inside Hog's Head to accommodate what Universal calls "tremendous interest" in butterbeer, though alcoholic beer and wine are still for sale in the tavern.

Schroder said the halt in selling liquor is only temporary, though it is unclear when it will start again.

The maneuvering underscores the tightrope Universal is walking this summer as it attempts to navigate the early crush of visits from Harry Potter fans. Though the long lines are evidence of Wizarding World's popularity, the resort must be careful that they do not spoil guests' experience — and deter repeat visits, which will be vital if the resort is to recoup its more than $200 million investment in the project.

And though the crowds are large now, industry experts say Universal — and other theme parks building new attractions — must always plan with an eye toward what the demand will be after the initial excitement wears off.

"You don't want to build something that takes care of 3,000 people an hour and, in a year, you're only getting 1,500 people an hour," said Lee Cockerell, a former executive vice president of operations at Walt Disney World. "If you make it too big, you've got more operating expenses."

Robert Niles, publisher of ThemeParkInsider.com, a website devoted to theme-park news, said the reviews of Universal's handling of the crowds so far have been generally positive.

"I think almost everyone understands that this is a hugely popular thing and there's going to be a lot of waiting involved, and there's going to be some kinds of weird or unusual logistics involved in getting into this," Niles said. "People are used to the fact that the really popular things are going to have lines, and you're going to have to wait for them."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/os-universal-wizarding-world-crowds-20100710,0,2975752.story