TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Extinct theme park ride types

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ I agree. In fact I don't think a number of them, flipped at all. IMhO.

Here's another one I found, which we rode in 2006, during the TPR UK Tour.

Flamingoland ~ The Tidal Wave

UK041_FlamingoLandEhRide_KumaliInBack.jpg.6b6a54bfb1bc02dd713efde0e13df79c.jpg

Nobody was impressed by it, I remember. And no flipping.

But, Kumali in the background? MUCH more impressive to everyone.

^Did Canada’s Wonderland add something like the supernova recently? I know BGW had one at some point but I could’ve sworn another park in North America installed one more recently.

The Zamperla Rotoshake, which I remember riding as Iron Eagle at SFA back in '03. That thing scared me to death.

Man, I miss Hammerhead at Knott's. Same ride. That late-90s and early-00s surge of flat ride insanity was bonkers. I hope more flat ride manufacturers get an upcoming surge. There's been too many Larson Loops and not enough Downdrafts (yeah i know it's much older than the late-90s).

I know this isn't totally "extinct" but...

What I would really enjoy riding, is an updated version of the original MAD MOUSE. Tracked the way it originally was, using the same circuit, when it was all metal etc. And use the same design for those cars, too! Front wheels (at least) 1/3-1/2 way back.

The newer more plastic-y versions (i.e. The Fly in Canada's Wonderland; Coast Rider in Knot's) are total 'ugh' to me. The original versions (even the then, updated Monster Mouse) were more thrilling and scary (and NOISY!) than the current crop.

You'd think after all the variations and themes of the larger steel coasters they've done, they could at least, take a better look and design of the original Mouse. And make it better than what they've come up with, in the past years.

MadMouse01.gif.e1fd81228fb04b365079900a7c8be15f.gif

I would love to have an original one of these, back in Playland(PNE).

playland_madmouse.jpg.0d24895a9e2d900225ac42d9fb43343e.jpg

Overhead shot. Photo c/o PNE. I loved this coaster!

^Did Canada’s Wonderland add something like the supernova recently? I know BGW had one at some point but I could’ve sworn another park in North America installed one more recently.

For the 2017 season, Canada's Wonderland added a Mondial Inferno known as Soaring Timbers. Prior to operating at Canada's Wonderland, it traveled throughout Europe as Nightfly from 1995 through 2013. The way it operates at Canada's Wonderland, they may have been better off getting a Mondial Supernova.

As for the ride that existed at Busch Gardens Williamsburg, it was a Vekoma Canyon Trip ride. It was similar to the Mondial Supernova, but featured two platforms of seats that moved towards each other throughout the ride. It operated at the park as Gladiator's Gauntlet from 1988 through 1993. The last known operating one was The Rack at the former Camelot Theme Park.