TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Discovery Kingdom (SFDK) Discussion Thread

I found this on Screamscape I thought it was interesting.A Six Flags park Themed?

Here's a quote from Screamscape.

Park News - (1/12/07) The local paper reports that media invitations have been sent out for a “landmark announcement” by Mark Shapiro that will take place on Wednesday. This is where they will announce the name change to Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, laying the old Marine World name to rest alongside its other previous name: Marine World Africa USA. In addition to the name change, they are said to be announcing that the park will be divided into three themed lands: Sky, Sea and Land.

They've been planning this name change for awhile. When I first heard it about the middle of last year, I figured that the park would finish the 2006 season with its current name, then take on the new one for 2007.

They're right on schedule...

Eric

Screamscape confirmed the announcement next Wednesday. But here's the cool part for now, they'll announce the new theme for the park: Sea, Land and Sky! The front of the park with no animals will obviously be the Sky area, so going by those cool new colors on V2, just for fun I'm calling DragonFire or Fire Dragon as the new name/theme.

Yea true....and if rumors are true they'll probably re-theme and re-paint medusa to sum sky crap

^ considering Medusa's parking lot setting, any theming is a welcome change. That's the one I'm looking forward to the most, love the ride already, can't wait to hear what's in store for the sky/flight-themed re-theming.

Knowing Six Flags, i doubt they will even change anything to do with it being a P-lot coaster. I bet they will re paint it, "theme" the station and give it another name, and thats it.

^ considering Medusa's parking lot setting, any theming is a welcome change. That's the one I'm looking forward to the most, love the ride already, can't wait to hear what's in store for the sky/flight-themed re-theming.

Knowing Six Flags, i doubt they will even change anything to do with it being a P-lot coaster. I bet they will re paint it, "theme" the station and give it another name, and thats it.

Hell yea...They'll just keep the current station, paint it and "try" to theme it.

^ So if that is true.....that'll mean that all the coasters will be in the sky themed land....except for maybe Boomerang. It actually makes sense now since of course coasters go high up in the air....I guess thats what they're trying to go for, i dont know.

The flyer basically says:

"Liz, the elephant (our elephant artist at SFMW) has been painting up a storm. Now it's time to join her as a new adventure begins!"

Followed by the Shaprio text mentioned above. I got my invitation in the mail today, and plan on heading down to Vallejo to photograph the event. I should have some great photos ready to go by Wednesday night for anyone interested.

I guess the timing of the painting of V2 makes a bit more sense now.

So word is the reason the supports are a bit "spotted/translucent" looking is because it's only the first coat of paint. V2 still has a nice bit of work to be done yet so it's a work in progress for the next month. You really have to see it in person to get a sense of what the final colors will be at this point, but the scheme is really growing on me.

Knowing Six Flags?

Obviously Six Flags is trying hard to shape their image, so you can't go by what they have done in the past.

I don't have high hopes for their changes, but hopefully they are more decent than that.

^ Yes, knowing Six Flags..meaning they usually don't too much effort in theming their coasters.

And i agree, i dont have high hopes either. for the past couple of seasons, their "additions" to the park have been horrible IMO. (i.e. Tava's Jungleland..) Although, they have done some good things ..like taking out the train to make room for more picnic tables..That was a good thing.

I just hope this year they make a huge turn around..but im not counting on it. But at least they are putting in some effort, i suppose.

^I think the point he is trying to make is that since SF is under new management, you can't predict the future based on the past anymore. Shapiro obviously is trying to turn things around, but he's only had a year to do it so far. It's hard tellin' what he'll do. He's not the old Six Flags.

You may be right, but we can't assume that's what they are going to do because that's what they've been doing the past several years. It's like having a new president that's of a different party now.

ok i've had enough of all this rumor sh!t. no one knows what they are talking about! V2 is just getting paint. no retheme. train is getting new paint too but no rethemeing no new name. it's still gonna be V2.

Medusa = no new paint. to much time to paint, so little time. i mean look how long it's taking for V2 and they still have to put on several more coats of paint for the supports.

and who every thinks the front gate is one of the lands....WRONG. think about it. 3-areas? well did u notice out of the main plaza there are 3 paths?