TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Rollercoaster Tycoon World (RCTW) Discussion Thread

While it is still a bit off-putting, I will say that the game does look far better than before. And the facts about user generated content for the game means it might have some more staying power among the creative gamers. I'm not blown away, but I'm totally okay with what was shown in that video.

• Replies 752
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they're trying to channel the spirit of Planet Coaster's marketing in their recent videos. They're failing miserably.

People are seriously overstating things around here. Here's a perfectly nice video about something that should appeal strongly to the hard-cores around here, the ability to fully customize the game, but instead of being praised the creators are said to be "failing miserably" for literally no reason.

I suppose it's just a coincidence that RCTW videos/updates usually occur when a Planet Coaster update occurs?

Looks like they're trying to channel the spirit of Planet Coaster's marketing in their recent videos. They're failing miserably.

People are seriously overstating things around here. Here's a perfectly nice video about something that should appeal strongly to the hard-cores around here, the ability to fully customize the game, but instead of being praised the creators are said to be "failing miserably" for literally no reason.

I suppose it's just a coincidence that RCTW videos/updates usually occur when a Planet Coaster update occurs?

So what if it's not? All that means is they're watching their competition, which I'm sure the Planet Coaster team is as well. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the update itself.

Im not sure what people's experience with Steam on here is... But after seeing the latest dev blog, and their huge focus on User Created Content (UCC) has me worried, and here's my reasoning:

Anyone ever hear of Cities: Skylines? You know, that game that was supposed to be the new "SimCity"? Unfortunately they focused on the same appeal... UCC. The workshop become SLAMMED with garbage. Minding you there was some quality work, but searching for it was time-consuming. There was absolutely no regulation on what was uploaded.

They've released two expansions since the initial release, and both have gotten less-than-stellar receptions. Why? Not enough content. With Modders making everything from buildings/scenery and gameplay altering scripts (a lot of times for the better) there's very little left for the devs to do it seems. The night/day cycle that was introduced with their "after dark" expansion, had been created by a modder a few months before its release, though it was improved slightly. I'm worried they're gonna release the game, and forget about it; relying on users to keep the game "fresh".

But here enlies the real problem: User Park Downloads. If you don't have the content that someone used in their park, it won't show up. So if someone were to use all custom foliage, and you didn't have any of it downloaded, the park would have no shrubbery. I'm not sure how it'll affect RCTW because the buildings are static, but with items that spawn (custom peeps?) the game uses a lot more resources, drastically increasing load times if you have a lot of UCC.

Also, they're using Unity? Get ready for a lot of unhappy customers. I don't know what optimization methods they have in store, but Cities was built on Unity as well, and that game runs like garbage even on low settings unless you have a high-end gaming PC. Take a gander at Cities' Reddit... Mostly complaints about performance.

Im not sure what people's experience with Steam on here is... But after seeing the latest dev blog, and their huge focus on User Created Content (UCC) has me worried

I've not played Cities, but you raise valid concerns. In addition, my concern with UCC seems to be a pitch that says, "We're giving you the tools to do what you want," to camouflage the truth that the revolving door of development collaborators, the poor beta reception, and the major walk-back on that initial "worse than RCT 3" trailer all suggest that they can't identify and deliver what it is we want. I like the idea of expanding above and beyond a great base game, but it seems like Atari is chucking UCC out there in the hope that we'll fill in the gaps for all that lacks in the final package. If that's the case, it proves that the wrong people were assigned to make this game in the first place.

Again, if Atari didn't get such blowback, we would have ended up with that RCT 3.1 game, or a pretty, yet dysfunctional expansion of the beta test. I hope they whip this game into shape before it's all said and done, but UCC seems like a get out of jail free card -- don't like the game? Well, then you make it better.

Jesus you're all so cynical and almost naive

So they're not focusing as much on the hardcore community, well that's because they need to appeal to a broader community in order to make a profit, because that's the whole point of developing and selling a game. If you haven't realized that by now, you've missed the boat.

Once it's released, I'll pass judgement, but I'm going to be realistic and not bash a game until it's shipped. I would hope you all do the same.

So what if it's not? All that means is they're watching their competition, which I'm sure the Planet Coaster team is as well. Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the update itself.

I feel like Frontier was never watching their "competition". They've been doing their thing and impressing fans of RCT3. Atari seems to be the desperate ones being that their game was supposed to come out over a year ago. I never said there's anything wrong with the updates (even though it depends on what you mean when you say that because some of those thrill rides looked awful). Planet Coaster just seems to be the more solid game.

I like the idea of expanding above and beyond a great base game, but it seems like Atari is chucking UCC out there in the hope that we'll fill in the gaps for all that lacks in the final package. If that's the case, it proves that the wrong people were assigned to make this game in the first place.

[...]

but UCC seems like a get out of jail free card -- don't like the game? Well, then you make it better.

^

I understand that UCC is meant for the players to expand upon the base game. But it almost seems like they're pushing out a pretty yet bare-bones version of the game, and non-directly forcing the community to create the only decent content.

Anyone ever hear of Cities: Skylines? You know, that game that was supposed to be the new "SimCity"? Unfortunately they focused on the same appeal... UCC. The workshop become SLAMMED with garbage. Minding you there was some quality work, but searching for it was time-consuming. There was absolutely no regulation on what was uploaded.

I keep going back and forth on buying this game, I used to love Sim City.

Also funny that came up after Planet Coaster used this in one of their videos:

thumb___________7.jpg

UCC seems like a get out of jail free card -- don't like the game? Well, then you make it better.

It does smack a little bit of that, cynical though it may be. "All you have to do is open up any 3D modeling program and do our job for us! Isn't it great?" Well, game developers have already been using their costumers as unpaid beta testers and bug finders, I guess this is just the next logical step.

^I second that. It's considered a resounding success, too. And sure, not everything in the workshop is excellent but you don't have to "dig through mountians of trash to get to the good stuff", you can pretty much tell at a thumbnail glance from most things, and you can remove the boring recolors by checking certain checkboxes int he filters.

And why would you assume stuff you don't have just "doesn't show up"? in other games I play when you play online with someone and they're playing with stuff you don't have, the game just downloads said stuff. That sounds like it makes more sense. or at least it might prompt you to ask if you want to.

And honestly given how much life UCC breathed into RCT3, and how hard modders tried to get custom rides into the game (which, need I remind you took like 6 years or more since the game's release, at first all we had was Custom Scenery), it would've been absolutely stupid of them NOT to have UCC supported.

And now people are accusing them of being lazy?

Hell, if anything, this is one of the only things they got RIGHT.

I think the User-Generated Content thing is a good idea. However, they should've showed us a lot more before announcing that because now people are assuming they're being lazy about creating stuff for the game. I still feel Frontier has the advantage becasue they made RCT3 and RCTW is Nvizzio's first whack at making a theme park simulator game.

So not to go too off-topic but now i'm seriously considering getting Cities:Skylines reading the above, but reading some articles it seems there a few mods that nearly every-one uses for some parts, what do you guys think of it?

So not to go too off-topic but now i'm seriously considering getting Cities:Skylines reading the above, but reading some articles it seems there a few mods that nearly every-one uses for some parts, what do you guys think of it?

Cities Skylines is by far one of the best city builders out there. Basically it's main issues are:

a. The graphics are fairly simple. This makes the game be able to run smoothly even with huge cities, but, y'know. Sometimes it's nice to have intricate buildings with elaborate architecture. You can see screenshots and see for yourself how much it does or doesn't bug you.

b. Once your reach a certain point the game is very zen. Unlike simcity 4 and such where there would always be some wrench in your plan to fix, if you plan your city well it is quite possible to reach a situation where you have a great city and everyone's happy, living a high end life, making you enough money in taxes, and the biggest issue is where are you gonna put the next dump/graveyard when the existing ones fill up. Which gives off a bit of a "...Great, now what?" feeling, at which point your city basically becomes a giant zen garden for you to play with less for the challenge and moreso as a calm idle thing to enjoy. If you're into that then by all means it's the game for you.

These are really minor issues IMO. Colossal Order proved they really know how to listen to their fans and give them what they want.

And honestly given how much life UCC breathed into RCT3, and how hard modders tried to get custom rides into the game (which, need I remind you took like 6 years or more since the game's release, at first all we had was Custom Scenery), it would've been absolutely stupid of them NOT to have UCC supported.

And now people are accusing them of being lazy?

Hell, if anything, this is one of the only things they got RIGHT.

To clarify, I'm not critical of UCC itself, nor am I deaf to the notion that it could be one of the best features about the game. I agree with you. My criticism isn't what the developers are showing, it's what they continue to not demonstrate. UCC and a couple of non-clarifying screenshots are being promoted while the community continues to wait for reassurance after giving heaps of beta test feedback a long time ago. Four months later, and I still don't know whether or not we will be able to easily design straight lift hills.

I know that negativity for its own sake is rampant on the Internet, so I'm careful to link my expressed dissatisfaction to how it can be resolved, and I don't think my requests are unreasonable. Responsiveness, not just quota-filling updates, is overdue from Nvizzio and Atari. Something as simple as, "Hey everyone, we've come a long way since the beta test weekends, and we're excited to show you some of the improvements that you've wanted to see...," would delight and reassure.

When Atari became more quiet during December and January, I think it's fair to assume that they were off to address problems and restore community confidence. Now nearing spring, and we're hearing about UCC and social sharing, which might be great features, but they didn't cause, and don't lessen, lingering skepticism.

So the dev team for RCTW released a new video today showing off "On ride footage" of one of their coasters. The reception was so bad AGAIN that they made the video private and deleted the post off their Facebook page, but because of the Internet, someone was able to save the video for all of us to watch.

Behold: RCTW and all its greatness... Haha!

[youtu_be]http://youtu.be/cZUdrr7SgLw[/youtu_be]

Hm? Seems alright, I guess. I mean, sure, the ride isn't realistic but there was plenty you could do in the first RCT games that wasn't realistic either.

Really this is nothing different than what we already knew from the beta. The question is how easy was it to BUILD said unrealistic coaster...

(Though, yeah, I am worried by the lack of straight segments in the video)

So the dev team for RCTW released a new video today showing off "On ride footage" of one of their coasters. The reception was so bad AGAIN that they made the video private and deleted the post off their Facebook page, but because of the Internet, someone was able to save the video for all of us to watch.

People are really being awful. This video does not look bad. Clearly the person designing this coaster wasn't going for realism, and guess what, neither will most of the people playing the game. The new track creation system apparently tends towards weird rampy rides, just like the old creation system resulted in awkward rides with sharp transitions, but that doesn't mean you can't make better looking rides if you try, and it says nothing about how fun the overall game is. I don't mind how this looks at all.

Ok, so the ride isnt in any relm of reality. Ok, I'll give it a pass. Then, would someone PLEASE show how we can also make REALISTIC rides? Cause so far, not a single coaster has displayed anything even remotely close to a realistic coaster. Let alone a single straight piece of tack, other then the station...

It seems to me the coaster designer is so sloppy right now that all you can make is piles of wet noodles for coasters!

People are really being awful. This video does not look bad. Clearly the person designing this coaster wasn't going for realism, and guess what, neither will most of the people playing the game. The new track creation system apparently tends towards weird rampy rides, just like the old creation system resulted in awkward rides with sharp transitions, but that doesn't mean you can't make better looking rides if you try, and it says nothing about how fun the overall game is. I don't mind how this looks at all.

I don't mind it at all either.

I also believe if this game was released as a standalone game under a different title (not even remotely referencing Roller Coaster Tycoon), then I think it would not be so heavily criticized. From that video alone, I think it would pass as an okay roller coaster game played simply for the fun of it, not for building realistic rides. I actually think the game could be potentially fun if we allow it to be.

But we hold standards to it because Atari wants this to stand with the line of other RCT games, which didn't seek to be cartoony (with the exception of RCT2 expansion packs!).

This is kind of a mess.

It's like they tried to re-invent nolimits or something and expecting anyone who hasn't

used such a system before to know how to build coasters is... well, stupid.

The only real instance where you could make any level of unrealism in the previous RCT

games (besides the extended coaster in rct3, for obvious reasons) was if you put unbanked curves

in fast places, but the games would punish you for that.

This is kind of a mess.

It's like they tried to re-invent nolimits or something and expecting anyone who hasn't

used such a system before to know how to build coasters is... well, stupid.

The only real instance where you could make any level of unrealism in the previous RCT

games (besides the extended coaster in rct3, for obvious reasons) was if you put unbanked curves

in fast places, but the games would punish you for that.

The only rides RCT could realistically replicate were older woodies with nothing but straight lines and perfectly circular turns, and Arrow hypers with triangle bunny hops. Also any ride where every drop/rise is a perfectly straight ramp.

I DO agree that the coaster designer as we saw it was flawed and needed more pre-made track segments, but I also believe they've probably improved it since then and at the very least made it easier to use. The whole point of the beta was to get feedback afterall (which they got plenty of haha).