TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Favorite Coaster at Six Flags Great America

What's Your Favorite Coaster At SFGAm?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite Coaster At SFGAm?

• American Eagle Red Side
    • American Eagle Blue Side
    • Batman The Ride
    • Demon
    • Little Dipper
    • Ragin' Cajun
    • Raging Bull
    • Superman Ultimate Flight
    • The Dark Knight Coaster
    • V2
    • Viper
    • Whizzer
    • X-Flight

I see there is a topic like this for Cedar Point but I know we have a lot of SFGAm fans here as well. What is your favorite coaster(s) at the park?

For me it's...

1. American Eagle - I prefer the red side. I love the classic feel it provides and it's such an iconic coaster at the park.

2. X-Flight - It's smooth, fun, and one of the few coasters with inversions that doesn't get me sick.

3. Viper - Very underrated little airtime machine.

4. Raging Bull - Most of the ride it's rather dull but the end packs some nice g's and the first drop in the back row is a lot of fun.

5. V2 - Decent launch and love being pulled up the back spike.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was actually a pretty hard decision!

I ended up choosing Viper. Viper is a blast in the back row! I've ridden it countless times, and I never get tired of it. It still runs great, it's hard to tell that it'll be 19 years old next year.

Whizzer was pretty close up there, as well as Batman. Whizzer is always fun, especially at night, and it's one of the first coasters I ever rode. Simply classic! Batman is still pretty intense, and even though it was cloned to death, I give this one the home field advantage. It was nice to see the fog working again when they switched it backwards, now they just need to bring back the junk pile! I'd say Whizzer and Batman are basically tied with Viper as my favorite.

Raging Bull was my first mega coaster- I waited 5 hours for it in '99 (young and dumb-I was in 7th grade), but it feels outdated now. If the line is over 45 minutes I usually don't even ride it anymore. V2 is another one I only get on if the line is short. I really like V2, but I never will wait more than 30 minutes for it, and sometimes won't unless it's 15 or less. I'd ride it a lot more often if they turned the holding brake back on.

American Eagle Red is great if it's running well. Unfortunately this year it was not. The helix trims were on really uard, which kills the 2nd half of the ride, and the airtime hills at the end were really rough. With some rehab AE Red would be at the top of my list.

Demon was my first looping coaster, and I still enjoy it. I ride it defensive and it doesn't hurt at all. Shockwave was by far my all time SFGAm favorite. It was my first "big" coaster, and I rode it well over 300 times.

I really thought when I went to GrAm in 1999 to ride Raging Bull, it would be my favorite coaster there. To my surprise, Viper was my favorite coaster by just a hair. Of course I haven't been on X-Flight yet, so that might change things when I get back to the park (hopefully soon) to ride it.

I really thought when I went to GrAm in 1999 to ride Raging Bull, it would be my favorite coaster there. To my surprise, Viper was my favorite coaster by just a hair. Of course I haven't been on X-Flight yet, so that might change things when I get back to the park (hopefully soon) to ride it.

Viper is easily one of my favorite woodies. And that's actually stacking it up against the likes of Beast and Shivering Timbers.

Raging Bull, which still ranks at the top of my favorite steel coasters even after riding coasters like Intimidator 305 and SFOG Goliath. It's one of those few rides where I wish I could plop my butt in one of those seats and don't move for hours, especially the back seat.

Viper and X Flight are very close behind though.

• 2 years later...

1) Goliath

2) Raging Bull

3) Batman: The Ride

4) Viper

5) X-Flight

6) Superman: Ultimate Flight

7) Vertical Velocity

8) American Eagle

9) Demon

10) The Dark Knight Coaster

I have not ridden Whizzer or any of the kiddie coasters.

1) Whizzer. I'm rating these based on how much fun and excitement I have, year after year. This was my first big coaster in 1981 (I was 7 or 8). As the years went on, I passed on Whizzer in favor of the new stuff. The thrill has worn off most of the new stuff, and Whizzer seems to get better and better.

2) American Eagle (red) When the brakes are off, it's a top 5 ride to me; the return run becomes "Phoenix meets Voyage." But it usually doesn't run with out brakes... sigh. I still love it, especially the *unique* huge first drop. It's very round and takes forever to get to the steepest point - after nearly stopping at the top. Very dramatic, very visual and very exciting every single time. When racing, it's a rush when the other side drops first; the loud thunder that results makes my hair stand up!

3) Demon. Other than an occasional courtesy ride, I didn't ride it for years. With the return of some effects and logos, it seems to have it's magic back. Plus, I've learned how to ride it. I usually don't care for rides you have to learn to ride defensively, but I made an exception with Demon being at my home park. The first drop is one of the few killer *snaps* we have left in all of coasterdom; it jerks you out right before the pull out. I love that spot!

Viper is easily one of my favorite woodies. And that's actually stacking it up against the likes of Beast and Shivering Timbers.

I also LOVE Viper! Even more than Beast and ST. I often think it runs better than when it was new. Which kind of makes sense with a woodie's break-in period. It's way over-built and still runs smooth. Seat #3!! Holy Cow!!! But that walk to get to and from the ride is icky.

Ranking doesn't really do this justice, since even some down near the bottom are fun. I'll try to remedy this by grouping.

World Class (one of the best anywhere):

1. Goliath

Excellent (good in every seat and can easily headline):

2. X-Flight

3. Whizzer

4. Batman

Good (may be better in some places than others; may not headline but can support well):

5. American Eagle (blue)

6. American Eagle (red)

7. Vertical Velocity

8. Spacely's Sprocket Rockets

9. Demon

10. Viper

11. Little Dipper

Merely Okay (rough, uncomfortable, or otherwise underwhelming):

12. Raging Bull

13. The Dark Knight

Tear It Down Now (Right Now!):

14. Superman: Ultimate Flight