TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

There is Roller Coaster life after a herniated disc!!

Original Subject title: Roller Coaster life after a herniated disc?

I have just been diagnosed with a torn L5 disc which has been causing severe sciatic pain on my S1 nerve. I'm on the mend and the pain level is already down, doing PT and such and it looks like it won't require surgery. I'll be talking to the doc, obviously, about short and long term impilications about my injury.

Has anyone gone through anything similar and still been able to ride coasters after they mended?

Any particular rides at DL, SFMM, and Knotts (my closest parks) to stay away from in particular (like Ghostrider, lol). Will I ever ride X2 again? Am I stuck riding "It's a Small World" on an endless loop?

Oh well, just need to concentrate on getting better. Let me know if ya'll have any experience with this.

TIA,

Edit 7/20/13

I got the go ahead from my doctor and rode Tremors, Timber Terror and Aftershock at Silverwood this weekend!! I was pretty paranoid but just thought YOLO and hopped on the dang things. Back in the saddle again, woohoo!!!

Edited by lk2500

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm no expert on this topic but my dad actually suffered a herniated disc from an injury at work. He hasn't gone on a coaster since not wanting to take the risk. To this day he has his sore days, even after having surgery many years ago. Definitely check with your doctor, perhaps explain about some of the coaster dynamics, different flat rides, and ride quality (say riding the new B&M vs the poorly maintained woodie or Vekoma/Arrow coaster).

As mentioned I think it is safe to check with your doctor as to how things are. But maybe some smooth rides like the B&M wing riders, maybe be fine for you. My mum has suffered back pains for years, and she hadn't ridden a coaster for ages because of a pinched nerve. However when I rode the swarm, I felt it was smooth and not to vigorous. So she rode it and she was fine. Her first inverting coaster if I am correct. I think some B&Ms will be fine for you and any other smooth coaster, as long as the layout isn't too harsh in changing directions so suddenly. That is from my opinion, but it depends how you are and what your doctor says. Hopefully you'll get better soon and begin to ride coasters again.

Edited by spinning man

Yeah, definitely will be checking into a brace. I would assume that I won't be riding anything this summer - give me a year to work all my core muscles. The sad thing is I'm already in shape, work out 5 times a week, lost 30 lbs, etc... I guess I wasn't doing the correct core exercises? Oh well, such is life, gotta deal with it now.

And as a reminder to you old foggies (I'm 47) and desk jockeys out there. Make sure you pay attention to your posture and get professional help in coming up with the correct workout routine, stretches etc... So you can keep riding those coasters and don't end up like me.

I had some similar injuries (not as severe) in college from football and I discussed this very thing with my doctor. He didn't have a real definitive opinion on the matter one way or the other but I think that once your rehab is complete and you feel comfortable doing normal activities riding most coasters shouldn't be an issue. I would probably still avoid something that is notoriously rough or brutal (why waste you time with those coasters anyways) but most decently smooth rides have felt fine to me ever since. I had a torn disc fragment that was basically partially severed piece of a disc that was kind of floating around and causing me a lot of pain on my sciatic nerve. My legs would randomly go numb when I sat for too long and stuff like that but after a couple of epidural shots the piece dissolved and I haven't had any issues ever since. You injury is different than mine so listen to the advice of your doctor but if you can sit and exercise and drive a car and do normal everyday things comfortably without pain then I would say riding 90% of coasters in this world shouldn't be an issue.

Also, a brace may help but it might not. A brace helps keep your muscles stabilized when your in an awkward or uncomfortable position and while riding a coaster your going to be fairly "still" and confided to a natural sitting position where a brace wouldn't do a whole lot of good. The brace might help walking around the park more than riding an actual coaster.

Thought I'd just give this one bump.

Hard to believe nobody on this board has had any back problems related to riding roller coasters. Anybody else care to weigh in?

For those not having problems - I highly recommend you purchase the book "Treat Your Own Back 9th Ed" by Robin McKenzie (about 8 bucks on Amazon). It goes through proper sitting posture and has some exercises we ALL should be doing to prevent back injuries. Most of us go through life constantly putting our backs in flexion while the natural back shape is in extension. The advice in this book will definitely help extend your roller coaster riding life span. Just wish I had read it a few years ago.

I've not had any experience with this, but the only thing I can say is that if it turns out you can't ride anymore, or at least ride as many extreme coasters, I might suggest at least trying to get into some of the amazing themed attractions in parks that are out there. While I know they don't offer as big of a "thrill" as riding roller coasters, at least there is some technology that is really improving and making dark rides, 4D movies, and other attractions look amazing!

I've broken 7 different vertebrae on two separate occasions. The second time I also had a herniated disc and wore a back brace for 6 weeks to heal. I still have back pain, but usually just when I'm straining it too much just like it would before I broke my back. After I took the brace off, I was riding coasters and other rides within a matter of months. Every situation is different though so it would be best to ask a doctor first. If anything, try tamer rides first and work your way up to wherever you are comfortable. I'm sure it depends on a lot of things like your age, physical form, what your body is used to and how tight (or how loose) a certain ride's restraints are on your upper body.

I've broken 7 different vertebrae on two separate occasions. The second time I also had a herniated disc and wore a back brace for 6 weeks to heal. I still have back pain, but usually just when I'm straining it too much just like it would before I broke my back. After I took the brace off, I was riding coasters and other rides within a matter of months. Every situation is different though so it would be best to ask a doctor first. If anything, try tamer rides first and work your way up to wherever you are comfortable. I'm sure it depends on a lot of things like your age, physical form, what your body is used to and how tight (or how loose) a certain ride's restraints are on your upper body.

Thanks brad and hilltopper, gives me some hope. I'm progressing slowly along and am just hoping it's a run of the mill torn disc like the doc says. I am going to assume that this will heal completely eventually and I will be better for it in the long run after doing the proper back strengthening exercises, etc.. I will likely not ride any coasters this summer as a precaution and see what next year brings.

I'll just continue living vicariously through ya'lls trip reports until then

• 2 weeks later...
And as a reminder to you old foggies (I'm 47) and desk jockeys out there. Make sure you pay attention to your posture and get professional help in coming up with the correct workout routine, stretches etc... So you can keep riding those coasters and don't end up like me.

Ditto. I am an old foggie too (44) and am a desk jockey all day. Never had a weak back and never saw a chiropractor in my life until this past January when I had to because my back finally went 'out'. The reason for it was years of being a desk jockey with bad posture and at a PC all day. Using a mouse caused me to lean right all day and it finally caught up with me and shut me down for 2 month's. Luckily no major damage like you but 2 month's of PT and I feel that I can ride again thankfully this year. I was worried the way I felt that I was going to have to skip this year and heal. Just wanted to reiterate his point for you youngsters to stay active, correct posture and stretch properly and regularly to extend your coasting years if you are a cube dweller.

I had a herniated L4/L5 repaired with surgery last year. I only rode one coaster last year --Skyrush---- 7 months after and I was fine. I wasn’t about to try woodies yet, but I think steel coasters from Intamin and B&M would be fine for your back. Avoid the Vekomas and Arrows for now. If you do ride, and notice anything wrong, stop immediately. Other rides like log flumes and tower rides should be no problem for ya.

My wife has had 3 surgeries for a similar problem over the past 5 years. After her 2nd one she actually got to the point where she felt comfortable riding Tower of Terror at DCA and some of the dark rides, Soarin, Pirates, etc. She even did S:EFK. But anything with twists and turns she always kind of shied away from. And obviously any rough coasters were absolutely out of the question.

She had to get a 3rd surgery last year (totally unrelated to riding any rides) and I'm not sure if/when she'll feel comfortable riding anything again.

I'd certainly talk to your doctor but it's always a tough thing. Each person is different and each injury is different.

• 3 months later...

Bumping this thread for a happy update and title change.

Edit 7/20/13

I got the go ahead from my doctor and rode Tremors, Timber Terror and Aftershock at Silverwood this weekend!! I was pretty paranoid but just thought YOLO (thanks Wes) and hopped on the dang things. Back in the saddle again, woohoo!!!

I'll try to post a mini trip report in the Silverwood thread later.

I also had a blown disc in my low back a few years ago (it happened when I was trying to get one of my dogs - he was still a puppy then at 45lbs - into the back of my car) and obviously right after it happened I wasn't interested in doing any coaster riding. It took about 6 months or so to heal up, but I went longer than that (at least a year) before I got back to riding. I was also diagnosed with degenerative disk disease in my whole lower back at the time.

And I've been riding coasters every year since, even woodies.

However, I do have to be very judicious about not so much what I ride, but where I ride, especially with woodies. Every wooden coaster (most steel coasters I don't have to worry about) I've never ridden before always gets ridden first in either the front seat or the first seat in the 2nd row. Seats close to the front are never as rough on woodies as those closer to the back, so I test out the ride's roughness in a seat I know will be one of the least offensive in that regard. If it's fine in the front, then I might decide to move back a little. I do this on many steel coasters too, but only the ones that I expect head-banging on, since that is also usually less severe closer to the front and has nothing to do with having a bad back.

Also, you have to learn to ride woodies in such a way as to minimize jack-hammering and roughness (as most woodies, even the best of them, have some degree of "roughness"). What I do is to (other than riding in the front the first time) always sit in a seat where I can brace my feet against the metal plate (normally the first seat in a row has this, the middle one almost never does) where the floor of the train meets the back of the seat in front of me, or just the very front if it's the front seat. Then I end up riding with my legs, rather like riding a horse - you brace and stabilize yourself with your legs, rather than letting your butt slam up and down on the seat itself. My legs act as a set of shock absorbers for my back, and normally I can ride most woodies very comfortably (and riding like this can also sometimes boost your airtime!). I don't need to do this with all of them, but doing so can make what would have been a rough ride a lot of fun.

Sort of like you, I also thought that I had no backseat coaster life after this injury (though for you, you thought it was coasters, period), but on my last trip to HP this summer I was finally liberated. I had always been a dedicated back seat rider for most of my coastering years, but for the last few years I've confined myself to the middle or front of the train for all woodies and most steel coasters (as said, in some cases, it's the head-banging on the steelies that does it, not roughness). Well, when I went to HP, I ended up going with some hard-core back seat riders and finally, I just figured, well, YOLO - either it will hurt and I'll just have to go the rest of the day with an aching back, or I'll actually enjoy it and have a blast. My first attempt was on Lightning Racer (which was scary for me since it is of course a woodie, and it's of the same pedigree as the truly back-breaking Wildcat, which did hurt even though I was in the front), but I was pleasantly surprised by a really awesome ride without any pain at all! I did "ride with my legs" but I was also able to ride with my hands up, something I could not do if I was trying to brace against being bashed around. Next was Skyrush - I also dreaded suffering pain in the back seat due to the extreme forces of this ride, and I had ridden a wing seat in the front and unfortunately, that did make my back ache while riding. Well, the back seat was also a total blast - IMO in many ways better than the front - I'm really glad I decided to give the back seat another try this year.

So in a nutshell, you may be able to continue to ride if you have back problems. Just choose seats that you know will be least rough for your first ride (also reading others' reviews of rides can give you a heads-up about potentially back-offending rides), and one other tip - for steel coasters that have trains where the outer seats are outside of the track width (most all B&M coasters and any "wing" type coasters like Skyrush), the seats that sit right above the track (or hang below it) will always be smoother than the outer seats. There is always more rattling and jitter on the outerseats on these types of steel coasters. So far I've never found a B&M that hurt my back, but I still tend to prefer the inner seats for more re-ride-ability.

One other thing - sadly I've found a couple of flats that hurt my back in addition to coasters - one is the Enterprise, never had a problem with it before but the sustained positive G's put too much pressure on my low back and it doesn't feel good. Also, Zamperla Disk-Os - the restraints on these are terrible if you have low back problems. I like riding them, but if my back is acting up I just can't.

I also had a blown disc in my low back a few years ago (it happened when I was trying to get one of my dogs - he was still a puppy then at 45lbs - into the back of my car) and obviously right after it happened I wasn't interested in doing any coaster riding. It took about 6 months or so to heal up, but I went longer than that (at least a year) before I got back to riding. I was also diagnosed with degenerative disk disease in my whole lower back at the time.

And I've been riding coasters every year since, even woodies.

However, I do have to be very judicious about not so much what I ride, but where I ride, especially with woodies. Every wooden coaster (most steel coasters I don't have to worry about) I've never ridden before always gets ridden first in either the front seat or the first seat in the 2nd row. Seats close to the front are never as rough on woodies as those closer to the back, so I test out the ride's roughness in a seat I know will be one of the least offensive in that regard. If it's fine in the front, then I might decide to move back a little. I do this on many steel coasters too, but only the ones that I expect head-banging on, since that is also usually less severe closer to the front and has nothing to do with having a bad back.

Also, you have to learn to ride woodies in such a way as to minimize jack-hammering and roughness (as most woodies, even the best of them, have some degree of "roughness"). What I do is to (other than riding in the front the first time) always sit in a seat where I can brace my feet against the metal plate (normally the first seat in a row has this, the middle one almost never does) where the floor of the train meets the back of the seat in front of me, or just the very front if it's the front seat. Then I end up riding with my legs, rather like riding a horse - you brace and stabilize yourself with your legs, rather than letting your butt slam up and down on the seat itself. My legs act as a set of shock absorbers for my back, and normally I can ride most woodies very comfortably (and riding like this can also sometimes boost your airtime!). I don't need to do this with all of them, but doing so can make what would have been a rough ride a lot of fun.

Sort of like you, I also thought that I had no backseat coaster life after this injury (though for you, you thought it was coasters, period), but on my last trip to HP this summer I was finally liberated. I had always been a dedicated back seat rider for most of my coastering years, but for the last few years I've confined myself to the middle or front of the train for all woodies and most steel coasters (as said, in some cases, it's the head-banging on the steelies that does it, not roughness). Well, when I went to HP, I ended up going with some hard-core back seat riders and finally, I just figured, well, YOLO - either it will hurt and I'll just have to go the rest of the day with an aching back, or I'll actually enjoy it and have a blast. My first attempt was on Lightning Racer (which was scary for me since it is of course a woodie, and it's of the same pedigree as the truly back-breaking Wildcat, which did hurt even though I was in the front), but I was pleasantly surprised by a really awesome ride without any pain at all! I did "ride with my legs" but I was also able to ride with my hands up, something I could not do if I was trying to brace against being bashed around. Next was Skyrush - I also dreaded suffering pain in the back seat due to the extreme forces of this ride, and I had ridden a wing seat in the front and unfortunately, that did make my back ache while riding. Well, the back seat was also a total blast - IMO in many ways better than the front - I'm really glad I decided to give the back seat another try this year.

So in a nutshell, you may be able to continue to ride if you have back problems. Just choose seats that you know will be least rough for your first ride (also reading others' reviews of rides can give you a heads-up about potentially back-offending rides), and one other tip - for steel coasters that have trains where the outer seats are outside of the track width (most all B&M coasters and any "wing" type coasters like Skyrush), the seats that sit right above the track (or hang below it) will always be smoother than the outer seats. There is always more rattling and jitter on the outerseats on these types of steel coasters. So far I've never found a B&M that hurt my back, but I still tend to prefer the inner seats for more re-ride-ability.

One other thing - sadly I've found a couple of flats that hurt my back in addition to coasters - one is the Enterprise, never had a problem with it before but the sustained positive G's put too much pressure on my low back and it doesn't feel good. Also, Zamperla Disk-Os - the restraints on these are terrible if you have low back problems. I like riding them, but if my back is acting up I just can't.

Very good information, thanks so much! I was actually wondering about this at Silverwood, so just tried to stick to the middle since I wasn't sure where would be rougher.

I was less worried about Aftershock more that the two woodies, but I actually had more problems riding Aftershock. I hated the head banging and trying to figure out the best position for my head. My neck was a bit sore after riding it. Looking at your tips I, of course, was riding in a wing seat towards the back of the ride (opposite of your suggestion). Figures as much, lol.

It was a great experience to get on those coasters after being so unsure about riding.

My sister has a similar problem. She had her last injection the other day.

About 5 weeks ago, she and her kids went to KI with me. She rode Beast, Racer, Flight of Fear, Flight Deck, and Stunt Track.

The rides did not hurt her due to strategic row choices. Not to mention the fabulous job they did on the retracking of Beast!

Row 5 on a 3 bench wooded coaster like Beast and Racer, and the first car on steel coasters.

• 1 year later...

Now that I'm in this unfortunate club (giant L5-S1 disc extrusion that will likely require surgery), I'm mostly viewing it as an excuse to be far more selective in what I subject my body to. I can't imagine ever riding an SLC again, but I bet our yearly trip to Knoebels continues.

• 6 months later...

I can't say I was surprised when I googled "riding rollercoasters after Herniated Disc" and it brought me to a specific topic on Them park Review. I should have looked here first!

I am 26 and just had this happen a few days ago. As of right now no surgery is needed, but they will look at it again next week. Mine is in the upper left part of the back on C5/C6. The pain was pretty miserable (especially in my neck) but all I could think about was what I can and can't do anymore. I haven't asked the doctors anything, waiting to see about the call on surgery. It is very promising to read all of these responses, and of course I'm going to get the doctor's official advice. I will be avoiding all coasters for a while, but will hopefully be able to ease back in on a B&M or something light. Fortunately is is not a major injury, so looking to be back on coasters by the end of the year! Thanks for all the stories and advice!

I can't say I was surprised when I googled "riding rollercoasters after Herniated Disc" and it brought me to a specific topic on Them park Review. I should have looked here first!

I am 26 and just had this happen a few days ago. As of right now no surgery is needed, but they will look at it again next week. Mine is in the upper left part of the back on C5/C6. The pain was pretty miserable (especially in my neck) but all I could think about was what I can and can't do anymore. I haven't asked the doctors anything, waiting to see about the call on surgery. It is very promising to read all of these responses, and of course I'm going to get the doctor's official advice. I will be avoiding all coasters for a while, but will hopefully be able to ease back in on a B&M or something light. Fortunately is is not a major injury, so looking to be back on coasters by the end of the year! Thanks for all the stories and advice!

Sorry about your injury, hope you're back to riding coasters soon. Here's to hoping you just need rest and PT for your recovery

i just broke my thumb bad last week and was bummed i'll be out a few weeks. also going to miss a 3 day knott's berry farm media shoot starting tomorrow. bad timing! if i didn't have surgery tomorrow, i'd consider giving it a go still. lol

i just broke my thumb bad last week and was bummed i'll be out a few weeks. also going to miss a 3 day knott's berry farm media shoot starting tomorrow. bad timing! if i didn't have surgery tomorrow, i'd consider giving it a go still. lol

Yup, nothing to mess with. If you injure it further before it heals entirely you could possibly be looking at surgery. At least that's how the hand doc explained it to us when my son broke a finger playing goalie.

• 2 weeks later...

Update!

I was just cleared by the Dr. yesterday that no surgery is necessary at this point. He said at the rate it is healing, as long as I take it easy for a month, I should be back to normal by end of next month. There are things I will still avoid, his main concern though was anything that could cause true whiplash. While I don't think there are any major rides that are at this level, I could be forgetting.

As far as this year goes...I have trips planned that involve possibly visiting BGW, KD, Canada's wonderland and Universal Orlando. I will start back with B&M hypers to be safe, and will go back and re read this thread for all of that advice again. Anybody know if Sledgehammer at wonderland produces a strong enough whip on the up and down motion? I would love to ride it pending it's operational.

Herniated disc was C5, C6 along with a stinger that occurred with the injury. Considering I was taken to the hospital in an ambulance and unable to truly move my neck at all, I feel blessed to even be considering riding again!