TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Strangest layouts

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not so much a layout thing, but more an odd track. Has anyone else noticed that a number of Arrow's later coasters have a different track design to their earlier models? The ties are more rounded than the usual Arrow track. Small difference, I know, but I found it odd. Was it a track design that Arrow decided to test in their later coasters? Coasters I've noticed with this different track are Tenessee Tornado, Pepsi Max Big One, Desperado and an Arrow looper in Kuwait.

Normal track:

Varient track:

^I have noticed that. I always attributed it to the company evolving, and the design was used to make the Tennessee Tornado more acrobatic than a conventional Arrow looper, but then that might have also been due to advanced technology in designing newer coasters as well. I never really questioned it anyway because I thought it looked sleeker

And while we're on the subject of strange coaster tracks, I might as well throw in Canyon Blaster at the Great Escape. The track shape switches several times throughout the ride. I'm guessing that those pieces are replacement parts for when the coaster was relocated, but again, I never really thought to question it.

There's the traditional track shape with the sharp, 90 degree edges to the braces

Track1.jpg.7deee3e037c61004b381a18332da04b8.jpg

Then there's the newer looking track with the rounded edges australianalex pointed out

And then there's whatever this thing is...

Track2.jpg.6d458197442b5ed0e941adc3e2ea9d7e.jpg

(I know it's used for brakes, but trust me, it looks really out of place in person)

Back on topic -

I've always thought that Magic Mountain's Ninja was weird, even though it's partially due to its location in the park...

Sorry I went a bit off topic, it was just something I noticed and I didn't want to create a whole new thread about it haha.

But on topic, I've always found the layout of Huracan at Belantis very odd. It's like Gerstlauer tried to make a B&M-like layout with the Cobra Roll and Interlocking Corkscrews.

• 2 weeks later...
Ninja at SFOG and Goudurix at Parc Asterix have awkward and painful layouts. That butterfly loop looks crazy.

So, you say that they HAVE painful layouts, then you say that the Butterfly loop LOOKS insane...

A very strange layout that I particularly like is that of the Hersheypark Great Bear. It's not because of the pre-drop spiral, or the strategically-constructed supports, but because of the maneuvering after the zero-G roll. You get a very interesting perspective of it while standing in Sooperdooperlooper's queue.

I've never ridden Manhattan Express, but it seems like it would be a great coaster if it wasn't manufactured by TOGO.

Every coaster at Hokkaido Greenland is just odd. Their Senyo Arrow Lopping coaster knock off try's so hard to be an Arrow but fails in the fact that the whole ride looks like it was designed in RCT3. GO-ON is just has an odd name and also looks like it was designed in RCT3 by a 8 year old GP. And finally Torokko Coaster doesn't do much and is the only coaster I know of that uses conveyor belt as a lift hill and brake system.

A very strange layout that I particularly like is that of the Hersheypark Great Bear...because of the maneuvering after the zero-G roll. You get a very interesting perspective of it while standing in Sooperdooperlooper's queue.

I've never ridden Manhattan Express, but it seems like it would be a great coaster if it wasn't manufactured by TOGO.

Completely agree with both of these. That little section is the coolest part about Great Bear and I've always thought Manhattan Express has a great-looking layout; it just doesn't ride well.

Ninja at SFOG and Goudurix at Parc Asterix have awkward and painful layouts. That butterfly loop looks crazy.

So, you say that they HAVE painful layouts, then you say that the Butterfly loop LOOKS insane...

A very strange layout that I particularly like is that of the Hersheypark Great Bear. It's not because of the pre-drop spiral, or the strategically-constructed supports, but because of the maneuvering after the zero-G roll. You get a very interesting perspective of it while standing in Sooperdooperlooper's queue.

Yes they have painful looking layouts and the Butterfly Loop looks insanely painful. That's what I was trying to point out.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone mentioned dragon mountain yet? I get the impression they started with the concept of the "worlds largest coaster" and worked backwards from there but ran out of money half way through.

Fun ride, but definitely in more of a WTF?!? way.