TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

College Football Discussion

It's getting pretty comical reading about all the Vols fan that still think Gruden is coming to coach Tennessee.

Anyways, it looks like Strong has made his decision and it should come up in the next hour. If he says no, Tennessee hasn't interviewed anyone else besides Strong or Gundy which really doesn't make sense unless there is a mystery candidate...

Edited by ernierocker

• Replies 786
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^He said no. At this rate, Tennessee may end up settling for another younger coach and hope he works out. Seems like the bigger names are just using the offer to get a better deal out of their current school.

Don't be surprised if you see Louisiana Lafayette's head coach Mark Hudspeth be one of the next coaches to land a big job in the next few weeks, he has quietly put together a VERY good program a ULL and would probably be a good fit for any program (cough cough Tennessee cough cough).

^Yeah, I don't know much about Jones but he has been pretty successful everywhere he has been at. I wonder if he was in consideration for the Wisconsin job, that might have been a better fit since his previous 2 jobs have both been in the Midwest.

^Wisconsin had reached out to Jones from what I gathered. Essentially, he was all but hired at Colorado but held back when he found out that Strong had turned down the Tennessee job. He was the one that reached out to Tennessee Wed night. He was blown away by the facilities when he brought UC down in 2010 and really wanted the job.

And my Western Kentucky Hilltoppers might have made the biggest splash of the College Football coaching off season today by hiring Bobby Petrino to replace Willie Taggert who recently left for South Florida. Haven't really decided how I feel about the hire yet but I do have faith in our President and AD to make decisions that are in the best interest of the program. I'm not going to judge the guy for his past actions like a lot of people will, I'm just going to support him until he gives me a reason not to.

Major College football is turning into big business, and we just hired one of the biggest names in the business, so we'll see how far that takes us.

Yeah we'll see how it goes, I'm not sold on him one way or the other yet but I'll give him a chance. I mean ideally he'll probably be there for 2 or 3 years, have a couple of wining seasons, then leave for a bigger job which is kind of a win win for everyone involved.

With all the small schools fighting for just 1 spot in a big money bowl, all bets are off. I think Petrino will be the first of many bigger name coaches turning to small schools to get a second chance.

• 2 weeks later...

*bump*

Lets see...

Boring bowl games, more conference realignment talk, and the coaching carousel is spinning on overdrive...must be mid December!

I'm really hoping NIU can pull off the upset. Still can't decide who I want to win the title game.

I HATE ND with all my heart. So I gotta go Bama. Just angry my Scarlet Knights are in the crappy Russell Athletic Bowl.

On another note, thid year's Cotton Bowl should be interesting! I can't wait to see how Johnny Manziel plays in his first bowl game!

• 2 weeks later...
Georgia Tech? Oh wait, they were always supposed to suck.

^^Maybe it was buried at the bottom of the schedule, kind of like how I could barely make out Georgia Tech in the "other receiving votes" category at the bottom of the AP Poll.

Wait, they play football in the ACC?

Wait, Georgia Tech has a football team?

Anyone just see that missed call by the officials in the Michigan / South Carolina? They took a measurement for first down, everyone could clearly see a gap (maybe 1-2 inch) between the ball and the stick and the official called it a first down anyway.

EDIT: Oh shit, DeVaneon Clowney just corrected the official's mistake.

Edited by larrygator