TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

New M&V & Gravity Group wooden coaster for OCT Tianjin

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, all but 1 coaster Gravity Group had built the past 4 years have all had wooden supports. The exception was Twister at Gröna Lund. They haven't built a large hybrid coaster since Ravine Flyer II in 2008.

China, why are you taking all of the good coaster designs...

Because they don't have frivolous lawsuits?

Also, because YOLO.

The United States needs another wooden coaster with comfortable airtime - like El Toro, but not as crazy. Too bad it probably won't happen (Outlaw Run just looks absolutely crazy). White Lightning does look promising though.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Because they don't have frivolous lawsuits?

I hate to think that because we haven't seen the headbanging lawsuit or the vomit lawsuit. Sadly, I know that parks fear the "airtime lawsuit" and "intensity lawsuit", even though I doubt it could happen (because of the lack of the aforementioned headbanging lawsuit or vomit lawsuit.)

Watching that POV, all I can say is HOLY OMFG AIRTIME BATMAN! This is EASILY top 5 material we have here. Now let's hope it's maintained properly, as that layout is very aggressive looking (not surprised considering it's a GG woodie) and those PTCs will tear it apart very quickly if it isn't retracked frequently and extensively like its relative Fireball (retracked in 2012 according to some RCDB photos).

Just looked at RCDB, this coaster's name has changed to "Fjord Flying Dragon" and it opened on July 27th.

^We've known the name for some time. But I do agree that this ride will probably become pretty rough pretty quickly. Why do all the M&V rides feel the need to use PTC's instead of Timberliners?

Idk if you followed TPR's last China trip, but I'm pretty sure they said that Fireball is running OMFG amazing. Also remember, it's the park who chooses the trains, not the manufacture or designers. That being said, once TGG feels comfortable with the Timberliners on bigger rides, they're going to probably require all their designs to have them. Kinda like GCI and Millennium Flyers.

^Yes, Fireball still got great reviews from the TPR group which comes as a welcome surprise.

By the way, I think the person taking that POV video was having a seizure while riding that. Other than the terrible video quality, that rides looks amazing.

^Yes, Fireball still got great reviews from the TPR group which comes as a welcome surprise.

But didn't Fireball also receive a heavy re-tracking just before TPR came there? I would like to know how Fireball was running before that, as that will give us an idea of how rough this ride is (hopefully not) going to get. And on the video, there are some POV's of the ride that are much, much worse.