TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Geauga Lake Discussion Thread

The bolts are just lame.

I would pay some cash for track to a coaster I enjoyed or had sentimental values for, but 250 is outrageous. Unfortunately RWB was already down for the count when I made my first and only trip to GL during their final summer.

Some replies from someone who either bought the coaster or is in partership with the person who purchased RWB.

http://www.freepowerboards.com/geaugalaketoday/geaugalaketoday-about1197.html

Username: theparkb

ok well i might as well just set the record straight here - i purchased the components of the wolf bobs from apex - the wolf bobs was never going to be re-built - never the plan, the dipper yes and that is still in the works with them - first of all i have nothing to do with apex, i simply purchased what they didnt want and as far as the logical choice - please anyone tell me this ride with no trains and a 300' section of track that is trashed would cost about 3.5 million to move and put back up before purchasing new trains...... now think about putting that money twards a new ride - well anyone tell me how putting this ride back up makes sence??? - the dipper absoultly - the bobs - no.

Now dont get me wrong i worked for this park for many years and it is very sad to see it go - but very park in the u.s. had the opportunity to be at this auction and purchase this ride - well bottom line - no one wanted it so yes at this point the only logical thing to do with it is scrap it out

as far as the prices on the e-bay items go they were put up as test items to see if it is worth the time to try and take peices apart to help preserve the ride in peoples homes - also i have contacted the geauga historical society and if they can get the hay baller barn i have offered a section of the ride for free so they can put up for display

so it is what it is - and that isnt going to change if it is me taking the ride down or anyone else Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:24 pm Post subject: · Quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and i will say this - please dont think i am trying to turn this into a money making scheme - however i did pay more for the ride than it was sold for during auction - and i would like to see this pay off for my time etc... - if anyone from the boards is interested in something - track, que gates, wood, whatever p.m. me with what you would like and an offer - i know most of you loved this park very much and i will try and be reasonable with prices for you guys - so you will have a peice of this park we all loved to show your kids etc...

also the reason the track is so much - it is a real pain to get off - that peice took just over an hour - and really i think that is an awesome thing to have personally..

and again please dont send mail to apex - apex has nothing to do with this sale -

this is hopefully the last time i have 2 say this - please do me personally a favor - stop with the calls and e-mails to apex - i know Tom personally and he still does not know were the dipper is going to go - he does not have any answers he is simply the middle man - and has nothing to do with c.f. and now as of last week has very little to do with the wolf bobs -

if you feel the need to send hate mail about the bobs - send it to me, not them and the dipper - you are wasting your time because he has no power over what happens to the ride and it is not going to get you anywere

well not from tom - from the guy tom is working for - who i dont even know so dont ask - i purchased the majority of the components of the ride - without going into confidential details we both still have a play in the ride - but as far as anything you guys would be concerned with would be delt with by myself not tom - thats as far as i can explain this

^ Other than not being able to use proper grammar, the guy is absolutely correct. Who would buy Raging Wolf Bobs? Seriously. That ride was total crap. Although I'm not even sure it was worth it to buy it to chop it up and sell it on Ebay!

I'm being serious when I say that it would even be difficult to sell as firewood! All the grease that's soaked into the wood could be dangerous!

The ride, IMO, is completely worthless.

--Robb

Two coasters I am very happy to see being torn down to scraps.

Rides on both of these were horrible for me, and once on each was enough.

(Though strangely I rode villain twice, don't know what I was thinking)

Hopefully the wood/steel go to better use, AKA being destroyed!

i knew GL was going as soon as it was announced XFlight was being removed

I'm actually so angry at cedar fair right now, i may consider boycotting every park they control for the rest of my life

Why? The Raging wolf bobs at Geauga lake was the first coaster i EVER rode, Double loop shortly after, my aunt took me on both when i was just barely tall enough

Ever since, the Raging Wolf was my favorite coaster in existence, call me crazy, but i could ride it for hours on end, even with all the roughness

now? it's f*****g firewood, Congratulations CF! you've officially managed to fail as a company, being too f*****g lazy to actually put some effort into a small park in favor of bulldozing it and forcing people to go to your larger parks that arent even CLOSE to being as family-friendly as GL was

Thanks, A**holes, for ruining many years of good memories with a couple short hours of demolition

/\ Being able to watch it running, and being able to ride it, is FAR different than remembering how much fun it was to ride it with friends

I never said it wasn't.

I've had favorite childhood spots bulldozed too. Wiping a place out doesn't erase memories. It only prevents new ones from being made.

I'm actually so angry at cedar fair right now, i may consider boycotting every park they control for the rest of my life

That's a good idea. You should sitck it to 'em!

/\ I was intending a while ago, but didnt have the influence, to potentially have the big dipper marked a historical location (Like historic houses)

Doing so would have forced the ride to stay on-site and be kept up as such, hopefully operating

That would have derailed the hell out of CF, but sadly, no groups really went after it past Ace, and even then, Aurora didnt give a s**t about what happened to it anyway, or the dipper and most of GL probably would still be around right now, kept as a landmark

Sorry for the double post, but...just noticed the big dipper fiasco's stupidity

Reading through it all, he purchased the ride for his buyer for ~$5k

A historic coaster for FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS

Does anyone realize how low that is? I MYSELF as a 19 year old college kid with a sales posistion could have purchased that coaster, hell, forget an apartment, i'll live in a roller coaster

in fact, without touching half my investments, i could have upped his offer by 5x without flinching, to leave the dipper onsite as a historic landmark, whether they'd like it or not

Let that sink in a moment

I always wondered how much one of the plaques would cost.

It's too bad that somebody didn't take the Little Dipper from Geauga Lake, however, I think that the relocation costs would be way too high, especially for ACE. It'll be sad to see this coaster go, but at the same time it's just a part of the coaster recycling process. This has happened many times before with coasters and entire parks and I think it's best to realize that there are still tons of parks out there with great rides.

This did not have to happen. Six Flags sold the park when it drew 2.1 million guests. Cedar Fair dropped that to 700,000. Here in Cleveland we will not forget how this was handled. Cedar Point's attendance is down. Many of us are going to Kennywood. They closed a park that families went to for generations, and lied about it. This may seem like just another park closing to some people. But here in Cleveland this is going to resonate for a long time. Cedar Fair messed this up big, it will take years for them to get their good name back, if ever. They pissed off their local market.

SFI sold the park at a time when they were fixated on spoiling SFMM,SFGRAM & SFGRADV rotten(& ruining the chain in the process) mainly because they'd neglected to fix up,or at least keep up with the park at the time which in turn led to the drop in attendance....had Shapiro been in charge who knows what may have happened? The park might still be SFWOA & open today or it may have been sold to CF anyway but whoever the new owner would have been they wouldn't have inherited a park that was so damaged that it wasn't worth fixing.

well, after my posts earlier, i felt justified to drive out there and get a few pics of the demo around the front

Villains Fan turn is GONE, entirely, to the ground, and RWB is still intact as far as i can see, it hasnt been demolished yet beyond them chopping the **** transfer up and such to sell in the stupid auctions

i may have more tomarrow, working on permission to take pictures from inside the park if they'll allow it

I'll upload pics/email them if anyone wants to see, they are like 1900x1200 so i'll need to resize them a ton to post them

Sorry For the double post, here are the pics:

(Resizing and uploading courtesy of Robb)

gl12.jpg.21ff31a4e696692ed6618f64d7a90b9e.jpg

One last shot of RWB Without it's flags, including the barbed wire stopping any good pics of the whole ride from being taken

gl11.jpg.42272054bbb525b18bb1e60df17f5106.jpg

The little red metro that could and a sentra, with dying history in the background

gl10.jpg.2fbf0142ace0cfbb06747a0c96f48b74.jpg

Close up on the Rib-breaker

gl09.jpg.6193160266102ad2c8d3db8f5a0e546d.jpg

RWB 1st TA, slightly clearer, it saddens me to see this ride rotting away

gl08.jpg.c1b69a34a19b99e76a4093e87463d65c.jpg

Villain...Being jailed, the whole fan turn is gone now

gl07.jpg.5bb79ef9f085ff175835190e2bb63c03.jpg

Station-side turn, i had to lean through a fence to get this pic >.<

gl06.jpg.86259bb0921835ecc8947ed47be81e63.jpg

RWB lift from the side

gl05.jpg.e6545c9ae8bca9e2ebfda30e0507d066.jpg

Headspin Being Dismantled

gl04.jpg.8cbea8c920222d7d408c19214a0b9205.jpg

RWB Lift, sans it's trademark flags

gl03.jpg.9755c0b62713585c342acfb9012ac48f.jpg

2nd TA, Through the trees!

gl02.jpg.87e52da3c468a504dfb26e99eaf9069f.jpg

RWB First Turnaround and the slight hill leading to the rib-crushing Left turning hill

gl01.jpg.d94d8f2ef0eeb5f0dc949edf8e7c7802.jpg

Close-up of the turn by the station on RWB

The Villain photo makes me happy. Another crap ride that will not be missed.

Yep. Now if only Predator, SOB, J2, GhostRider, Voyage, etc. would join Villain in the coaster afterlife.

OK, out of all of those, I've only been on Villain, Ghostrider and Voyage. If you're going to insist on putting Ghostrider and Voyage in the same category of hell as Villain, then I shall be forced to refer to you, sir, as a nincompoop.

Maybe I caught Ghostrider on a good day. Yes, Voyage is too intense to ride 4,000 times in a row. But I wanted off the Villain before I even got to the lift. It was so bad it made me mad. My teeth ache thinking about it and I had low expectations to begin with.

The Villain photo makes me happy. Another crap ride that will not be missed.

Yep. Now if only Predator, SOB, J2, GhostRider, Voyage, etc. would join Villain in the coaster afterlife.

OK, out of all of those, I've only been on Villain, Ghostrider and Voyage. If you're going to insist on putting Ghostrider and Voyage in the same category of hell as Villain, then I shall be forced to refer to you, sir, as a nincompoop.

Maybe I caught Ghostrider on a good day. Yes, Voyage is too intense to ride 4,000 times in a row. But I wanted off the Villain before I even got to the lift. It was so bad it made me mad. My teeth ache thinking about it and I had low expectations to begin with.

I actually added Voyage to that list as a joke.

Villain i'm not sad to see go, i rode it about a year after it opened and it easily hurts a hell of a lot worse than RWB Ever did, the g-trains jackhammer like hell on turns and villain even did it on a lot of the hills failry badly