TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Mountain/Alpine Coaster or Alpine Slide Discussion Thread

If anyone hears of any new mountain coaster installations in North America let us now is this thread.

Camelback Mountain in Tannersville, Pennsylvania has a 4,500 foot mountain coaster opening next week. http://www.cbkmountainadventures.com/attractions/Zip-Flyer-and-Mountain-Coaster.aspx

Also, Snowbird Report in Utah recently received approval for a mountain coaster that is expected to open in 2013.

Edited by larrygator

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the work on this, Larry! I had no idea that there were so many in such reasonable proximity to me. I may have to add one of these to my park excursions for the summer...

No problem at all, I don't even consider this difficult work since I'm really a big fan of Mountain Coasters, but they are really pricey. I plan to hit up 3 or 4 more on my way to and from Leviathon Bash

Edited by larrygator

No problem at all, I don't even consider this difficult work since I'm really a big fan of Mountain Coasters, but they are really pricey. I plan to hit up 3 or 4 more on my way to and from Leviathon Bash

Maybe we will meet along the way, that was my plan as well.

If anyone hears of any new mountain coaster installations in North America let us now is this thread.

Camelback Mountain in Tannersville, Pennsylvania has a 4,500 foot mountain coaster opening next week. http://www.cbkmountainadventures.com/attractions/Zip-Flyer-and-Mountain-Coaster.aspx

Also, Snowbird Report in Utah recently received approval for a mountain coaster that is expected to open in 2013.

I will be heading to Allentown this weekend for my nephew's graduation and we'll be staying with my sister for the entire week to do Dorney, Camel Beach water park in the Pocono's and (hopefully) the mountain coaster and zip line.

I saw the new mountain coaster on their website and asked my family if we could do the water park after the 4th so we could do get in the mountain coaster credit & hopefully have time to do the zip line on the same day.

I'll obviously take plenty of pics & share if we do!

This past winter I was told my maintenance that Northstar California was planning on upping their game when it comes to summer activities. It's one of two resorts in the Tahoe area that is on private land (the other being Kirkwood which is also a Vail resort now) and are allowed to operate during the summer.

They are planning on putting in a alpine coaster as well as zip-lines n stuff like that.

My family and I went to Blue Mountain to celebrate father's day. While there, we explored the village, but also had an awesome ride on their mountain coaster. It was a lot of fun and quite fast. There were some great "pops of air" and the helix's were pretty intense at full speed! Ridge runner takes a nice leisurely stroll up the lift hill. On the way up there is a great view of the low ropes course and the high ropes course. We didn't get a chance to do these on this trip, but we are heading back this week for a few days of hiking and some family fun. Once at the top, the alpine coaster takes a sharp turn and heads into a pretty substantial drop to get some great speed right away. There were a lot of drops followed by a helix with some decent banking. The lateral forces were a nice surprise. About halfway down the course, there was an uphill section (only about 5-6 feet) that provided a suprising amount of air! Anyways, it was a good ride. it cost $38 for our family - two adults and two kids as passengers. Worth the money - sure! Here are some pictures, enjoy!

1322.thumb.JPG.999d86cbc257f5aa5342de608eccd5a1.JPG

The new Ridge Runner!

1251.thumb.JPG.4a62b17294fca0540248d0d91102023d.JPG

Seated in the ride vehicle - good thing I wasn't any bigger - I wouldn't have been able to keep my hands and feet inside the train at all times.

1254.thumb.JPG.32e3f6fd441edc36161e460889089028.JPG

For the lift hill enthusiasts

1253.thumb.JPG.43ebd8a6846b9285cb1c55feb0417a9e.JPG

Going up?

1325.thumb.JPG.daa8322d5cf1db8d69c4a7799b4ae168.JPG

Some of the track from the lift.

1255.thumb.JPG.4a4c68ca654b27f43ac935f42e069e30.JPG

the close to the mountain part

1256.thumb.JPG.8e0c17ef2b626005cc83525ba90771e5.JPG

through the trees....

1257.thumb.JPG.fe7b5a3b3dcd11543fa8c4df047056f5.JPG

a bit of the rope course and the alpine coaster.

1325.thumb.JPG.309daf82cf0d1fb859670de76f6a8d75.JPG

the track crosses the lift hill multiple times.

1260.thumb.JPG.752cdc3cd862e4c77bde8ff93c1aaddd.JPG

the last helix...

1327.thumb.JPG.e90acc8851d72344d150de409c46c020.JPG

entering the break run. Notice it is not 80ft off the ground (ahem, Leviathan....)

alpine-slide.jpg.2f1b412e89e4c47bacfadf9177113bd7.jpg

nice improvement from this.

• 4 months later...

Looks like a really good one! We were supposed to get one here in Tahoe a few years back, but people said it would ruin the environment and the sound would be terrible. Anyone who has been on one knows that they aren't that loud at all (It would've been put on a ski resort with no houses nearby), and they are very low impact.

As soon as winter kicks into high gear I'm going to try to hit the 3 Mountain Coasters in the Northeast that I haven't ridden yet, in conjunction with a trip to the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown

Greek Peak Mountain, Cortland County, New York - "Nor'easter Mountain Coaster"

Mountain Creek, Vernon, New Jersey - "Alpine Mountain Coaster"

Camelback Resort, Tannersville, Pennsylvania

• 3 months later...

Looks like no Alpine Coaster for California. Oh well, I moving out of the state in a couple weeks anyways.

Lake Tahoe-area resort drops roller coaster plans

Published 5:37 pm, Saturday, March 16, 2013

OLYMPIC VALLEY, Calif. (AP) — The Squaw Valley resort near Lake Tahoe has dropped plans to build a roller coaster in a move applauded by environmentalists.

In a letter sent Thursday to Placer County officials, Squaw Valley Executive Vice President Mike Livak wrote that the resort was abandoning the "Timberline Twister" project "due to business considerations and capital priorities."

He declined to elaborate in an interview with Truckee's Sierra Sun.

The roller coaster, which was undergoing an environmental review, was intended to provide another amenity to guests. It would have featured a 3,000-foot linear track.

Tom Mooers of the conservation group Sierra Watch hails the resort's decision, saying officials "need to make sure each project fits into a broad vision for Squaw Valley in order to best safeguard the values" of the entire Tahoe area.

___

Information from: Sierra Sun.

www.sfgate.com/news/science/article/Lake-Tahoe-area-resort-drops-roller-coaster-plans-4360514.php#ixzz2NoJ2gzO5

This is a little more information on the NEW alpine coaster at CamelBak. I am looking to go on it this summer, so hopefully I will be able to contribute a little more at that time as well.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

The cost is $8 per rider, regardless of weather you are the driver or the passenger. I noticed you didn't have that included under the information on all of them in an earlier post.

The one at CamelBak is open all year round, so you can plan on gettin there any time of year. The other really nice thing they have there is the 4,000 foot zip line from the top of the mountain to the bottom. It's a very nice ride down! But, I is pretty expensive. (Something like $28 for a ride)

I was unable to squeeze the Camelback coaster in on a stop last year, but was planning to get this and two more this winter, but ran out of free time.

^Me too. I was going to go to both this and the Camel Beach water park last summer when I visited my sister, but we opted to go tubing down the Lehigh River instead - which was a blast!

I was also planning on getting to the one at Holiday Valley in Ellicottville, NY, but haven't made it out there yet. Shame because it's only about 40 minutes from my house. I will get out there eventually...and post a report when I do!

• 3 months later...

Looks like Lake Tahoe may still be getting an Alpine Coaster. Of course there is always opposition to anything in Tahoe, but I hope it works out!

www.rgj.com/article/20130630/NEWS/130630009/Panel-s-OK-alpine-coaster-Sierra-appealed

TRUCKEE, Calif. (AP) — Vail Resorts’ proposed alpine coaster attraction at the Northstar California resort near Lake Tahoe is drawing some opposition.

The Aspen Grove Owners Association cited traffic and noise impacts in its appeal of the Placer County Planning Commission’s May 23 approval of the project.

The alpine coaster, dubbed the Forest Flyer, is an all-weather, gravity-powered toboggan ride that travels on a raised steel track down the mountain.

It’s part of the company’s multi-million-dollar Epic Discovery plan designed to bolster summer recreation at its resorts. Plan call for it to eventually include zip lines, rope courses, climbing walls, and expanded hiking and mountain biking trails.

Northstar officials say it’ll allow people who may not otherwise visit the mountains to connect to the outdoors.

^thanks for the update.

Also for those keeping score. The Pigeon Forge alpine coaster in Wears Valley is still under construction and has not opened.

According to their Facebook page, the Smoky Mountain Alpine Coaster is slated to open August 1st.

When in Utah, or visiting Lagoon (redundant: why else would anybody visit Utah, for the quality of their alcoholic beverages? Skiing? OK, I'll give you that) be sure to visit the alpine slides and mountain coaster in Park City. If you're not sheepish and let your sled get up to a good speed, there are some decent drops on their older set (2 new, 2 older with different layouts for each set) where you catch decent air. Its a little freakish because I don't recall other slides I've ridden in Oregon and Colorado where you got more than just a hint of air. On the slides I mention, your cart will actually lift off the trough and be airborne, due to the steepest drops I've ever encountered on an alpine slide. The friends I was with who have ridden more alpine slides than me had the same reaction; caught us all by surprise. The mountain coaster was a blast as well; some extreme laterals if you floor it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

^I'm so glad to see more of these popping up! Hopefully one will come to SoCal soon, but since our ski resorts aren't exactly the biggest, I'm not holding my breath. I'd love to see one at Snow Summit or Bear Mountain. Right as you come into Big Bear there's that little FEC called Magic Mountain with an Alpine Slide, I think they'd be the most likely to add an Alpine Coaster.