TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

I hate to double post, but I saw two cool things posted by the park today via the Holiblog. The first is a picture of a young lady who works at the park who found out what is being built at the park. It looked like her jaw hit the floor when she found out. That's telling to me, because she works at the park, knows something big is being built for next year, and still looked completely shocked when she found out what it was. She also didn't know the picture was being taken. You can check that out here: www.holidayworld.com/holiblog/2014/06/21/get-smarter/

Now I'm thinking multiple coasters

I hate to double post, but I saw two cool things posted by the park today via the Holiblog. The first is a picture of a young lady who works at the park who found out what is being built at the park.

Maybe she just sat on a whoopee cushion.

Edited by cfc

So i know this is kind of random to the discussion of 2015, but could we possibly see a change to The Voyage like Hades 360? I dont know if it is possible, with how fast the Voyage is, but maybe in the helix some overbanked turns could happen. In Outlaw Run there is a 153 degree outside-banked turn. I dont know if they could, but maybe we could see some of these moments on the Voyage. The only thing I could see keeping it from happening is the speed and the PTC trains.

So i know this is kind of random to the discussion of 2015, but could we possibly see a change to The Voyage like Hades 360? I dont know if it is possible, with how fast the Voyage is, but maybe in the helix some overbanked turns could happen. In Outlaw Run there is a 153 degree outside-banked turn. I dont know if they could, but maybe we could see some of these moments on the Voyage. The only thing I could see keeping it from happening is the speed and the PTC trains.

I highly, highly doubt that. Holiday world management has heard how bad Hades 360 is, and doesn't want to make any more stress on Voyages trains. Or make the coaster any worse, or rougher. It's a no from me.

I highly, highly doubt that. Holiday world management has heard how bad Hades 360 is, and doesn't want to make any more stress on Voyages trains. Or make the coaster any worse, or rougher. It's a no from me.

I'm happy with how the Voyage is. I love it. I've yet to get to ride Hades 360 but ive heard horror stories about it, but i thought it was rough even before the 360 was added in. I do feel Voyage is rough, but no where near as rough as The Legend. It probably would be way too much stress on the trains.

I don't think the Voyage really needs any inversions to make it a better coaster. Hades 360 showed that even with brand new trains and a revised section of track that it doesn't necessarily promise a better ride experience (although I've heard the new section on it is actually bearable).

^^ PTC's can't do inversions, so there is no stress on the trains to worry about. They would need new trains if they were to do the things you've suggested. Anyways, this is a expansion project, not a remodel. I think it it safe to assume that this is a brand new ride being built.

^ Not saying you're wrong, but I thought they said they did the calculations back in 90's where they could have done a corkscrew, but the PTC's couldn't articulate fast enough to go through one. They said they had to wait until they had the technology available to them to design the Timberliners to make it happen. I believe they said that was the only thing holding them back this whole time.

^Not that it would happen, but Gravity Group did calculations and confirmed the PTC trains *could* do a corkscrew

"Could" is one thing; "should" is another.

I was at the park today and got a nice long look at the current construction area while waiting at the top of Hyena Falls. There are quite a few footers with rebar in place and a couple of them are huge. The current clearing/trenching area is a bit narrow and there are tall dirt "cones" in the middle of the "road" with survey marker sticks poking out of the top. Of course, that really means nothing as it could simply be a walkway. I noticed a clearing that went right back directly beside The Voyage with a pile of rebar to the side. No real giveaways today, but something is telling me this could be a massive water ride/waterpark expansion instead of the groundbreaking steel coaster we are all hoping for.

No matter what, there is pretty much unlimited room back there for whatever they are up to.

..there are tall dirt "cones" in the middle of the "road" with survey marker sticks poking out of the top.

How tall were these "cones"? Typically survey markers would be set up like that for one of two reasons: to bring the stationing point up higher so that it can been seen from another survey station or to mark a final grade elevation. If they were final grade markers it'd be interesting to see how high that grade is and where they are located.

^ I'd ballpark them at 3-6 feet tall. They weren't all the same height. There were 4 of them down the middle of the road. They were definitely there for a reason as you could tell from the tracks in the dirt that care was being taken not to disturb them.

^ I'd ballpark them at 3-6 feet tall. They weren't all the same height. There were 4 of them down the middle of the road. They were definitely there for a reason as you could tell from the tracks in the dirt that care was being taken not to disturb them.

I'd say that they are most likely "top-of-foundation" markers (i.e. footings) or final grade markers

I'm pretty sure they called us children in today's entry. So if they are refering to us as the children it may give a new perspective of the previous entries.

That's been the running theory in this thread since literally the very first entry.