TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Holiday World (HW) Discussion Thread

^So happy to see that "clearing" is still loaded with trees!

My guess is coaster construction works just like any other Design-Build construction job. You have the owner (holiday world) hiring a design-build general contractor (B&M) who then hires subcontractors (steel fabricators, launch systems, concrete work, ground work, etc etc). B&M is solely responsible for designing and overseeing the construction of the coaster. The subcontractors are doing their tasks exactly to the specifications of B&M, and when they are hired, they are "absorbed", so to speak, into B&M for the duration of the project. They essentially become B&M. They will have oversight inspectors at the fabrication plants (whether it be steel or the launch system) and on-site acting a representatives of the company and ensuring the project is being carried out exactly to B&M's specifications. In the end, I don't think one should fret about the launch system being produced by a subcontractor. B&M specified and designed how they wanted to work, and they just hired a "laborer" to produce it.

This is exactly right. As I said earlier, B&M is working with Intrasys the same way they work with Clermont Steel. B&M is a design firm, essentially, and has the say in what they put their name on and therefore what components are implemented in their designs. Another example of this than the perfect analogy kyleparks77 gave is the GoPro camera. GoPro designs and has the final say as to what the end product will be but GoPro also uses Sony components inside of their cameras. Doesn't make it a Sony camera. Doesn't make it a Sony/GoPro partnership, either. This happens a lot. It saves the primary company (in this case B&M) massive amounts of money in R&D as well as in fabrication. This, in turn, saves the customer money which saves the guests money on tickets.

I thought RMC's electrical was done by Vekoma? Could be wrong, though.

That's just for Wildfire because RMC signed a deal with Vekokma to use their assistance for rides outside the US

Thanks for the clarification! Guess I got my facts mixed up.

^ I know RMC does everything in-house as well.

Well, they out source all their ride dynamics to Ride Centerline, so not quite.

Essentially Alan Schilke and Ride Centerline are part or the RMC team. They played a major role in designing the track technology that RMC uses. Yes they're independent, but RMC has always been listed as the builder/designer.

KK's faces last night at the annoucement:

@ The fact that it's a launched B&M coaster

@ the fact that it's a wing coaster

@ the fact that HW finally has a Large Steel Coaster

@ the fact that it has 4 inversions

@ the fact that HW dropped $22 Mil on a single ride!

Can't let this gem get buried just yet...so QFT!

^I remember Will saying that years ago. Geez, I miss him being at the park, especially during HWN. His spirit is still alive and well, that's for sure. I was looking at the Google satellite map of the park, trying to figure out what will go where. Ahhh... dreaming is free. One can only imagine what they have in store for us down the years.

^ I think it is only fitting that post # 7000 on this thread had Will Koch mentioned in it. As I said the day of the announcement, Thunderbird cannot have been Will's only dream. I'm sure there were many more. I'm looking forward to the park making those dreams a reality. I'm sure they will be just as incredible as the ones that have already come to fruition.

Edited by ZeroGravity55

I was looking at the Google satellite map of the park, trying to figure out what will go where. Ahhh... dreaming is free. One can only imagine what they have in store for us down the years.

Agreed!

10 years ago, Thanksgiving (along with The Voyage) and a good deal of the current Splashin' Safari were too good to be true fantasies that nobody thought HW would ever consider adding...let alone cough up the big $$$ to pay for. And look at the place now.

Now try to imagine what they might have in store for us in the next 10 years! So glad this is my home park. I've been visiting multiple times every year since it was called Santa Claus Land and being witness to and a part of the transformation has been amazing. Dare I say it's been the most dramatic in the history of the industry. I am curious to see what they add in the next few years. I would anticipate them to be lean as the park recovers from the $22M splurge, but if history has shown us anything, it's that you can't rule anything out when it comes to HW expansion.

Hmmm, not sure all your facts are right about the coasters. Think you may have gotten Raven and Legend mixed up in your description. Regardless, nice trip report. Sound like you had a good time and got a lot of rides in.

The Voyage is 6,442 feet long with a ride time of about 2:45 with 154 foot drop

The Legend is 4,042 feet long with a ride time of about 2:00 with 113 foot drop (I wouldn't call this really really short)

The raven is 2,800 feet long with a ride time of about 1:30 with 85 foot drop (I wouldn't call this really long)

Those were some sweet photos of Liberty Launch. In my opinion, S&S Drop Towers are a lot more fun to look at than the intamins, cause they show some much more detail and stuff on the outside. Plus its fun watching the people shoot up!

It's not a fight..

I love Liberty launch and it would have been nice to know it was open. The front sign lied to me!

I know lol. Just poking fun of the debate.

^Only S&S tower I like as much as Intamin drop towers is Superman: Tower of Power. Love the combo program.