TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kingda Ka Coaster Question

Hi,

I might be visiting Six Flags Great Adventure again, for the 3rd time this season in 2010. I have ridden every coaster in Six Flags Great Adventure except the Great American Scream Machine, Kingda Ka, and that piece of crap blue mump of crap in Wiggles World Six Flags calls a roller coaster. I have not ridden the Great American Scream Machine yet because I havn't heard of too many great things about it, the blue garbage coaster in Wiggles World because it is not even a coaster, and Kingda Ka because I am scared ********less.

I have always wanted to conquer Kingda Ka, but half of me says to do it and the other half of me always stops me and I chicken out. This may sound weird, and opposite of why most people would probably be scared of Kingda Ka, but the 456ft tall tower would not bother me so much, it gives me the willies a bit, but the thing that scares me the most is the acceleration.

Can you all give me some advice about the launch and even the drop. The fastest launch coaster I have ever ridden was Storm Runner at Hershey Park and I loved it. Storm Runner at Hershey Park is awesome. That goes 0 - 72 mph in 2 seconds. Kingda Ka goes from 0 - 128 mph in 3.5 seconds. I have never experienced an acceleration like that in my entire life. Even in an airplane, an airplane takes like 20 seconds to hit 100 mph or so, but 128 mph in 3.5 seconds, can someone please tell me what the launch on Kingda Ka feels like? When I rode Storm Runner, the launch pushed me back into my seat and I was glued there, and it literally took my breath away, it was so freakin fast, very fast, BUT I LOVED IT!!!! If I rode Storm Runner, can I ride Kingda Ka.

Storm Runner was as smooth as silk, is Kingda Ka smooth as silk because I heard that it is shaky. Top Thrill Dragster I hear is much smoother then Kingda Ka. I heard that Top Thrill Dragster is smooth and Kingda Ka is a bit shaky. Does it hurt? Does it throw you're head around a lot.

Please give me some advice about the entire ride? I really want to ride it, but I keep on getting too scared and too chickened out too ride it, but I have to stop being too scared.

Please give me advice

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just do it and don't think about it. It's only, what like 19 seconds long (give or take a couple seconds)? The launch is a huge rush and a very enjoyable experience. Kingda Ka wasn't rough at all when I rode it, very smooth, adrenalin-filled ride. You're up and down so fast by the time you realize how high you are and how fast you are going, the ride is over. You'll love it!

It doesn't feel much more intense than Storm Runner. Ride in the front half of the train, the last few roughs are more rough. It's not that bad, I was nervous about trying it but decided after Storm Runner I could handle it. It was a very empty day at the park so there was no wait which gave me no time to hesitate.

As for Scream Machine, it is running much better this year, like Kingda Ka, if you sit towards the front it is a fun ride. If you get the front seat of either the first or 2nd car since the front rows of the cars have more leg room it isn't really rough at all.

I don't remember noticing much roughness when I rode Kingda Ka. However, I rode it in the front, so that might have something to do with it. As for your fear, I'd just get in line and stay there. I was the same way with Mr. Freeze and Kingda Ka. I had ridden V2 before, but I was still scared when I got in line for Mr. Freeze in 2006(It was closed when I went in 05). Luckily or unfortunately, for me, Mr. Freeze broke down so I didn't have to face my fears. I finally did ride Mr. Freeze in 2007, but by that time, I had ridden Kingda Ka. I was scared of Kingda Ka, but I decided to get in line and stay there. So just do the same and make the commitment to get in line and stay there. The ride is not as bad as it looks.

The launch is great. The only other sit-down launched coasters I've ridden are Mr. Freeze and Greezed Lightning, and while Kingda Ka has by far the strongest launch, it isn't anything to be scared of. Since you've ridden Storm runner, you know what the launch is like. It has a strong initial launch, and the launch just continues to gain speed until you reach the top hat. It is a lot of fun, and it is nothing to be scared about.

I can't tell you anything about the top hat though since I rode at night. If you are scared of heights, I'd recommend riding at night too so you don't get scared. The drop is great though, and the whole ride is just a lot of fun. I didn't find the ride too intense, and the ride is just one that is fun to ride. Getting off, I was wondering why I was so scared of it, since the actual ride is no where near as bad as it looks.

If you have gone on Storm Runner, Kingda Ka should be fine. The launch on KK is probably the best part, but for a 15 second ride it's not saying too much. The whole ride is over as soon as it begins, if you don't like it, it's over in a snap. I recommend getting the front seat or the first row on any car for the smoothest ride. My advice for you is to just go along with the ride and enjoy it!

But truthfully if you want my opinion, Great American Scream Machine is better than Kingda Ka. Be sure to ride it too.

I personally think that the launch on Storm Runner is more forceful than on Kingda Ka. KK is more drawn out while Storm Runner's is a quick punch but very forceful.

I say do it... just sit in one of the first 4 rows...

If you rode Storm Runner, Kingda Ka you will have NO trouble with.

I find the acceleration on Kingda Ka to feel slower then that of Storm Runner. It is not worse by any means. It almost feels like the ride is 'switching gears' like a car, gradually increasing in power. Dragster on the other hand, is much more intense and consistent throughout the acceleration.

But yeah, the launch is no different... The duration is just longer.

As far as heights, honestly, you are up there for such a short amount of time you are already down before you think about it. I have ridden Dragster endless times by now and very rarely ever notice the height. Kingda Ka felt less tall actually, due to the lack of scenery compared to Dragster. Looking down at Millennium Force, other rides and lake is much more impressive than a parking lot and forest.

It really is not bad... GO for it. You will wonder why you ever even thought about being scared afterward. Looks much worse than it is.

How someone has the opportunity to be able to ride THIS BEAST and passes it up is beyond my understanding....

Just ride the darn thing. You're lucky to be living so class to such an amazing park. Many roller coaster enthusiasts would kill to have the luxury to go to this park often.

Personally I've never ridden this monster, but you might take some comfort in the fact that it has pretty much the same acceleration as Storm Runner, it just goes much faster!!!!

(72/2=36 --> 128/3.5=36.5714....)

OK, it accelerates a little faster.

I rode KK for the 1st time last Tuesday and it was a walk-on so there was no time to be frightened. While it does have some rattle to it, I was not thrown into the restraints or anything. Even though I prefer Dragster, I would still consider this a must ride while at the park. My Dad timed it from start to finish - 24 seconds. You'll be fine...

We were kind of disappointed in Scream Machine though...we rode in the front seat and were the only one's on the coaster. My ears got boxed twice...once in the pretzel element and once through the corkscrew. We decided one and done on this ride even though we could have marathoned it if we wanted too.

After riding Stormrunner you should have no problem riding Kingda Ka. My eye sockets feel the air rushing by but I've built up a tolerance for the ride. Stormrunner should have did all that for you. The view at the top is majestic and just for a few seconds so enjoy the twist down.

I agree with Yoshi that the Great American Scream Machine is giving good rides this season. I had no issue with restraining myself. I did not receive a beating.

Just do it and don't think about it. It's only, what like 19 seconds long (give or take a couple seconds)? The launch is a huge rush and a very enjoyable experience. Kingda Ka wasn't rough at all when I rode it, very smooth, adrenalin-filled ride. You're up and down so fast by the time you realize how high you are and how fast you are going, the ride is over. You'll love it!

Is it a lot of fun????????????????

Is it more intense then Batman The Ride????????????????

It doesn't feel much more intense than Storm Runner. Ride in the front half of the train, the last few roughs are more rough. It's not that bad, I was nervous about trying it but decided after Storm Runner I could handle it. It was a very empty day at the park so there was no wait which gave me no time to hesitate.

As for Scream Machine, it is running much better this year, like Kingda Ka, if you sit towards the front it is a fun ride. If you get the front seat of either the first or 2nd car since the front rows of the cars have more leg room it isn't really rough at all.

Is it a lot of fun???????????????

Is it more intense then Batman The Ride????????????????

Myself not having been on either GASM, or KK... I would go on KK first. I just have not as of yet b/c when I decided to go on it, it was down. First reason for not going on GASM, is that my brother has told me that GASM will knock me around, so if I plan on runining my day, don't bother. Ride Nitro or El Toro instead. lol. For KK, I have this fear of heights. Well, not so much heights, but to explain it quickly, it took me about two years to get used to Nitro's drop. Now...Nitro is my fave ride. In terms of height for KK, it is just double the height of Nitro, pretty much. Two seconds longer. The launch will be nothing. Ever do a launch? It is not like Hulk's launch, but more like RnR's... just faster. IMHO, just do it. I will in the end ride KK before GASM. Everyone comes off the ride loving it! I am sure I will eventually get on GASM too... when I am bored enough. lol.

Have fun, and give a report when you finally ride!

Having ridden many of the hydraulic intamins, I found Ka to be much less intense than Top Thrill or Storm Runner. As others have said, sitting towards the front you don't feel it as much as sitting in the rear. Just remember, with those crazy over the shoulder restraints, you are not going to fall out. If you are worried about anything breaking or falling out, put it in a locker for a buck and then loop the key around your belt loop, you'll be just fine. Heck, I was stuck at the top of drop tower at KD for twenty minutes and I'm still here.