TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great Adventure (SFGAdv) Discussion Thread

If you want to experience all the rollercoasters multiple times flash pass is a good choice. If you are going during the week (Monday through Thursday) you might be able to get away without buying it.

The systems works by renting a device that looks like a alphanumeric pager. You walk up to the sign next to the rollercoaster and wave the beeper in front of it. The beeper than goes off when it is your time to ride and you skip the regular ride. If this is going to be on your one and only chance to visit great adventure then I would purchase the GOLD flash pass. This will cut your wait times down by 75 percent.

It is definitely possible to ride all the major rollercoasters in one day without flash pass but if you go on a busy day than expect 1-2 hour waits for the most popular rides.

Most of the Six Flags parks, and definitely Great Adventure have a newer style Flashpass now, actually, where you just need to select whatever you want to ride from a list on the beeper like device. The beeper tells you what time the ride will be available, and you are free to go right up to the station for a minimal wait time once that time comes. This can be very useful in such a big park, since you can reserve a time on one end of the park and once you've walked to the ride it could already be time to go on. Also, you can reserve a ride and then go to a different nearby rideand wait in the normal line, and then immediately go to the reserved ride afterwards.

If you are going in May on a weekday you may not need one at all, but a Flashpass would guarantee doing everything. A regular one should do fine if you don't mind having some waits. If you don't want to wait for anything, get the gold. As a local, I only get them when I have friends come for one day only, but I have loved having it every time I got it. With a flashpass it is fairly easy to do all the roller coasters in one day, as long as Kingda Ka doesn't keep breaking down.

Thank you very much for your answer.

I go in that park at 2may (sunday) and I think that the flashpass is advisable.

Why you deliver to me the gold flashpass and not the platinum? The price difference is minimum.....

I read that there is a closed number of flashpass, I must reserve that somne day's before trough internet?

Thanks a lot again

The platinum is new this year, so I've never actually seen it in action or know exactly how it works with the ride twice option. It sounds good, and you are right that once you're paying that much for gold, the jump isn't much higher to platinum, but I don't actually know the pricing so I can't say for certain (If it's too much it might make the VIP tours a better deal than the flash pass). However, I'm not sure how much better the platinum will be than gold if the park isn't crowded, but I'd need to wait for the park to open (and someone to buy one) for me to know exactly how platinum works and be able to recommend for or against it.

While they say quantities are limited, they should not run out during the May offseason. The only real times you need to worry are late August and Frightfest in October. If you are definitely getting one though, I would go get it first thing in the morning to make sure there's no line to get the flash pass, and you can immediately reserve something (I say Kingda Ka).

I'd figure on 20 - 40 minute waits for coasters like Nitro, Batman, Bizarro, 5 - 15 minute waits for rides like Scream Machine, Runaway Mine Train, Skull Mountain etc. and 45+ minute waits for El Toro, Kingda Ka and Superman. That's about what the waits were like for me in July on a weekday last year and on 2 weekdays in July in 2008.

Not sure if anybody would know, but is Kingda Ka ready to open with the park this weekend/next week? I almost want to assume not, as I'm headed up there and don't want to get my hopes up. I won't be crushed if it's not, since I've ridden a few times already, but it'd be nice if the "456-foot coaster!" bargaining chip to get my friends to make the 3-hour trip with me held up.

Does anyone know if Houdini is going to be open in 2010 because of it's popularity during Fright Fest last year? It most likely won't, considering the other rides that will be SBNO in 2010 so far, but I just want to make sure.

Based on the recent Fan Call with Mark Shapiro, Houndini's Great Espace is expected to be open from Memorial Day to Labor Day.

Edited by larrygator

Anyone going opening day ? We are heading out for a little . I would spend the whole day but it is going to be Really COLD . I wonder how the coasters are going to do in this weather ? Last year on opening day it was cold and windy Not a good coaster day at all . If I get on a few rides and get my passes done it is a productive day !! Just glad the season has arrived I thought the day would NEVER COME !!!

I'm going Sunday, I have to work most of tomorrow and it will be too cold to take a chance of rides being closed for me. I just hope Nitro doesn't valley again

Flats for Gadv will make us one of the best parks ever....I mean ever!

Until SFGAdv gets serious about line cutters, it will never be one of the best parks ever.

It can really be a problem, last year In line for Superman they were opening up more switchbacks and when 2 guards in line were talking a group used the chance to cut, they were called out to the guards and the guards didn't throw them out of line or the park. In 2008 I saw the same thing, people cut the line the guards were told and nothing happened. Even worse I saw a guy standing in line for nitro smoking and a guard walked right by him and didn't say a word. I didn't report any of it because I normally go to the park alone and don't need a large group getting angry at me especially after seing that people don't get in trouble. The guest code of conduct is a good policy, if they would implement it

Heres a couple quick notes from Sunday.

Lines were incredibly light all day and it was much warmer than Saturday.The light rain for an hour midday really thinned out the park. We were able to marathon on El Toro at least 10 rides in the afternoon. Thats not something you hear about often.

I met Larrygator, who is really nice guy and I hope I didn't scare by yelling his name as he walked by. It was good to meet you Larry and I pmed you the photos we talked about.

Also met Mark Kane (president of Great Adventure) who was just hanging out by the fountain and observing the park. The operators I spoke with commented that Mr. Kane is out and about in the park everyday. Thats great to see a president being proactive and not just sitting behind a desk. He is doing an excellent job with the park. He was very cordial and seemed enthusiastic about the season and ended our conversation with, "Just wait to see what we have in store for the Fiftieth Anniversary".

The Nitro Team, yesterday was the best I've ever seen at any park. They were moving trains incredibly quickly and engaging the crowd. Lots of jokes, fun, and efficient operations. Respect and Thanks to that team.

The El Toro team was also moving trains very quickly and I spoke with some nice ride ops there that allowed us to change seats to keep riding the marathon.

The park looked great, was incredibly clean, and security was everywhere. I didn't see any sketchy stuff that some people have written about..

Much respect to the entire team there. I had a great day and look forward to many more in 2010. In my opinion the park and staff has never been better.

The El Toro team was also moving trains very quickly and I spoke with some nice ride ops there that allowed us to change seats to keep riding the marathon.

The park does show a little inconsistency in this regard. The first 20 minutes of the day they were allowing this in order to keep trains full. (There were not many people in the park at opening). Then they took and second train off, which was understandably with the light crowds.

Some of the rows in the middle of the train still had no one waiting due the the small crowds between 10:45 - 11:15. i expect the ride ops to at least let those already in a seat wit no one waiting to stay in the train, but they made us exit the station.

I can understand why they don't want people switching rows, since the Exit platfrom is narrow. But if they made an announcement that they need full trains because of the weather they should have allowed rerides in the same seat.

Nice to meet you and I got the photos. I saw a couple of other TPR members that I never got a chance to talk to. Sue and her husband (I was going to talk to them after my second ride on El Toro but they had moved elsewhwere in the park and never saw them again), Nitrofan17? (who was working El Toro) and some guy wearing a CLUB TPR shirt. I wore my TPR hoodie for the first time and quite a few people commented on it, unlike my time at Seaside Heights READ MY JERSEY SHORE PTR on Saturday when people said, "Theme Park Review, what's that?"

I have never seen the park this empty in such nice weather. 12 rides on El Toro in one hour, many being re-rides. Just like last Sunday the park opened with two trains on El Toro but pulled one off after a couple of cycles due to extremely light crowds. Then I walked over and got 5 in a row on Nitro in the back row without leaving the row. Nitro was running 3 trains and two of the three had people only in the front and back row.

Batman The Ride - walk-on with re-rides allowed (Edited as re-rides were allowed)

Bizarro - walk-on with re-rides allowed

Skull Mountain - walk-on with re-rides allowed

Edited by larrygator

I have never seen the park this empty in such nice weather. 12 rides on El Toro in one hour, many being re-rides. Just like last Sunday the park opened with two trains on El Toro but pulled one off after a couple of cycles due to extremely light crowds. Then I walked over and got 5 in a row on Nitro in the back row without leaving the row. Nitro was running 3 trains and two of the three had people only in the front and back row.

Batman The Ride - walk-on without re-rides allowed

Bizarro - walk-on with re-rides allowed

Skull Mountain - walk-on with re-rides allowed

Interesting...I rode Batman 5X in a row in the last row without getting up. They allowed me to reride. I was there about 2pm.