TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Kings Dominion (KD) Discussion Thread

Just got back from the park like 5 minutes ago. Intimidator was AWESOME! I got 2 rides in the front seat and there was barely a wait and when there was it took at the most of 15 minutes. I finally got to go on the Boo Blasters on Boo Hill and even though i love scooby doo, i have to say that it is WAY better now. Its so cool because it has a bunch of new effects that the old one never had like a projector that projected on to a sheet of fog and yea i just though it was awesome!

^ Millennium Force isn't going all that fast at the end. When it's cold out, the train travels very slowly through the last overbanked turn. With I305 it is most likely due to money.

Yeah, but when it's warm out (which it is for 90% of the season), it's hauling Buddha-sized ass when it hits the brakes. No real point in using an example of when it's cold, because literally every coaster runs slow in the cold, not just MF.

Just some total random thought that popped into my head.......building this beside Anaconda is like parking your Hummer next to a Chevette at Wal Mart LMAO!!!!! It totally dwarfs it! Also, the second hill size in comparison to Rebel Yell's turnaround!!

33a.jpg.0c06e3a94e62e710c92b1467682263f8.jpg

Thank cfc for the image

Edited by eddie200330

Why are the operations at all the other rides so bad?

Everyone is talking about Volcano only running one train, Dominator just two etc. while the waits are an hour long or more?

Are they now trying to save some money here and piss people off? Because really, that would suck!

It was a rough winter here, and operations were dramatically improved by sunday, when I went. I never, never waited in line and got on a bunch of rides, and the employees were friendly. Just give it a little time.

The oh so Elusive KDcoasterMAN, bringing to you his ride review of INTIMIDATOR 305!

I began my day with a long drive from the mountains of Appalachia to come to one place I wanted to be, Kings Dominion. Of course, like every time your in a rush, traffic intercedes. Delayed by over an hour by many places of Stop-N-Go traffic I finally found myself cresting the hill above The Meadows Park and viewing the beautiful Kings Dominion skyline.

The familiar sights of Eiffel Tower, Dominator, Drop Tower and the New Intimidator 305 greeted me. At this point, I had not seen I305 make its run around the track in person and couldn't take my eyes off of the Goliath in the sky. I drove until the trees blocked my view, crossed the tracks and took in the sight of the park from the front. I entered the park and got a parking spot as close as I could. I then proceed to purchase my pass and entered through the front entrance. The first sight that I beheld was Dominator stuck midway up the lift hill. Disappointing.

I began to "Speed-walk" my way over to my reason to visiting, I didn't want security on my tail for sprinting in glee. I passed under the Congo sign and sought with my eyes my the train cresting the lift-hill. I watched it slowly accelerate then disappear below the tree line. I'll admit it, my mouth fell open. It was unbelievable.

I quickly made the last few hundred yards to the entrance in less than a minute and about half-sprinted into the partially full queue. I never looked at the Dale Earnhardt replica 1998 Monte Carlo or the "Photo Finish" gift shop. I had only one focus.

I had a quick wait of 40 minutes then found that I would be "assigned" a row. I was like 'ghetto!' Just Kidding. Oh Well. I complied to my row 15 (last car) which did excite me about a very forceful ride! I was paired with a single rider named 'Jeff.' As we waited I asked him if he ridden today. He suddenly got all giddy and simply stated, "It's.. good, really good!" His smile explained that his emotion was wordless. I barely could keep my placid exterior together.

Then, it was our turn! I had been waiting for this moment for months, many months! I took the right side of the train which Jeff said was 'more intense.' I sat down and pull the "highly controversial" restraint down and found it one of th most comfortable restraints I had ever used. The shoulder harnesses were soft like of those used on a B&M Looper. It had the one seat belt in the front which I buckled. First Ride, here I come!

The ride operator flew through the check and did it perfectly, 'check,' tug, and pull! We were set to go. I heard the round of "Clear" and here the Booth operator's "All Clear" I readjusted myself out of nervousness and took a deep breath. "Gentlemen, Start Your Engines" rang across the station speakers... Here we go, my first 300-foot coaster!

A firm tug and we were on our way! The first thing through my mind was, 'I knew It was fast, but holy cow!' We flew (metaphorically) up the lift hill. I had no more time. Time to race. The coaster reached its pinnacle and began its steep decent. We weren't pulled over the top, we were thrown. Airtime rock me out of my seat into a drop of oblivion. I began screaming for my life! What felt like a few minutes ended with the first turn. We had ascended and descended in about 18 seconds...

The First turn is not describable nor comparable to any coaster on this planet. The best way I can put it is pulling out of a dive in a small aircraft. Your stomach is pulled to your feet and you start to get lightheaded. The turn continued for what seemed to be for a few second then we began to climb the second 150 foot tall Airtime monster! It brings you back to reality with the best sustained ejector air I have ever experienced. This is the first moment I really noticed the restraints impact they have on the ride. They held me in tight with no leeway. then we began to drop with more floater airtime like we had experienced on the first drop.

The G's put us back down in our seats as we reach the bottom but we don't remain there. Intamin built a fun little thing I like to call "The Airtime Hump." This thing give a great lift of ejector airtime before throwing the riders into another g-ruled turn. This turn, though not comparable to the first turn, on its own could be a valuable asset to any ride. Through this turn is the rides first "Head chopper" which happens to be quite incredible. It made me put my hands down for a moment.

Now for the most "disliked' part part of the ride. The first of the three S-Transitional Curves is easily one of the best parts of this ride. The Shoulder restraints first come into use in this element. For those who have not ridden, this S-Curves are similar to those used on Maverick @ Cedar Point. There is a difference though. These have a design advantage by giving the riders a split second of airtime while transitioning. This reduces the impact against the Over The Shoulder Restraints (OTSR) by dulling th G forces involved. This is where the ever famous word "Twisty" was coined by the famous Robb Alvey. He was right.

The "Twistiness" is another great attribute of this ride. After the First S-Curves there is a sweep to the right then to the left, while going through another "head-chopper," then the rides second, least forceful S-Curve. After this S-Curves is the Third intense 180 degree turn. Its especially tight and gives off some great g's.

The Ride then heads up the trimmed Third Hill. The trims though significantly slowing the ride, provides some especially great floater airtime. The coaster goes down a valley into another hill, which happens to turn to the right after the crest. The coaster leads itself into the third, final and most intense S-Curve. It needed the trim brake.

The final act of this ride is a dive under the "air hump" then ascending, while twisting on to the steepest break run I have ever seen. We slowed to a slow crawl. I sat in my seat stunned.

Intimidator is my new number one. I have been to Kings Dominion, Busch Gardens Williamsburg, Seaworld Orlando (pre-Manta), All WDW Parks, Hershey Park, Six Flags America, Dollywood, Kings Island (pre-Diamondback), Carowinds, and Six Flags Over Georgia. I have gotten 77 coaster credits in the past 5 years. I hope to pick up all 17 at CP soon and the other Intimidator which has sadly lost its spotlight. Though I have not been to Cedar Point nor ridden Bizarro at SFNE, I think I have 'enough' credentials to say that Intimidator is one of the best in America.

I can give a promise while riding this beast. It will be one of the most intense rides of your life.

This ends KDCM's excessively long review. I hope you enjoyed!

Edited by KDcoasterMAN

I had a quick wait of 40 minutes then found that I would be "assigned" a row. I was like 'ghetto!'

"Ghetto" like Disney and Universal? They've been assigning seats for years. This doesn't bother me as long as it speeds up the line, which it apparently does.

But that's a minor quibble. I think the rest of your review is on the money.

^I've had pretty good luck getting Disney ride ops to honor polite seat requests even when they're doing assigned seating. Diamondback, not so much. I imagine the same mentality runs though the ops at KD, but I hope I'm wrong on that.

Actually, I don't really care because I'll just wait to visit KD until TPR does their event there. ERT > waiting an hour for a "special" seat.

I had a quick wait of 40 minutes then found that I would be "assigned" a row. I was like 'ghetto!'

"Ghetto" like Disney and Universal? They've been assigning seats for years. This doesn't bother me as long as it speeds up the line, which it apparently does.

But that's a minor quibble. I think the rest of your review is on the money.

'Ghetto' as I meant it as a joke. I added a 'Just Kidding' In there for safe measure. But no, that assigned seating is the reason why the line was so quick.

I must say that I totally agree with most of this review. I was able to ride on Monday, April 5, with very little wait. I happen to love Intamin coasters the best, and El Toro, Maverick, and I305-all branded under IntaRide LLC-have delivered something that the other Intamins haven't...extreme lateral Gs and all-out forcefullness. I'm having a hard time deciding whether this is my new #1 or if Maverick stays the course. I305 is sick, fantastic, as aggressive as it gets through a sustained period of time. TTD and KK may be forceful upfront, but there is a moment to breathe. This coaster hasn't any. This drop is better than MF and the series of s-curves before the trimmed hill are waaaay more forecful than Maverick. I was pleasantly suprised and recommend most to try I305. If Bizarro wins this year, I'll be sick...it doesn't even hold a candle to this ride. I wish the last set of airtime twists were laid out differently. I feel it seemed too similar to the first half. Other than that, this ride is it folks. Mav and Toro(my 1 and 2...before this madness) have two seperate halves. But as for the rest of the pacing...this ride is phenomenal...ride the front....right side is best!

Went back to the park this afternoon... happy to report that there was no seat assignments on I305; not even a person at the station entrance. Also noticed that more rides had two trains running including Grizzly which surprised me a for a weekday in April. It was the largest crowd I've seen at KD for spring break week, so I'm happy that the park is getting good attendance because of the new ride, and the operations were all pretty good from what I encountered.

Just got home from 3 days at KD (celebrating my son's 16th birthday!)- Intimidator was awesome! Agree with most everyone's comments. Front seat definitely the best. Ride ops were engaging, entertaining and efficient. Bizarro (SF NE) was my number one before I305 but this easily blows the competition away.

I think its best summed up by a comment from a fellow rider in line - I305 is a rider's ride.

KD is one of my favorite parks. The past 3 days were not up to par however. While I305 was putting the riders through quickly and efficiently, most of the other rides left a lot to be desired. Most were running one train only and even though lines were short, the wait times were almost unbearably long. I keep a good thought about KD though. I think that staffing was down due to being early in the season and they may have been surprised by the crowds. The weather was summer-like already. I've been to openings later in April where we're wearing jackets. This week we roasted in shorts!

I can't wait to get back for some Intimidator night-time rides!

Why is the park closed June 1-4??? The weather should be great! Kings Island is scheduled to be open AND Busch! Hell, all Cedar Fair Parks will be. What gives? Are they on a budget or short staffed? I was planning to go those days.

I am guessing the reason it changed is because of all the snow we had here. I know my school had two weeks off (with half a Thursday thrown in). I assume most schools are getting out later this year because of make up days, and like Homeboy23 said they won't have their employees

Holy Crap! Apparently TPR"s Intimidator 305 Video on YouTube has been doing quite well! Check out these stats...

#13 - Most Discussed (This Week)) - Travel & Events

#47 - Most Discussed (This Month)) - Travel & Events

#19 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events - Germany

#20 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events - Australia

#24 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events - Canada

#15 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events - United Kingdom

#63 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events - Ireland

#52 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events - New Zealand

#82 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events - Israel

#9 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events

#18 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events - Spain

#25 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events - Mexico

#7 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events - France

#4 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events - Italy

#13 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events - Netherlands

#45 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events - Brazil

#64 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events - Czech Republic

#91 - Most Viewed (This Week)) - Travel & Events - Sweden

#55 - Most Viewed (This Month)) - Travel & Events

#7 - Top Favorited (This Week)) - Travel & Events

#42 - Top Favorited (This Month)) - Travel & Events

#25 - Top Rated (This Week)) - Travel & Events

Thank you to everyone who watched and favorited the video!