TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

An Odd Noise on Medusa

Since were already talking about B&M's and weird sounds.... does anyone know the reason behind the banging noise on Superman la Attracion de Acero? It can be heard in every single onride video I have seen of the ride.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The sound on Medusa is definitely the anti rollbacks. As for the sound on Superman, that sounds a lot like the wheels running over the welds in the track. That's why it gets louder the faster the train is moving. If it's not the welds, then maybe one or more of the wheels are damaged and needs to be replaced, but I highly doubt that is the case.

^ If it were the track section joints, then shouldn't every wheel that passes over them make a sound, and not just once/section?

As for the Medusa one then it's definitely the anti-roll back. Seems like the train is a bit slower than the correct speed to attain 0 g over the Zero-G roll so it causes hang time, which makes the anti-roll back devices to fall and make the sound...

If that's the case, is the same sound herd on Hydras Jo-Jo roll?

^Well, we aren't hearing the entire train in the video. If it was a back seat pov and we were hearing the exact same sound, then it might very well could be something else. Seeing as this video was recorded from the front seat with the camera and the camera's mic pointed forward, most all of the sounds coming from behind the camera won't be picked up. If there is an offride video of the train going through the first drop with good audio, then maybe we could determine more from that, but as it stands, I am staying by my original thought.

It's for sure something the wheels are rolling over, you can actually count how many times it makes this noise (the same number of wheel sets) as they run over that spot. When you are on the ride you can feel the little bump going through the Zero G, for as long as it has been doing this, you would think they would do something about it.

I'm sure the coaster is still great but it has been around for about 10 years; so does anyone think it's aged well?

Yep. SFDK's my home park, and I've been riding Medusa for years and years. Still (as of this past NYE) smooth and nicely powerful, a testament to B&M goodness. But then, Roar's aged pretty well, too, so maybe the park just takes care of its coasters.

I have a feeling its exactly as was shown before in the diagram, but in reverse... the train slows down enough to have the rollbacks go from their "down" position, to them falling back towads the seats when the train inverts...

For example...

rollbackDiagram.jpg.c41f8e0102be9bf7e119ed3ceb3d07e7.jpg

Rollbacks fall back "up" when the train inverts.

But if the rollbacks are spring loaded, then there would have to be some forces acting on them to make them retract and in the Zero G that would mean a downward force as the train goes up. If that were the case, then why doesn't this happen during any of the other 6 inversions? And Scream basically has the same Zero G yet does not do this- why would that be? And when you ride it you CAN feel a bump when it goes over that spot- so it seems track related.

At 0:37 in this video you can hear them as well. I belive its just something that happens on the rides. A little anit-rollback clanking never hurt anyone!!

~Matthew

It is anti rollbacks because I know almost everything there is to know about Led Zepplin aka Time Machine and heard the same noise and asked. I was told it was anti rollbacks.

Diamondback made that noise almost all season. In July-August it got new wheels supposedly, and it had an extreme B&M Roar that could be heard from the parking lot. Than in September the roar just went away and went back to the normal clicking noise. I thought maybe it was either it's wheels or the track (once a train gos over it) is cracking against each other?