TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Facebook Etiquette Tips: Photos and Tagging

^ I think blocking the idiots that use stupid programs like "Friends Exposed" is a much better option.

I look at it as "natural selection." Do I really want to be friends with someone who uses such a pointless app? I don't think so.

--Robb

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ Well, based off how many people on FB use these annoying applications, I don't think it will be long till you have like two friends left.

Fine by me! I'd rather have two friends that don't annoy me than 1,000 friends who do.

I've just blocked two more people from my Facebook and sent them this note:

I have blocked you for using the "Top Secret" application. It's nothing personal, I just don't want the crap on my wall anymore and there is no way that I can find to block the appllication, so I have no other choice but to block the user.

--Robb

Hey Robb, are you wanting to see other peoples status updates only?

If so, just click more under the filters on the left side of the page and move status updates to the top of the list then click less. Now when you log on status updates are the only things that will show up. The only downside is that when people add pictures, videos or other things like that you'll need to click on that specific filter to look at what people have added recently. Hope that helps!

Hey Robb, are you wanting to see other peoples status updates only?

If so, just click more under the filters on the left side of the page and move status updates to the top of the list then click less. Now when you log on status updates are the only things that will show up. The only downside is that when people add pictures, videos or other things like that you'll need to click on that specific filter to look at what people have added recently. Hope that helps!

Ugh, no! This is on my WALL not my NEWS FEED!

READ THE THREAD!!!!

^ Oh, sorry, I guess I must not have been clear enough when I wrote...

This stupid crap appears on my wall *not* my news feed. I can click "remove" but that doesn't block it. And I get no option to "block application."

READ THE THREAD!!!!

[sarcasm] Theirs a thread? What thread? Where is the thread? Can someone point me to the thread? [/sarcasm]

These are good tips. A couple of my friends upload pictures and I really just want to look at them and say "do you honestly think after college any employer who looks at your Facebook will hire you?" At least make your profile picture a good one and keep the stupid stuff just in your albums! Don't let something dumb you do now ruin your career down the road!

When I'm doing a Facebook TPR update I kind of have a rule of thumb that says "Anyone not looking at the camrea doesn't get tagged."

I like that idea.

IF SOMEONE UN-TAGS THEMSELVES IN A PHOTO YOU HAVE TAGGED, DO NOT RE-TAG THAT PERSON AGAIN!

I'm pretty sure that once you have the tag removed, they can't re-tag you without just adding the photo. There really should be a setting allowing us to "screen" tagged photos but I couldn't find it. I actually have it set to where I don't allow anyone to see tagged photos of me, just cause I never know what Im going to get

It's good to know so many people feel this way. Generally I tag people in almost every picture because they can always untag themselves. I feel it's a courtesy to let them know the picture is online. I can see the point though and understand it could get annoying untagging yourself in tons of pictures.

It's good to know so many people feel this way. Generally I tag people in almost every picture because they can always untag themselves. I feel it's a courtesy to let them know the picture is online. I can see the point though and understand it could get annoying untagging yourself in tons of pictures.

Again, I think it's one thing if it's a GOOD picture of someone. But if you're tagging a bunch of people in the background of a photo and you do that a lot, it gets very annoying.

I just recently had to untag myself from about 500 photos on Facebook. That wasn't fun.

--Robb

Even though I haven't yet been on any TPR trips or other scandalous TPR photo opportunities, I SO appreciate this thread! Tagging people in the background, obviously unflattering photos, those stupid apps-- all of it really just makes me question why I continue to use Facebook. It's supposed to make life easier by staying in contact with people, not annoying like it's gotten.

Robb, you should consider composing a CoasterTube or YouTube video using "The Inconvenient Truth" method . Let's all work to make FB a better place, eh?

^ Just out of curiosity, why does being from California have to do with anything?

I second Robb's exasperation about the apps. I use twitter almost exclusively on a day to day basis because I hate all the facebook apps. My mother and older people in my family seem to be the worst. I've blocked farmville, mafia, top friends, but more keep coming!

-James Dillaman

• 2 weeks later...

So it seems like today's Facebook annoyance is tagging people in Christmas trees! I've had to remove about 6 of these already.

People are taking a picture of a Christmas tree and tagging their friends on the bulbs or other ornaments on the tree.

I appreciate the idea and it's nice that you thought about me, but please, if you want to just send an email saying "Merry Christmas" or something that's fine, but don't clutter up my wall with photo tags of pictures I'm not in and then I have to later remove.

ANNOYING!!!!

If I am tall, I do not need you to tag me as "the tall one" on your pointless collage...I'm already aware of this. Same goes for "the funny guy," "the chick magnet," "the jock," ect...

If anyone would like to tag me as "the chick magnet," I officially grant permission!

Jason "I bet most of this would make more sense to me if I was actually on Facebook" R.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a new FaceBook annoyance that I'm hoping someone can help me get rid of. For the last few weeks I wasn't getting any apps notifications on my wall because I now have most of them blocked by actually going to the app location and clicking "block this app."

But now, apps that I have blocked are starting to show up again. I have un-blocked, and re-blocked them, and that doesn't seem to work.

I don't want to "Block All Apps" from my wall because Facebook tells me that will also block photos & videos, which I do want! (provided I'm at least IN said photo or video being posted.)

Note that these notifications are showing up on my WALL and *not* my news feed.

Example.... here are three notifications that just came in today....

If I click on the "Gift Creator" link you can see that I've already blocked this application....

So why do these notifications still show up on my wall and how can I get rid of them?

I know I can just click "remove" from my wall, but when I'm getting three or four of these EVERY HOUR it gets VERY annoying!

Please help!!!

--Robb

^

Robb...

To answer your question, there are multiple gifting apps on Facebook and the only way to block them completely is to find each one and block it individually.

But in clicking the link it took him to the blocked one, which still spammed him.

Alright I just added the application to my profile and apparently Gift Creator is an application that allows users to create their own gifting application, therefore the gifts that Robb is receiving aren't coming from Gift Creator itself, but another gifting application that was created through Gift Creator.

I'm currently testing it out right now and I'll come back with an update.

I've felt a similar problem as Robb. My solution was to not be his friend anymore. Jeez, I would get way too many of those apps telling me that someone wrote on his wall or sent him some sort of electronic garbage.. I'm fine with the less is better strategy to facebook, since there aren't really over 100 people I can say I honestly care about when they aren't so happy. Fortunately my TPR friends on the Europe trip seem to be far more interesting with status updates on what they do.

Alright I've tested the app out...

There are plenty of gifting app creators and quiz app creators all over Facebook, therefore it's difficult to keep track of them and (if you're the person that hates these apps) block every single one.

Basically this post is to inform people about these gifting/quiz apps and how they work.

If you want to get rid of the applications, you can either remove all friends that send you the message, or if your close friends are sending you the gifts and you don't want to remove them from your list, tell them personally (Note - This mainly works if you don't have as many friends or if the person sends you app invites/gifts constantly)...

This goes to my next point.

Facebook Application Etiquette

As an avid Facebook app user, I hate getting wall spam and junk messages from apps, even from apps that I use like Farmville and Mafia Wars.

When should you post application messages on your wall?

- When multiple friends benefit from that message, for example, suppose a lonely cow wanders onto your farm in Farmville, then post the message only if you have a good amount of friends playing Farmville and would be interested in adopting the cow. If not, post every once in a while, but don't abuse it.

-EDIT - New Point - Sometimes apps like Happy Aquarium will allow you to display mundane messages that don't have any bonuses attached. DON"T POST THESE! It only adds clutter to the already cluttered Facebook wall. I personally hate it when people post these messages because it makes the wall look much messier.

- If the reward is small, post sparingly. Using Farmville as an example again, posting that you're thanking everyone for fertilizing their crops only yields 50 coins, therefore posting every single time somebody fertilizes your crops is annoying. Instead, post every once in a while.

- If you want to draw more friends into the game, post a message, but don't abuse it, especially if very few friends are playing it. Post one every once in a while to get some people interested, but again, DON'T ABUSE IT.

What about requests?

- You can also send out app requests, but don't send too many at a time and don't send them to people you know find the apps annoying.

- The same goes for sending gifts.

- Tagging was pretty much covered at the beginning of the thread.

Now back to the gifting app.... This is basically how it works.

SLIGHT EDIT: The pics may seem a bit large, but I tried resizing them the best I could while keeping everything legible (unless that's jot important).

1735574301_FacebookError.JPG.b93fb7c3eaf09533a0049d010c4ad3ce.JPG

Unfortunately I got this error when trying to confirm the application.

PS: I have my Facebook set to English(Pirate), which explains the pirate language.

513069263_DevPage.JPG.948e825b20e1c39638fa99e3b20bf805.JPG

Once you fill in all the good stuff, you hit the submit button and it'll take you to the Application Developer Page.

849958296_GiftCreator.JPG.9ef8ca62971d913f9213a1905215e204.JPG

This is the application's main page. Put in all the information and hit submit.