TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Thorpe Park Discussion Thread

Really enjoyed our trip to Thorpe this year, and have been thinking about the size of where the plans for the new attraction will go, - I think it's a decent enough space to build something really exciting! That area of the park could do with something new, and the carousel has had it's day anyway!

Will hopefully be back there next year for Fright Nights, but not 100% sure yet. Did a lift hill climb of The Swarm this year and the views were amazing, would definitely recommend it to anyone who has the chance!

and the carousel has had it's day anyway!

It certainly doesn't fit in with the parks market any more but it's one of the last vestiges of the park that I grew up with so on a personal level it'll be sad to see it go.

Onwards and upwards though, this is a big investment for the park and I can't wait to see how it goes.

It'd be so nice to see a decent dark ride cone in, WWH probably wasn't the greatest ride and I might be looking back with rose tinted glasses, but it's an area that the park has been lacking in for 15 years so I'm excited to see what they can do.

I totally get where your coming from about WWH. I have an on ride photo of me and my dad on the ride from when I was 5 and I look back on it and smile every time I look at the photo. The ride probably wasn't great but I remember it amazing me as a child and I really did love riding it. I was genuinely gutted when the fire broke out as that ride is one of the earliest big ride memories I have!

I will be interested to see what sort of ride system they go for with this. From a pure capacity point of view I would think an omnimover style system would make sense but I am not sure that is the direction they will go. The other question we have to ask is will there be a basement level to this attraction also because that could easily add a considerable amount of space.

-Craig

• 2 months later...

Over the past couple of days Thorpe Park have been releasing teasers for the new attraction scheduled to open in 2015.

Clue 1:

[vine]

[/vine]

Clue 2:

1610872_10153011750385867_2832249203069886554_n.png.f435b5bad09545447359981a6df88236.png

Clue 3:

[vine]

[/vine]

Clue 4:

[vine]

[/vine]

Clue 5:

10650042_10153013600545867_6210978054832394390_n.jpg.3e912ec0c7a5ef59a42e28dded2ac084.jpg

After all these clues today the attraction was announced as the I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! Maze.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

Concept art for the attraction:

B9o93j9IYAEV08X.jpg-large.jpeg.83124562d6a75a8d62c51a5340e1eeb8.jpeg

This walkthrough attraction is based on the hit UK TV show I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! For those that don't know I'm A Celebrity is a show where they put multiple celebs into the Australian jungle and make them take on all sort of tasks such as eating kangaroos testicles. (Because that whats Australians do right?).

Here is whats the Thorpe Park website has to say about the new attraction.

NEW for 2015, discover a world’s first as I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here! Maze slithers into THORPE PARK Resort on 27 March.

Take a walk on the island’s wild side and compete for the prized star as you take on some of the most iconic trials inspired by the award-winning TV show.

Come face-to-face with the Jungle trials like the Catacombs of Doom and the Chambers of Horror, and remember to save your energy for the Celebrity Cyclone finale!

Will you pass the Trials to become king or queen of the Jungle?

Also to go with this some of the basic ride restrictions have been announced.

The I'm a Celebrity... Get Me Out Of Here! maze is family friendly, but we advise:

- The recommended age limit is 8+, but this is at your own discretion

- You are capable of completing physical activities such as ascending steep gradients, tight angles and an escape chute

- There will be an alternative route available for wheelchair users

So what do you think about the new attraction? Will you head out to the park to experience this new maze? Comment below and let us know!

Edited by StealthFan

Do the guests there also have to eat living small animals? And get showered with them?

Probably not.

It would be cool if they would. But with no real age restrictions proposed, it would be unlikely.

I just hope that it will not be a knock off and be nothing like the amazing show.

It's been confirmed in the press release that there's no eating involved, however the nearby food outlet has been renamed the Bush BBQ and will be serving 'Meal Worm Mayonaise' and 'Critter Coleslaw' - whether these will actually contain any insects remains to be seen.

That's an interesting concept. They tried that show here in the US back in 2009, but it only lasted one season. I'd love to go through the challenges from the show! Well...as long as the horrible people from the US version aren't there!

Honestly one season is about the limit the show should have run in my opinion. I am really surprised the show is still running in this country if I'm honest so when this was announced it was a huge shock.

I really can't see this attraction causing an increase in attendance this season even with one of Merlin's mad genius marketing plans. I believe the park could have easily gone this season without a new attraction due to next years big dark ride. With various investments this year on food and retail outlets the park is hopefully heading in the right direction because it has been on the decline in the past few years.

GwaziBSRider1 wrote:That's an interesting concept. They tried that show here in the US back in 2009, but it only lasted one season. I'd love to go through the challenges from the show! Well...as long as the horrible people from the US version aren't there!

Honestly one season is about the limit the show should have run in my opinion. I am really surprised the show is still running in this country if I'm honest so when this was announced it was a huge shock.

I don't know anything about the UK version, but looking back at the US version, there was no way they would've done a second season. The celebrities on the show were mainly minor and "has-beens." Then, they had two idiotic reality show twerps (Heidi and Spencer from "The Hills") that added a bunch of drama that you really didn't want to watch. I think pretty much everyone who watched it here predicted who won (Lou Diamond Phillips). They also used it to push a lot of personal hygiene products ("If it good enough for celebrities 'trapped' in the jungle, it's good enough for you!")

As for the attraction, I still think the concept is interesting, regardless of it being themed to this show or a similar one (I don't know anything about British reality TV, but the US has enough of these shows as it is).

I don't know anything about the UK version, but looking back at the US version, there was no way they would've done a second season. The celebrities on the show were mainly minor and "has-beens." Then, they had two idiotic reality show twerps (Heidi and Spencer from "The Hills") that added a bunch of drama that you really didn't want to watch. I think pretty much everyone who watched it here predicted who won (Lou Diamond Phillips). They also used it to push a lot of personal hygiene products ("If it good enough for celebrities 'trapped' in the jungle, it's good enough for you!")

As for the attraction, I still think the concept is interesting, regardless of it being themed to this show or a similar one (I don't know anything about British reality TV, but the US has enough of these shows as it is).

You have pretty much described the UK version there its just people seem to be dumb enough to watch that crap. You are right its an interesting concept but interesting doesn't always mean good

^Seriously? I'm a celebrity get me out of here is consistently one of the best two reality shows on UK TV. It has the best two UK TV presenters and has the highest viewing figures with regularly over 10 million viewers. The contestants are always a good mix and it's very well edited.

I think the attraction sounds cheap and temporary but it doesn't change the fact it will do well for the park.

Roll on the new paramount park which will hopefully give a good shock to the stale UK theme park market. It's never good when pretty much all your major parks are owned by the same company.

^I really find it hard to believe it will cause a noticeable increase in attendance. I have spoken to many people at work and people I know who are fans of the show about this attraction. Not one single person, even the die hard fans of the show said this interests them and they want to go and experience it. I am more than happy to be proved wrong and if it does do well for the park then thats great for them. I just personally can't see that happening.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right place but I'm thinking of going to Thorpe Park with some school friends during the Easter Holidays. I was wondering how busy it would be because last time we went, it was the student discount day on a school trip and the queues were horrendously long. When during the holidays would be the best time? Or would it better to go another time? If so, when? (keep in mind we are constrained to school holidays or weekends but we're pretty busy during term time)

• 2 weeks later...

I personally find Easter one of the worst times to go. I think it's because it's the first proper half term of the year so everyone goes for their fix. I normally find just after Easter is the best time to go. Before Easter is also bit of a nightmare because you get all the school trips.

Edited by KarlaKoaster

Not sure if this is the right place but I'm thinking of going to Thorpe Park with some school friends during the Easter Holidays. I was wondering how busy it would be because last time we went, it was the student discount day on a school trip and the queues were horrendously long. When during the holidays would be the best time? Or would it better to go another time? If so, when? (keep in mind we are constrained to school holidays or weekends but we're pretty busy during term time)

Honestly I would never consider going to the park during easter unless I was willing to pay for Fastpass. Easter is one of the busiest times of year before Halloween! I personally would try for a weekend during term time if you can as the queues will be manageable during that period. Well managed except for something like Colossus which just sucks when it comes to queues all the time.

OK thanks, so during Easter will the queues be around 2 hours for most rides? I'm hestitant to go during the Summer term because it's going to be too busy at school with GCSE's. We do break up for summer on the 17th of July though so how busy would it be on the 18th? I know Thorpe Park have student discount days, but I don't know when. Thanks!

OK thanks, so during Easter will the queues be around 2 hours for most rides? I'm hestitant to go during the Summer term because it's going to be too busy at school with GCSE's. We do break up for summer on the 17th of July though so how busy would it be on the 18th? I know Thorpe Park have student discount days, but I don't know when. Thanks!

I would expect a minimum of an hour/hour 30 mins for all major rides. If you are in your final year of school with GCSEs there is no harm in going once you have finished your last exam. The park usually has around half hour queues week days after exams from my personal experiance.

I would expect a minimum of an hour/hour 30 mins for all major rides. If you are in your final year of school with GCSEs there is no harm in going once you have finished your last exam. The park usually has around half hour queues week days after exams from my personal experiance.

Thanks a lot for your help! We're in Year 10 unfortunately so it's our first year of GCSE's but we'll probably go during Easter and again when we break up for Summer. Haven't been to a theme park since Disneyland Paris last September!

^Your welcome.

My friend was at the park weekend and noticed various changes through out the park such as ride signs have been cleaned, Pizza Pasta Buffet is now open in place of Pizza Hut and Chief Rangers Carousel is in the process of being removed. Also he noted the rather large amount of ride closures which included Slammer, Samurai, Rumba Rapids down all day plus Nemesis Inferno, Rush and Tidal Wave down for most of the day. All major coasters on one train.

IMG_1087.thumb.JPG.005df43f23ba77099104465104c7ff8f.JPG

Stealths sign has been cleaned and looks great once again!

IMG_1088.thumb.JPG.b14dba488c562f9fb91afd67a54e887e.JPG

Bye bye Chief Rangers Carousel I really hope you get relocated in the park!

As its the start of the season rides being down is a bit more common than normal but that seems like more than normal to me. While my friend didn't get any pictures of the new Im A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here attraction he did say it basically looks like the Asylum building/Inferno shop has been taken over by trees but it remains to be seen how the finished product it.