TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

The Reventon is the sickest Lamborghini ever, granted (or maybe the new LP 700-4?). But even UK Top Gear only got a showroom model and never drove one, they're that exclusive, so USA Top Gear didn't stand a chance of getting a Reventon.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wish their stunts are a little more original. From what we saw of the previews during episode 1, all the stunts seem to be an imitation of the UK show.

Adam Ferrera is the weakest link on the show for me. He is not very funny, and he ain't a good driver either.

Unfortunately, the American Top Gear is too "Americanized" to appeal to those us of who loved the original. I have heard NASCAR mentioned time after time but not F1 or any other form of racing. Also, I like the Reventon but the thing is just too heavy. Then again, every Murcielago seems to be overweight and needs to have that AWD converted into RWD before they can really provide a pure experience again. Just my opinion but you don't see AWD F1 cars.

BTW The new M Series Coupe looks great so I hope that they can trim off some weight to make it a real performer.

• 1 month later...

to B-Radg........If the Intrepid has the 2.7 v6, just say NO. Those motors are really bad. I have been told by my mechanic friend that if you don't get an oil change every 3k miles, the motor will die. In fact, he recommends doing it every 1500 miles to be safe. If I was you, I would keep the minivan, it may not be cool, but the motor is more reliable then a 2.7v6 Intrepid (if it has the 3.5, it is okay).

Parktrips, this last Sunday's Alaska truck episode was really good to me since I like to wheel. Though it made me mad when the two hosts hit Rutlidges newer Truck (97 Ram) because it was too nice. Also, even though it wouldn't be good for tv, if they had driven off road correctly and used 4lo, all three trucks would have made it.

To rehash an old subject, I loved last week's US Top Gear - Vegas, a Ferrari (even if its a wimpy one), and making fun of the Panamera's atrocious looks

Same.

By the way, I missed the Key West episode where they supposedly put a plane, boat, and car up against each other (which sounds utterly stupid and pointless). Was it any good?

To rehash an old subject, I loved last week's US Top Gear - Vegas, a Ferrari (even if its a wimpy one), and making fun of the Panamera's atrocious looks

Same.

By the way, I missed the Key West episode where they supposedly put a plane, boat, and car up against each other (which sounds utterly stupid and pointless). Was it any good?

I thought the Key West episode was descent....sorta funny that Rutlidge choose the boat, but got sea sick on the way there.....I wish TG US would put the episodes online, but they only have two and the two isn't this one. I honestly don't remember who actually won either.

yeah, it was cool - I know you would have liked it. High-powered boats and cars is all you would need

I honestly don't remember who actually won either.

Even without watching, I'd bet the my life on the plane. Without the magic of editing, there's no way on earth either the car or the boat made that trip faster than the plane. As someone who's traveled that route many times, there's just too many variables by land or sea. Even so, Joe, you're right. That mix of location and high powered machines is eye candy to me. I've now got my dvr fixed and ready to record any re-runs!

Well, they did at least make it to where the guy in the plane needed to take a 45 minute cab ride to the dock. The car won, despite the boat and plane both being able to go faster, and the car getting pulled over on US1. It was "close", however, probably due to editing as you said. The traffic he encountered going to Key West was minimal too, almost like a closed set

I had to go read the episode review.

The boat guy (Wood) had to get a taxi to the boat yard, then endure an hour plus boat ride through an idle zone

The plane guy had to wait a while for a taxi, then a while at the plane yard

The car guy had to find his car, and then he got pulled over.

When they got to key west, the boat and plane guy had to still hoof it or taxi it to the meet up point while the car guy could just drive there. Through the magic of television though, at one point all three where right near each other in the same shot for a minute.

to B-Radg........If the Intrepid has the 2.7 v6, just say NO. Those motors are really bad. I have been told by my mechanic friend that if you don't get an oil change every 3k miles, the motor will die. In fact, he recommends doing it every 1500 miles to be safe. If I was you, I would keep the minivan, it may not be cool, but the motor is more reliable then a 2.7v6 Intrepid (if it has the 3.5, it is okay).

Yeah I know all about the 2.7L. The engine allows condensation into the oil and the tubes are narrow so it sludges up and kills the engine around 70,000 miles (then again my cousin owns one with 120,000 on it and rarely changes the oil and it runs flawlessly.) It has the 3.2L and 150,000 miles so it shouldn't be too bad. There isn't anything noticeably wrong with it. I would love to keep the minivan but currently it's my mom's and we're not in the market for a new car but I need a car of my own.

I had to go read the episode review.

The boat guy (Wood) had to get a taxi to the boat yard, then endure an hour plus boat ride through an idle zone

The plane guy had to wait a while for a taxi, then a while at the plane yard

The car guy had to find his car, and then he got pulled over.

When they got to key west, the boat and plane guy had to still hoof it or taxi it to the meet up point while the car guy could just drive there. Through the magic of television though, at one point all three where right near each other in the same shot for a minute.

That's kind of what I figured it had to be like to make it anywhere near a close race. I've never driven from Miami to Key West in under 3 hours....and that includes all types of traffic. And there's really no way to quickly get around the island at all once you're there.

And yeah, I saw a picture of that scene on the bridge where they're all in the same shot. Like Joe said, definitely a closed set to get many of the "money shots" along the way. I'm sure it pissed off a LOT of people that day.

Fixed one of Jeeps mistakes on making Cherokees that are supposed to be offroad ready.

Took the donut tire off and put one of my full size spares in its place. Now all I need to get is tow hooks and I be wheeling (hopefully purchasing them this week if not, by next month in time for going to Badlands Offroad park in Attica, IN on March 5th).

Might as well show off some pictures from my last two trips also.

Front Jeep is stock minus some sway bar disconnects.

First time this Jeep has been stuck since the guy bought it a year and half ago. And he doesn't go too crazy, but doesn't wimp out.

These are from Jan. 5th

Friends TJ Rubi that had a fresh lift and tires on it.

We also played ice breaker in the creek

Which resulted in this.

Frozen lug nuts and valve stem caps

Stuck TJ, 6.5" of lift and 35" tires

While getting out of the way for someone to winch the red TJ out.

He got stuck

Just to show how big the red TJ is, the white TJ is lifted 2.5 inches and 33's

I applaud them for doing something different. Now, if I run out of gas after several hours of pure driving enjoyment and get stranded in the middle of nowhere, I can fold the seats down and sleep for the night!