TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

CARS! The Car Super Thread

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I thought it was time to get a new car, had to be cheap(ish) to insure and fun to drive, so I decided on the Fiat Panda 100HP, Alot of fun to drive, not lightning on the straights but when it comes to corners its pretty rapid. A Plus is its a fiat because thats who I work for, plus its from my garage so staff rates cant wait hehe. Sign for it monday !

IMGP5342.jpg.28770260cfc4a508383904dfffe91109.jpg

Just like this

So last week I got a notice that our local Skip Barber school is doing an open house today - meaning FREE time with their instructors! So at 7 this morning I headed up with a couple buddies and we spent the morning getting wet but having lots of fun

First up was a small Auto-X course in Mazda MX-5's. These cars were super nimble and perfect for a bunch of turns with no straits long enough to even get out of 2nd gear. All about working on lines!

Next to that was the skid pad with RX-8's - didn't get to see many people really do it well, but did see plenty of spin-outs! Of course I was a natural since I've done this in my own car before

Next up they had an IS-F, Carrerra, Cayman and Evora on a more normal-sized auto-X course, but they didn't let us drive - which is ok because they had their instructors driving WOT to show what the cars were capable of! I can't believe I'm saying this, but the IS-F was a real hooligan - probably mostly due to its massive engine, it just felt much wilder and I probably enjoyed my ride more in it than the tamer Porsche's. Can only imagine what an E92M3 or RS4, which regularly kill the IS-F in comparisons, would feel like

Finally, a lap around the world-famous Road Atlanta in a MX-5 cup car. Totally built for racing, while I know there are faster cars around, these things handled the course beautifully. Lots of fun!

So now I'm sold. The open house got me as I'm sure I'll plop down for the racing school eventually (like I really needed another expensive hobby lol). If you get a chance to take part in something like this, do it!! Even my buddies who would never have done something like this without me loved it.

The family just got a new-ish car the other day, a 2011 Kia Soul Plus. It's such a peppy little car! It's very well-equipped for a $17,000MSRP car, and it's very fun to drive for a SUV/hatchback/thing. The only thing I really don't like about it is that its automatic is only a 4-speed.

As for the Ford thing, I wish they would make the badge larger and actually put it on the grille. You can really tell which "kinetic" Fords were designed mainly for the US (Fusion/Mondeo) and which for Europe (Focus, Escape/Kuga).

• 1 month later...

Would anyone happen to know what "engine serviced" means on a Carfax report? Is it just scheduled routine maintenance, or something to really worry about? The car in question is a 2010, only has 7,000 miles on it, a perfect title, and has a spotless Carfax other than that.

That's a pretty generic one - some are more specific than others, I think that depends on how detailed the dealer is inputting the report into the carfax db. I'd just call them and ask - if its at a dealer that sells that type of car (even if not the dealer that originally delivered the car to the original owner), ask for the full service history to be faxed over or go try to pick it up. An actual dealer service report will be far more helpful than carmax, and a pre-purchase inspection is a better way to determine if a car is *actually* clean

could be routine, could have just had a dud of a component to start with, you'll just have to ask around

My 2003 Z4 is about to turn 10 and I have finally decided to turn it in for a new one. I have the 2013 Z4 sDrive35i on order and I have a delivery date of September 17th. The best part is that I pick the car up in Munich. Who knew that it is 7% cheaper to pick the car up in Germany. The money saved will almost pay for our mini Europen vacation.

Z4.thumb.jpg.51b22203851bfd6468fdac5efe425c0a.jpg

^ I'll give you a hint: there is no reason not to take a Euro Delivery on a new BMW. Especially when you can pick it up in Munich in late September

Congrats Bob! The newer Z4s are a step up in luxury compared to the first generation. Joey and I saw someone pick up a Z4 there 2 years ago

^ Cool. Bob, if you don't mind me asking, what is the cost to ship it?

$895, delivered to the dealer of your choice. Same price as any car that you buy here.

The pros for European Delivery are that you save 7% on the car and you get to drive your own car all around Europe. There are 12 differant drop off locations, doesn't have to be Munich. I'm going to return to Munich because Oktoberfest starts the weekend after I get there.

The only con is that I won't get my car to California for 8 to 10 weeks. The timing depends on how soon the truck comes to take it to port at Bremerhaven, then how soon the ship leaves for the states. I assume it lands on the East coast then is trucked across the country.

^ That is an awesome BMW! I hope you enjoy it (as I'm sure you will)!

My dad and I pulled the trigger on this today. We've been wanting something for a while, and were looking at a few different cars (Challengers, Mustangs, GTOs, etc.), but went with the Camaro. We both really like it so far...extremely fun to drive! Who knew that a brand new 2012 model is only a few thousand more than a used 2010? The 45th anniversary edition touches are really cool too!

Untitled.thumb.jpg.5ca8849ccde2cc8f1e06bf4c0b3a8126.jpg

2012 Camaro 2SS M/T 45th Anniversary Edition

^ Nice.

$895, delivered to the dealer of your choice. Same price as any car that you buy here.

The pros for European Delivery are that you save 7% on the car and you get to drive your own car all around Europe. There are 12 differant drop off locations, doesn't have to be Munich. I'm going to return to Munich because Oktoberfest starts the weekend after I get there.

The only con is that I won't get my car to California for 8 to 10 weeks. The timing depends on how soon the truck comes to take it to port at Bremerhaven, then how soon the ship leaves for the states. I assume it lands on the East coast then is trucked across the country.

Yeah, that is a great deal. Pickup plus Oktoberfest is definitely a win win situation! Sucks to have to wait 8 to 10 weeks though. I'd be happy to personally deliver it once it reaches our shore though.....even to Fresno...I think.

It's always big front-wheel drive, 1996-2004 GM cars that get messed with like that - Pontiac Grand Prix, Buick Lesabre/Park Avenue/Riviera, Chevrolet Impala, Cadillac Deville; surprisingly I haven't seen any "ghetto-fied" Oldsmobile Auroras yet. I hope it stays that way, because I have a closet love for the Aurora.

As for the Ford thing, I wish they would make the badge larger and actually put it on the grille. You can really tell which "kinetic" Fords were designed mainly for the US (Fusion/Mondeo) and which for Europe (Focus, Escape/Kuga).
That smaller logo is Ford's new marketing philosophy. Their research has shown that people still associate newer Fords with Fix or Repair Daily era. Even their new marketing campaigns just talk about the product and its features but not the brand itself

^ Nice.

Yeah, that is a great deal. Pickup plus Oktoberfest is definitely a win win situation! Sucks to have to wait 8 to 10 weeks though. I'd be happy to personally deliver it once it reaches our shore though.....even to Fresno...I think.

If I had a lot more time I would take delivery at their High Performance Driving school in South Carolina. They give you a one night stay, dinner and one day at the school in a car similar to the one you are getting for no additional cost. A lot of people do this after the European Delivery then just drive home.