TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Darien Lake (SFDL) Discussion Thread

I am sure everyone is aware that "announcement season" is upon us. This would be great if DL were to be getting a new coaster next year, which we all understand is highly unlikely, but they will most likely add something. Keep an eye out for the town of darien and genesse county planning board meetings and agendas as any attraction will need approval.

I am sure everyone is aware that "announcement season" is upon us. This would be great if DL were to be getting a new coaster next year, which we all understand is highly unlikely, but they will most likely add something. Keep an eye out for the town of darien and genesse county planning board meetings and agendas as any attraction will need approval.

DL is usually a Feb/March announcement, save Blast Off.

Edited by Tackleberry

DL is usually a FebtMarch announcement, save Blast Off.

I'm hoping for Darien Lake to make an announcement about a new ride (or two) in September or October!

Going to the park for the first time on Thursday...how are lines usually for the rides? Any notable lines for the major rides or anything to be concerned about?

Thursday's are usually pretty quiet. The water park is usually mobbed every day, you'll usually have your longest waits of the day there. The Tornado and Brain Drain usually have the longest lines, Brain Drain can have an hour wait at times, usually it's the longest line I wait in all day. In addition, the water rides in the park like Grizzly Run and Thunder Rapids usally have decent line ups all day. As for the dry park you shouldn't wait more than two cycles on pretty much all of the rides aside from ROS which can be anywhere from like 2 to 5 cycles depending on when you hit it. But even with that I don't see you waiting more than 15-20min for any dry ride. Hoped that helped. Have fun!

DL is usually a Feb/March announcement, save Blast Off.

This is where I feel like announcing a roller coaster is a lot different than announcing a used drop tower. It probably takes a lot less work to install a single column over an entire coaster layout. I wish we had some sort of recent coaster addition that we could base a time frame for anew announcement out of, but we don't (it's been 8 years since motocoaster, 17 since RoS, both of which - I believe - were under two Seperate managements than were under now). BUT, to be realistic, I don't expect any sort of large attraction at this park at all for at least a few years. They're already tentatively putting a second train on RoS, that probably doesn't leave them with a lot of funds to add something else large to the park in 2017 at least. I'd expect maybe a show or two (after all we do have the SBNO Gazebo Stage and dare I say it, Galaxy Theatre). What I would recommend though for hopeful enthusiasts, is to focus on Fantasy Island this off season. As crazy as it sounds, they are now under new management and it's been speculated that they will be adding a large attraction to celebrate the new aquirement (perhaps something like Steel Hawg at Indiana Beach??). As I've said millions of times, I'm a DL fanboy, but considering their past, I don't see a large attraction in their near future

Going to the park for the first time on Thursday...how are lines usually for the rides? Any notable lines for the major rides or anything to be concerned about?

As soon as the rope drops, hit Ride of Steel, and the rides along its midway first. You shouldn't have a problem getting all those in unless there is a mechanical problem.

As one user mentioned above me, the water park will be mobbed. If possible, make sure to get there right at opening so you can get some quick rides on Brain Drain, Big Kahuna, and Swirl City before the line packs in. The water rides in the park will be quiet at this time as well.

While the "friends that work at x park" rumors only turn out to be true 5% of the time, if that's the case, DL better think about adding SOMETHING in the coaster department soon. Not that Fantasy Island would ever come close to competing with them, but Fantasy Island really is a small park, and if they can add something, DL can too. A lot of people (especially in the family demographic) would probably consider buying passes there instead, or taking a vacation to another park altogether.

I think it would be pretty cool to see a little "local park competition". Even if FI is so much smaller, which indeed it is, if they start adding some larger attractione (granted the he said she said is true) then DL may be forced to either add some stuff too, or deal with the loss in either attendance, season pass purchases, or both. It's like a mini coaster war if this ever happens!!!

^^ Get your rides on the log flume early, Bill...they close it down when the water park closes at 7. Not sure why as they are not even close to being together, but all water rides close at 7:00.

We ended up missing it because of this...figured if we waited until later that the line wouldn't be as long.

^^ Get your rides on the log flume early, Bill...they close it down when the water park closes at 7. Not sure why as they are not even close to being together, but all water rides close at 7:00.

We ended up missing it because of this...figured if we waited until later that the line wouldn't be as long.

Thanks for the tip. I'm sort of expecting the Flume to be the 2nd or 3rd best ride in the park so we'll be hitting it frequently. Honestly it'll be 5 hours each way and a day trip so we'll probably be out of there by then anyway. Besides the coasters, the flume and moose on the loose (lol that is so happening) are there any must-rides?

I would say that other than the coasters and a few others, be sure to hit blast off and the haymaker. The haymaker is a paratrooper type ride, but is the only one in existence by Heinz Fahtz making it a must ride in my book

^^Not sure if you're too pressed for time, but the Moose would be an awesome addition to your ongoing TR (which is the best thing on the planet btw).

I would say in the flat department, Silver Bullet and Corn Popper are unique. Silver Bullet is more forceful than the typical Huss or Schwarzkopf model. You could hit the Giant Wheel too if it isn't mobbed.

For Predator, my tip is definitely use the Mean Streak trick in the front. I personally prefer the back for more intensity, but be warned, this may be one of the roughest rides you will ever go on, and there's nothing to prevent the pain in the back.

Sold on Haymaker, thanks for the tip. And yeah Moose is happening for sure. No way in hell would I miss that. On a related note, do they sell beer? And if so can you walk around with it or do you need to stay in "beer jail"?

Lol glad you like the trip reports.

Sold on Haymaker, thanks for the tip. And yeah Moose is happening for sure. No way in hell would I miss that. On a related note, do they sell beer? And if so can you walk around with it or do you need to stay in "beer jail"?

Lol glad you like the trip reports.

Yes they do. And you can walk around with it. I would suggest going to the General Store near the campground. You can buy large cans of beer for cheaper than in the park. The only downfall is that it is kind of out of the way of everything. Many stands in park sell beer though, just higher priced, and there are a few sit down bars.

If you need a bit of a boost in the morning, there's a Tim Horton's right near the park entrance with normal store pricing last time I checked.

^ Or....you can get the souvenir cup for like $10.99 and refills for $7.99. The photos below show where you can get one of the cups right next to Ride Of Steel. Labatts Blue is on draft but I would recommend Flying Bison Rusty Chain - an awesome local beer.

They only run one train on ROS so the line sucks, but you can just grab a beer and get right in line! There is no shade, so if it's hot, you will need said beer. The employee at the queue entrance only asked if I would finish it before the ride and I was like, "Oh, not a problem there!" There is also a bar right over by the log flume that has even more good draft beer so you will never run out of options. You see, we people here in Western NY really love our alcohol so you never have to venture very far to get it.

Not sure, but why do I have a feeling that you are really going to love this park a shitload more than you loved La Ronde?

PS - Another fun tip: Ride Predator in the front ala Mean Streak style and I am sure that you will love it.

PSS - Yet another fun tip: Every time you see the remains of 'Cuda Falls, you must drink - those are the rules.

PSSS - Even yet another fun tip: You might want to spend the night at the lodge or rent a cabin, camper or one of those glamping tents. All of those beers can catch up with you in a hurry in that summer heat!

DSC05933.JPG.593666a764c711a8f6051dd1e637ac99.JPG

Right next to Ride Of Steel - get yer ice cold beer here!

DSC05935.JPG.b9ae2e49a88ba37794ced9f6a2ca4599.JPG

Me happy boy with huge mug of ice cold Rusty Chain - Destination Fun indeed!

DSC05948.JPG.09389cb004cb34c364ea1786970d3a89.JPG

Boooo...closed flume! But...I was able to get another beer refill right next to the flume, so that made my tears go away.

DSC05961.JPG.95c4f59597fd628208e293706944c640.JPG

Just about finished up before our night ride on ROS. Perfect way to end the day!

DSC05969.JPG.ac589574c9257f35dd750c2d9ccb3a24.JPG

Okay. By the time I had hot wings at the Anchor Bar (pretty good wings for a theme park), I admit that I was pretty much shit-faced. Luckily, we only had to walk back to the campground so no driving was involved. On the way out, I proudly sang along with Lee Greenwood's smash hit: 'Proud to be Unamurican' during the laser light and fireworks show.

It's a fuzzy memory that I will always savor.