TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Halloweentime at Disneyland

Is it the manson this is halloween on the movie one? I am assuming it's the movie one, but if its the manson one the bass is pretty awesome. Anyway, Jack(and all the residents of halloween/christmas town) hold a special place in my heart as Nightmare is the greatest movie ever made. That would be awesome if Disney did a nightmare thing similar to rocky horror at Uni, I know all the songs, and it is like one of the main cult classics of our generation(something I read somewhere)

Its time for the reign of Jack, the pumpkin king!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GHOST GALAXY and HALLOWEEN SCREAMS reviewed...

*** contains spoilers ***

I just got back from another exciting shift at Big Thunder, sandwiched by cast member previews of Space Mountain: Ghost Galaxy and then Halloween Screams fireworks spectacular. I arrived backstage behind Space Mountain around 1 pm and met up with some of my friends from Indiana Jones and Thunder. I entered through a backstage entrance and only waited in a small portion of the queue, but from what I can tell, there is nothing added to the queue as far as new scenery or audio, which is ok, because Ghost Galaxy fits the already well-themed interior of Space Mountain perfectly. Outside, in front of the building, projections of the ghost ripping through the roof of Space Mtn accompanied by a loud roar frequently play.

My first (of 10!) rides was in the third row, and out of all the rows, rows 1 through 3 are the best for seeing the new projections. The rocket is weighed and dispatched as normal but right away we notice that the first lift is much darker than before, and the lights at the top glow green instead of the traditional blue color. The rocket turns right and heads into what would be the flashing-light approach to the second, and largest lift of the ride. This area is now completely pitch black, and this is where the great new audio really starts to effect the ride. Instead of the "spinning barrel of red lights" effect that happens on your average trip on SM, there is nothing but stars drifting alongside your ascending rocket. At the top of the lift, we see a galaxy swirling in the distance. The projection zooms out to reveal the ghost that will haunt the rest of your journey. The ghost is the same one as seen in the promotional artwork and poster for Ghost Galaxy. A massive, fiery, top-half-torso of a skeleton with the aforementioned swirling galaxy for an eyeball. As you continue to climb the lift, the ghost becomes angered at your presence, and hurls lightning bolts down the lift tunnel, as it lets out a startling roar.

From here, the rockets take a left u-turn as the ghost's arm slowly reaches through a cloud of stars. As you ascend the final lift, it peers out from a nebula and then chases after you as you begin to speed up and carve through the first set of turns. For the ride itself, there are new projections of ghostly comets flying alongside you in the turns. During the coaster's "big drop", the ghost's hand reaches down for you as you fall. The ghost appears many times in pursuit of your rocket, with the new audio assisting it's "scares" very well. In the star tunnel, where your photo is taken, its face appears suddenly on the left which seems to be the most effective scare on the ride. While you're waiting in line for ghost galaxy at the end of the queue, you will hear the entire rocket screaming from inside the attraction as the rockets come into the brakes.

Overall Ghost Galaxy was very impressive and exceeded my expectations. I new to only expect new audio and new projections of animations, and both were exceptional and were a perfect overlay for an already amazing classic roller coaster. Ghost Galaxy is loud, dark, and for some will be very frightening, so much so that I am surprised and pleased to see Disney offering such a "grown-up" Halloween attraction. Many of the other cast members I rode with were surprised to say the ride actually scared them. My opinion is that this is a must-see and will be a huge success. Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy opens to guests Friday, September 25th along with Haunted Mansion Holiday and the new Halloween Screams fireworks show.

Speaking of fireworks, I had just learned that tonight at 9:30, there would be a full rehearsal of Halloween Screams which conveniently right when my Big Thunder Mountain Railroad shift ended. I made it over and was able to get a bench right in front of the castle for the show. The fireworks were very good, and original. It introduced a new, never before seen spiraling green shell that I thought was the coolest part of the show. These new fireworks can be seen during the 'Trust In Me' segment of the show. This show is long! It must have been about 15 minutes of solid fireworks, exploding fireballs, and lasers. The show is accompanied by songs of the Disney villains. Some of you have been asking about the music of Halloween Screams so here are at least most of the songs from the show, all of the songs are re-sung and are not actual songs from the movie/ride.

This Is Halloween - Nightmare Before Christmas

Grim-Grinnin' Ghosts - a new version

Cruella DeVille - 101 Dalmatians

Poor Unfortunate Souls - The Little Mermaid

Crocodile Song -Peter Pan

Trust In Me - Jungle Book

Heffalumps and Woozles - Pooh

Pink Elephants - Dumbo

Melefecient - Sleeping Beauty

Frolo's Song - Hunchback of Notre Dame

Oogie Boogie Man - Nightmare Before Christmas

Zero, the ghost dog from Nightmare Before Christmas starts the show by flying out above the castle before the first shell ever takes off. The music was perfect for this new show and the new effects like spark shooters, helix fireworks, and fireball guns left me very impressed.

This is definitely going to be a great Halloweentime at Disneyland, I'll see you all there, thanks for reading!

1763465085_SpaceMountainGG001.thumb.jpg.22c09cad2bfd922741feb65659925d4c.jpg

I went to Disneyland today to experience the kick off to the Halloween festivities. I'll simply say that ECZenith details the Ghost Galaxy quite well. Where as I only got to ride once today, due to the line never being less than an hour and a half, and out of town friends with us. I look forward to going back next week on a less busy day and hopefully getting a few more rides in. Any who, the whole que is unchanged except for random signs posted saying "Ghost Galaxy might be frightening for some younger guests" The signs look rather out of place actually, it would have been nice had they changed the cheesy warning videos to match the ghost galaxy theme or something to tie in this Halloween theme a bit more. The effects to me beyond the lift hill were fun, but not very frightening, except for that last surprise at the end, that one got me pretty good. The one thing that really stood out in the changes was the new sound track, very ominous and sets a good tone for the ride, as this is also the first clue that something is different on the ride. I do hope that they add to this over the years and bring it up one more notch of scare, as I didn't see a single person or kid looking all too scared when coming off. In fact I saw many more sad and scared faces on the Holiday Haunted Mansion today.

I did not get to see the fireworks, but I heard a bit of the soundtrack. And well no matter where you are in the park, you will HEAR the grand finale!

It should be noted that most of the music in Halloween Screams is actually from WDW's Hallowishes shuffled around with a Nightmare before Christmas "story" added on. I really enjoyed the show and Ghost Galaxy was everything Revenge of the Mummy (both versions!) should have been lol. What I liked more is the projections they have on the outside of Space Mountain they had quite a few effects besides the claw marks ripping through the structure all with loud sound effects to scare the crap out of you lol. It will definitely make your two hour (!) wait for the ride more tolerable at night. From what I've heard they are not using the maximum number of trains due to the projections inside overlapping each other so prepare for longer lines if you are heading out for the ride!

All in all a way better overlay then Rockit mountain (which I liked!) and a solid firework show (ZERO!!!) now all they need is a parade and they are all set for a great Halloween time.

Just got home a little bit ago, I loved the Ghost Galaxy layover it was done quite well. I actually got scared at end of the ride as well. One of my favorite things though was the projections and audio on the exterior of the ride. We stood and watched those for a full hour before getting in line. They were very cool and creepy. I recorded all of them but only have one uploaded so far.

As far as the fireworks...I was totally looking forward to these the most and it was a HUGE disappointment. About 5 min in I wanted to leave but we stuck it out until it was over. It put a damper on the night from how bad they sucked. The music was unbearable, it reminded me of those stupid Kidz Bop CD's that are always on commercials. I know they have to re-do them to make it work for the show but don't make it sound like some crappy Disney channel band. Oh well, Ghost Galaxy later that night made up for the crappy show.

Leave it to Disney to have an awesome lighting package like that, but only use it temporarily

Actually that makes me appreciate Disney even more because most parks would not spend the money to make such a cool looking light show for such a short amount of time. Props to Disney for a very cool looking light package. I won't be able to make it to DL until later this year, so I guess I'll just have to wait and see if Ghost Galaxy comes back next year.

---Brent

I rode this yesterday too, and let me tell you it was insane! Well worth wait for me. It was like 70min. stand by while the Fastpass machines were down. I would've just wished they would have made the queue area more creepy, but the video at the loading station was a nice touch. The projects we're really cool, and the eerie sound effects and music were a nice as well. And I think i'm the only one, but i got scared at the end, it really caught me off guard. lol! Well yeah, if anyone is by Disneyland before November 1, you should definitely try this out!!

Leave it to Disney to have an awesome lighting package like that, but only use it temporarily

Actually that makes me appreciate Disney even more because most parks would not spend the money to make such a cool looking light show for such a short amount of time. Props to Disney for a very cool looking light package.

Haha, that's what I was trying (and failed) to imply. I'm amazed that Disney would do something this cool for a short amount of time, they really rarely ever cheap out on anything (except for say, bird on a stick and EE's backside)

This would be my shaky cam version of the fireworks lol. It's the whole show minus a minute of the Nightmare Before Christmas overture before the show actually gets under way. It was also pretty foggy by that time yesterday.

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=00001_nxo0[/coastertube]

And it runs every night of Halloween Time (even when the park closes at 8PM!) So go check it out if you can, they are really fun.

Honestly, those videos really don't do justice. After seeing it in person, not only is it creepy but indeed something awesome to just sit around and watch. After waiting in line for Ghost Galaxy,(which by the way is something that everyone should try to get the chance to do) after exiting the ride you just can't help but look back to stare and listen to the audio. Disney has a real winner here, inside and out.

^It's really fun to see how much they add every year for Halloween. I'm really happy with what they added this year, and so far everyone who I've talked says they have as well. Have a good time!

Here are a couple of HD videos for two the effects on the outside of the building, you can definitely see the cool projections in these.

I have been on Ghost Galaxy a total of 15 times now and as soon as I get back to the west coast I'll be back in line again! I'm glad so many of you enjoy the layover as much as I do, it's clear that it was a huge success and we will likely see it return next year. Such a clever idea that was perfectly executed, Imagineering never ceases to amaze me!

^ I LOVE how Disneyland did the light shows on Space Mountain!
Such a clever idea that was perfectly executed, Imagineering never ceases to amaze me!

Actually, you can thank Hong Kong Disneyland. Remember this is just a copy of what Hong Kong has been doing for the past few years. And from what I've seen of the videos so far, this looks *EXACTLY* like the Hong Kong version.

That's not a bad thing, by any means, the Hong Kong version was freaking AMAZING.

But I just wanted to give a little credit where it's due because it seems like a lot of people are crediting Disneyland for this makeover, and that's not where it originated.

Hong Kong Disneyland has had Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy for three years now.

--Robb

i was at DL last weekend to checkout the new Halloween Stuff and Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy was awesome .

I knew they took the same exact idea from Hong Kong Disneyland but it's very nice to have it at Disneyland .

The New Halloween Fireworks was very good as well but now if Disney take HKDL as an Example they should setup theses Walkthrue thing they have in HKDL like the Main Street Hotel and Jungle Demon .

When my homepark DLP will have the same thing this would be AWESOME .