TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

^woop woop! Lookin good Might be a longshot, but a viewing area under the ride would be a big hit. I remember Demon having one under the corks, but that was gone by the late 80s. (Does the CA Demon still have its viewing area?)

Yes it does but not under the corks, just near them. It's actually a pathway that's part of the exit.

I'm speaking of the "Demon viewing area" (there was a sign for it) which was under one of the corkscrews, near the old waterfall and blood fountains I'm thinking it was taken out around the time of Splash Water Falls.

^woop woop! Lookin good Might be a longshot, but a viewing area under the ride would be a big hit. I remember Demon having one under the corks, but that was gone by the late 80s. (Does the CA Demon still have its viewing area?)

Yes it does but not under the corks, just near them. It's actually a pathway that's part of the exit.

I'm speaking of the "Demon viewing area" (there was a sign for it) which was under one of the corkscrews, near the old waterfall and blood fountains I'm thinking it was taken out around the time of Splash Water Falls.

Are you talking about the area in the lower right hand of this picture?

I would so love to ride this thing. And I`m a big fan of the structure

But I don`t get used to the red track in combination with the brown colors of the rest. It just doesn`t fit at all IMHO

Anyway, the ride will kick all kinds of a$$ for shure

The track is actually an orange color, though on the camera it looks red. I don't know if orange works better in combination with the brown in your mind, but it is definitely very unique and striking in person.

Are they still pretending this thing is going to be ready for riders on the 29th or have they come to their senses yet? The ride looks great but the track work isn't even finished and that's less than a week away.

The zero g stall went in in a day. The track work including grout will be finished by sunday. Everything else is done and they only ned to cycle each train 50 times before it can take riders. Thats what, a day? Media day is firmly scheduled for 9 am thursday and the exclusive ride times have been given to various coaster clubs and fans who have bought merchandise at the park over the past 2 weeks for the whole weekend leading up to a june1st or 2nd opening to the public.

Are they still pretending this thing is going to be ready for riders on the 29th or have they come to their senses yet? The ride looks great but the track work isn't even finished and that's less than a week away.

The zero g stall went in in a day. The track work including grout will be finished by sunday. Everything else is done and they only ned to cycle each train 50 times before it can take riders. Thats what, a day? Media day is firmly scheduled for 9 am thursday and the exclusive ride times have been given to various coaster clubs and fans who have bought merchandise at the park over the past 2 weeks for the whole weekend leading up to a june1st or 2nd opening to the public.

They should be able to do cycle those trains 50 times in a day no problem, assuming everything goes smoothly,I would think. I still see them getting this done by next week, considering they will work through the weekend.

Whoaaaa... didn't expect my comment about playing hooky from school to being a discussion regarding the current education system. I think this just proves the Coaster Community DOES care. Regardless of where you stand when it comes to skipping school.

Anyway, I'm trying to figure the "logistics" behind a last minute trip to Chicago. I'm very comfortable utilizing Chicago's commuter trains and public transportation. Any suggestions for the best way to get from downtown to SFGAm if I'm not renting a car? I'd like to take the train out of St. Louis, as The 9YO Coaster Kid still has a fascination with anything that moves via rails, and stay somewhere within walking distance to Union Station.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

If you take the Chicago Blue line to the Rosemont stop there is a "Six flags bus" for four bucks. Drops you off about an hour after open, and leaves the park 15 after park close.

Everything else is done and they only ned to cycle each train 50 times before it can take riders.

I never knew that. How come almost every other new coaster (including other RMC coasters) need about a month of testing?

^Seems a little short for a testing time frame. Just my opinion. Hopefully all electrical work has been done for sensors, drive motors etc....

Has the lift chain been installed yet?

I think it is because we are used to seeing a ride's track and supports finished about a month or more ahead of everything else, including electrical work, station construction, break installation, and testing, so we associate that whole month with the testing process. The ride is atypical by design, but traditional and reliable in that it is RMC's third six flags installation, 4th in the US, and runs a 2-train operation with no mid-course break run and a traditional lift. I don't anticipate there being any problems, unless a thunderstorm rolls through and hinders their ability to operate the ride on a scheduled testing day. The park is very confident it will be ready by Thursday so I'm no longer questioning it. I am not sure if Rob will be in attendance, but if there was any doubt about its opening date, by now we and members of the media who need to travel long distances (like Rob) would have needed to be informed.

^Seems a little short for a testing time frame. Just my opinion. Hopefully all electrical work has been done for sensors, drive motors etc....

Has the lift chain been installed yet?

I saw pictures from a few days ago with the chain on the ground and the zero g stall supports going back up. I am going to guess that it has been installed, only because I haven't seen a tall crane focused on the lift hill since Wednesday morning. Over the past two days or so, workers have been seen finishing the railing/catwalk along the lift. Perhaps they are doing other lift-related work as well?

Anyway, I'm trying to figure the "logistics" behind a last minute trip to Chicago. I'm very comfortable utilizing Chicago's commuter trains and public transportation. Any suggestions for the best way to get from downtown to SFGAm if I'm not renting a car? I'd like to take the train out of St. Louis, as The 9YO Coaster Kid still has a fascination with anything that moves via rails, and stay somewhere within walking distance to Union Station.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

It can be done, you would just have to do a few transfers. You'd have to walk from Union Station to Metra Ogilvie Transportation Center, which is only 3 blocks. Take the Metra Union Pacific North line to Waukegan. You can then take a Pace bus from the Metra station to the park. The SFGAm bus stop is at Grand Ave and Six Flags Drive, so you'd still have to walk down Six Flags Drive to the park entrance. All easy to do without a rental car.

Just FYI- Bus fare is $1.85 each way for an adult, and your 9 year old is $0.85. Metra train fare is $6.75 each way for an adult, and $3.25 for your child.

The information is much appreciated, thank you!

Whoaaaa... didn't expect my comment about playing hooky from school to being a discussion regarding the current education system. I think this just proves the Coaster Community DOES care. Regardless of where you stand when it comes to skipping school.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Do you not own a car? Driving will be 10 times easier.

Read again, Negative Nancy...

My boy LOVES trains. This is for him. Easy is not always the most enjoyable option when it comes to making memories with the kids, and it's well worth the trouble. Don't be such an arse.

by now we and members of the media who need to travel long distances would have needed to be informed.

Funny thing about the world, it doesn't revolve around your plans. It'll be ready when it's ready and if they can't make May 29th, they can't. There's no blame game to do if that happens. Crap happens, yet somehow life goes on. Besides, it's not like there isn't a ton of other stuff to do at Great America and the surrounding area.

by now we and members of the media who need to travel long distances would have needed to be informed.

Funny thing about the world, it doesn't revolve around your plans. It'll be ready when it's ready and if they can't make May 29th, they can't. There's no blame game to do if that happens. Crap happens, yet somehow life goes on. Besides, it's not like there isn't a ton of other stuff to do at Great America and the surrounding area.

I think what Goooose means is that they need some days ahead of time to know if media day is being delayed. It wouldn't make media outlets happy if they show up on Thursday and Six Flags isn't prepared to open the ride. There's media coming from NYC, LA, and I believe a Dallas or Houston paper as well that'll be attending media day. It's a bit easier on media coming from Chicago since it's not far, but it wouldn't be fair to those traveling hundreds or even thousands of miles for media day and then the park isn't even ready to open the attraction. The media isn't attending media day only to ride other rides at the park (except for us enthusiasts) or visit other attractions in the area. They're going so they can report about the one thing they came for, and that one thing is Goliath. If bad weather strikes on a media day, then it's not the park's fault since the park obviously can't control the weather.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Do you not own a car? Driving will be 10 times easier.

Read again, Negative Nancy...

My boy LOVES trains. This is for him. Easy is not always the most enjoyable option when it comes to making memories with the kids, and it's well worth the trouble. Don't be such an arse.

Seriously! And to think, you are using public transportation, helping offset your impact on our lovely environment, and also easing up on unnecessary congestion on Chicago's already horrible "express" ways. Plus your kid will love it! You'll have a nice extra $20 in your pocket too thanks to not having to park.

Good for you!

People and their cars

Goku1910 from SFGAm World said he contacted SFGAm's guest relations and they confirmed that there won't be a Goliath season pass holder preview, only the midnight ERT for people who buy the Goliath shirts and sweaters from the park.

I really hope that isn't true because I passed up on buying two Goliath t-shirts 2 days ago when I went because I was expecting there to be a pass holder preview. Their PR team confirmed multiple times throughout the off season that they would have one. I know plans can change last minute but still, I would be pretty mad if they didn't have one.

^as a season pass holder I am feeling about as angry as I did when I found out that single day pass holders get to use the faster line through security

I'm bummed out about this. Anyways, they're filling in the drop now...