TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

the manufacturer ends up being Intamin, Rocky Mountain, or (somehow) Gravity Group, you wouldn't go wrong with either of them

You could go wrong with Gravity Group. They have nice designs and made my second favorite coaster (The Voyage), but a lot of their rides are very rough. Not saying that they couldn't make a smooth coaster, but I don't think Six Flags would want to have to refurbish this ride every off-season just to keep it somewhat smooth.

I have no problem with Intamin coming in, but I bet Rocky Mountain is doing it.

I don't understand where Intamin comes into this, I know they've made one woodie in the past for Six Flags and have all of their other amazing woodies at other parks, but did they ever specify in any concepts or interviews that they'd be willing to experiment with inversions on woodies? I'd go with RMC since Six Flags hasn't built any Gravity Group coaters in the past

I signed up in case I'm able to go but I wished they would give you the instructions sooner than Wednesday night. It also depends on gas money if I'll make the trip or not. If the rides were open I would definitely go but I just don't have $40 in gas money to spend making a trip to Gurnee for an announcement that someone will probably have a live stream of or tweets.

I signed up in case I'm able to go but I wished they would give you the instructions sooner than Wednesday night. It also depends on gas money if I'll make the trip or not. If the rides were open I would definitely go but I just don't have $40 in gas money to spend making a trip to Gurnee for an announcement that someone will probably have a live stream of or tweets.

Especially if you live in Rockford. Traffic down I90 is terrible right now with that construction.

Especially if you live in Rockford. Traffic down I90 is terrible right now with that construction.

I-90 actually runs north to south beside where I live so it won't take me anywhere near the park. I take 173 almost all the way east from my house which is a good 70 miles or so, plus they're doing construction on 173 to add another lane to the road which has been a mess the last few years. It's almost as bad as I-90's construction.

A bit off the path of discussion... Greatamericaparks.com facebook page posted this picture today. I've never seen this one, and like it!

1231089_10151642303905959_30965343_n.jpg

Don't miss Whizzer with 3 trains around the lift. Very cool! Ye old "get in and go" coaster days.

That's great - I love those old Marriott's Great America photos. The Santa Clara park was my hometown park as a kid growing up, and Willard's Whizzer was my first real coaster. Loved it -- still do (the one at SFGam). I remember when they had 4 (maybe 5?) trains going at once.

I also miss the turn of the Century.

(This photo is Gurnee, obviously. Funny to see how little development there was around both parks when the first open, esp. Santa Clara.)

I really wish I was around for the original great america, I fell that I would have enjoyed it more in its original state than what six flags has made it into.

For quaintness and charm, yes. But if you love coasters, 6F is the best thing to happen to GAm so far. They've put more into it than any other ownership (while simultaneously quashing the charm)

I really wish I was around for the original great america, I fell that I would have enjoyed it more in its original state than what six flags has made it into.

It was very pretty park and actually tried to keep to its themes. Obviously, things are clouded by nostalgia.

While many things were "nicer," remember that there were only 3 coasters (or 2 or 4/5, depending on the year you're thinking). I remember Tidal Wave and Demon having 45 to hour waits on the weekends, and Whizzer was always under 30 minutes (even with a full queue). The efficiencies now are probably 1/2 of what they were in 1980 (or even less, in Whizzer's case; compare 2,200pph compared to whatever they do now), BUT there were less rides.

Now that I'm thinking of it, Demon and Whizzer probably have longer waits on busy weekends now... but at least you have more to chose from these days

I really need to chime in on this subject. Yes, the theme park has been lacking with theming updates and is getting ad-wrapped to all heck, but look at the water park. Beautiful theming (Real fricking palm trees in northern Illinois!), fantastic new and fresh rides, gorgeous buildings that give it a boardwalk feel. I mean, holy cow the water park is one of the best themed parks I've been to at a Six Flags park. You can clearly tell the direction that they're starting to go in and I like it.

Remember how Shockwave was a parking lot coaster? Have you seen the trees they planted that are starting to get pretty tall around Superman? I imagine that the area for Superman when it was built looked like how the area for The Whizzer did when it was built, and look at it now.

Despite all of the Six Flags sabotage the Gurnee park has retained much of its old charm and is continuing to develop it for the better.

Remember how Shockwave was a parking lot coaster?

Yup, and a damn fine one at that! If I knew what would take it's place, I would have given it more attention that last year. Shockwave was awesome - after you learned how to ride it, of course. Under the seat pads, you could make a lot of money! (no, I wouldn't steal from the park now, as an adult). I assume everyone knows the hills under Superman's lift are the old footers buried over?

Despite all of the Six Flags sabotage the Gurnee park has retained much of its old charm and is continuing to develop it for the better.

My main gripes are over operation and stupid-long entrance and exit queues. But with all the complaints, I still love my home park and think it's one of (if not) the best in the chain.