TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Great America (SFGAm) Discussion Thread

This is one of the more interesting additions of recent vintage as it's been awhile since they've added something in that back corner of the park. Still amazing to think what all has been through there - from Whirligig to moving the train station over several feet for Z-Force to Iron Wolf and now this. Obviously this will be quite visible from Washington, but I wonder just how much of it you'll be able to spot from the tollway? So many of the new "big" additions have been in spots that are easily visible from the tollway....this one is back there as far as you can go.

If this is a RMC project, does that effectively kill the "Iron-ing" of Eagle? You'd have to think so, right?

Speaking of the view from the tollway, I'm sure I can't be the only one who misses seeing two of the three arms of Sky Whirl spinning around...right?

Also, I'm halfway surprised that the piece on WGN didn't highlight this thread/site - fairly decent shot/description of another (local) forum's page was shown when talking about the town meeting. http://video.wgntv.com?freewheel=91046&sitesection=wgn_leshockvalue&VID=25064690

^ Possibly. Iron Wolf was steel, this coaster is wood. They use the both station. This ride is using Iron's Wolf's location. Come to think of it, that would be a good name. I like it.

I think this coaster is going to be receiving a new station that's a bit narrower but longer. They only showed Wolf's station, queue, and footers on the map as a reference I believe. It does show a blue box that's thinner and longer on top of Wolf's former station so I think that's showing there's going to be a new one in the same spot.

I have big expectations for this rides capacity. I love 2wide trains but hope they are very very long. Long trains create more forces and more varity of forces based on seats. I hope it has near record length trains for capacity and ride quality. I love the hanging feeling in the front of a long train, forces in the back, and sight of a long train esp. In an inversion. Since this will clearly be the most popular ride in the park... and most likely only two train operation I expect some insane cue lines if it uses short trains.

2 trains, 24 riders per train. Nothing crazy.

^Those aren't entirely accurate. NTAG (due to blocking) can only theoretically reach a capacity of around 1300 (but it's Six Flags, so expect less), and Outlaw Run can reach 1000-1200. SFGAm is usually good about keeping rides at their highest capacity, so it shouldn't be a problem.

^Those aren't entirely accurate. NTAG (due to blocking) can only theoretically reach a capacity of around 1300 (but it's Six Flags, so expect less), and Outlaw Run can reach 1000-1200. SFGAm is usually good about keeping rides at their highest capacity, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Maybe I had the old Texas Giant capacity, and I couldn't find a confirmed capacity for Outlaw Run, I just found something that said 800-1000.

I may be in the minority here, but I am having serious trouble picturing an Immelmann on a wooden coaster.

I understand that the same could be said about barrel rolls a year ago, but it's just how I feel.

I may be in the minority here, but I am having serious trouble picturing an Immelmann on a wooden coaster.

I understand that the same could be said about barrel rolls a year ago, but it's just how I feel.

due to the height graph its not an immlemann but a dive loop. Immlemann would be going forward low, pulling up into a half loop and twisting to level at the top. This is if I read layout right a tall hill that at the top has a barrel roll that continues upside down again and then pulls down (up to riders) into a dive loop. Very easy to do high up in the air. Low speeds and low forces if you do it right. Watch full throttle dive into the tunnel. Very similar element

Well, Iv'e been looking, and I-RAT and Outlaw Run have a capacities of around only 900 per hour with two 24 person trains. NTAG however, has a capacity of 1600 with 3 trains of the same size. So unless there are three trains, expect a very low capacity.

Ride capacity actually has VERY little to do with the number of trains run on a ride. To put it into perspective, Tidal Wave managed a theoretical capacity of 1,300, and back in those days the theoretical ride capacities were actually achievable, which isn't generally the case today.

If you consider viper has about 1000 per hour... to only have this capacity with a ride more popular than bull would be unacceptable. Do you really expect it to be that low?

The ride isn't built. No one has any idea if it will be more or less popular than Bull. On top of that, it depends on how you define popularity - is popularity the number of people who ride a ride on a day, the amount of time that people are willing to wait to ride the ride, or something else entirely?

As for Six Flags and capacity, you just never know what will happen. I understand it's apples and oranges, but Deja Vu which was built after Raging Bull had a real world capacity of like 300 / hour, so is it possible that they build a ride with low capacity? Absolutely.

So am I.....

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't RMC say at some point (IAAPA?) that they wouldn't do any high-G inversions (ie any sort of loop)?

EDIT: Found it (starts at 22 minute mark)

HOWEVER, he doesn't specify whether that's Topper Track, Iron Horse, or neither that they will do high-G inversions with.

Edited by imagineerz

So am I.....

And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't RMC say at some point (IAAPA?) that they wouldn't do any high-G inversions (ie any sort of loop)?

EDIT: Found it (starts at 22 minute mark)

HOWEVER, he doesn't specify whether that's Topper Track, Iron Horse, or neither that they will do high-G inversions with.

It may look like a high-G inversion, but you have to remember that the speed you take the inversion at really determines what the forces are. My guess is, the ride is going to climb up a pretty good incline, slow down between the 20-30 mph range, then it is just going to twist like the 153 on Outlaw Run and dive under the structure.

^If that's true, we could be seeing a GG creation.

It's not going to be TGG. It's going to be a RMC topper-track and I would guess the ride is going to use Gerstlauer trains. Unfortunately, that probably means we're going to see seat-belts.

It's not going to be TGG. It's going to be a RMC topper-track and I would guess the ride is going to use Gerstlauer trains. Unfortunately, that probably means we're going to see seat-belts.

If it's all RMC like Outlaw Run, my guess would be the same style trains which are RMC trains not Gertslauer as IRat and NTaG. Doesn't exactly mean no seatbelts but my money would definitely be on the same trains and restraints as Outlaw Run.

^ Just because RMC builds the ride from scratch, doesn't mean that it will use RMC trains. Gerstlauer trains are proven and the fact that they opened back up on IRAT means that they passed the inspection stemming from the Texas Giant accident with no defects. The ride is going to use polyurethane wheels, which is what Gerstlauer trains use. Six Flags just had a horrible accident and they're going to probably go with the proven trains. Remember, Outlaw Run is the only coaster with RMC trains.

^ If I remember reading correctly, the Gerstlauer trains were designed by RMC, but built by Gerstlauer (please correct me if I'm wrong). Don't get me wrong, I bet RMC's trains are safe, but if I were in Six Flags shoes, I would go with the proven trains, given everything they're going through with Texas Giant. Do I really want them to go with Gerstlauer trains? No, because I don't want to see seat belts on a ride that doesn't need them.

^If that's true, we could be seeing a GG creation.

Right in between Hades and Voyage.

I'd love to see that, but I'd really be surprised if this were anything other than a Rocky Mountain project (absolutely fine by me). Short of seeing B&M dip their beak in the wooden coaster game, it's hard to see SFGAm messing this up- provided they go with one of Rocky Mountain/Intamin or (the long shot/pipe dream) Gravity Group.

I too am not a huge fan of the Wing Riders, but I certainly thought X-Flight is the best one in the US.

1. X-Flight

2. Wild Eagle (I do really like the first 1/2 of it, plus the view is amazing)

3. GateKeeper (I too had a lot of rattle in my ride, plus I could not breath at the end due to the restraints. I also found the layout a bit bland)

B&M and wood coasters don't be absurd! The only thing they've ever made with a wood coaster was Psyclones trains and those were basically oversized PTCS.

Short of seeing B&M dip their beak in the wooden coaster game was meant to help illustrate that whether the manufacturer ends up being Intamin, Rocky Mountain, or (somehow) Gravity Group, you wouldn't go wrong with either of them- nothing more.

Now that it's been touched upon, though, what is so absurd about a B&M wooden coaster? Surely, we've seen enough curiosities take place in the industry over the past 10 years or so that it shouldn't stop anyone's world from turning if they eventually gave it a shot- just like they'll eventually give launched coasters a shot. Remember how these coaster discussion boards were full of people who swore they (B&M) would never build taller than 230 feet (I'm pretty sure the number was 230)?