TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Ideas for a new IOA coaster?

I could definately see an Intiman pre fab woodie themed to a cartoon character in Toon Lagoon. If you watch El Toro enough, those long cars manuvering through those tight curves it looks extremely cartoonish IMO.

It could even tie in and maybe weave in and out of dudley do right's ripsaw falls. It could be called Wiplash Express, after Dudley's enemy Snidley Whiplash.

As we know pre fabs don't have to be insanely tall to give an awesome ride ( aka Balder ) It could be themed will cartoonish cliffs, mining buildings, TNT Shacks and other structures to dodge, jump and crash through during the course of the ride.

Just using the cable lift system gives the pre fabs awesome speed over their first drops and through the rest of the ride.

i like this a lot,

what wooden coaster uses a cable lift ? are you speaking of steel intamins now?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...
This thread kind of makes me sad because if/when IOA adds a new coaster, I imagine that it will have some stupid Harry Potter theme to add on for future phases. .

Quidich the ride!!! Oh god, please no...

Personally, I think that In general, “Theme” parks haven’t utilized coasters to their fullest potential, and the development of themed coasters should be a main focus for all theme parks. Hulk and DD were ground breaking in means of high thrill theme park attractions, however I feel as if they were only glimpses of the future possibilities for coasters with theme park quality, and the potential of Universal’s design team.

I think that in the development of the ride, the designers should first look at choosing and designing a coaster the way Cedar Point or SF GADV would, meaning looking for the most potential coaster wise (Speed, Airtime, Height, Pacing, ext…) , and worry about adding the themeing later. They should look at how the ride can offer the most intense experience possible, while working with the manufactures to fit their ideas about how to make the hardware work in a custom. I really love the way that IOA decided to call Giovanola to make the launch on Hulk after B&M refused, because it really shows the determination of the engineers to make the ride fit their visions and not let it take a toll from practicality. The engineers should really look at world renowned coasters like Expedition G-force and Blader, and study what makes them work as coasters in order to apply it to their designs, then work it into their themed vision.

As far as themeing goes, I think Univeral will find the audio on HRRR to be a big success, but I think they should also work into making a custom soundtrack that builds tension and takes the riders though moods like music has the possibility to do, while combining it with the pacing of the coaster for a true experience. Coming from a studio biased park, I really don’t think it would be that hard for Universal to arrange some movie composer to score the ride, if the budget allows for that, and if not I’m sure they could recruit an artist or group to put a unique spin on the ride music. I also think they should not stop at the music, but go further with actually putting individual television screens for the riders. Immersing the riders with movies and audio along with a great ride is, in my opinion, what studio parks should really be all about.

The launch on Hulk or the synchronization of Dueling Dragons show how the IOA engineers can make coasters into their visions, and I think in time Universal will have to make their engineers look into an attraction with the same profile. The problem is that this is Orlando, and parks there don’t have to build new rides every year or two to keep people coming back, like amusement parks do. People will come to Orlando no matter what just because it is a tourist destination; however I do think that after this whole “Harry Potter” spheal is over ,IOA will notice they need another spike in attendance from a big glamorous ride, like Universal got from HRRR, and they will focus allot of their budget into that. Problem is that I wouldn’t expect to see that until 2011 at least.

IOA has NO land available i think

People are always talking about how such-and-such park is out of room, and they're usually quickly proven wrong by the park itself.

IOA has a small empty spot behind Cat, with mostly-empty Studio soundstages beyond; a big empty spot between Ripsaw and River, with even more land across the road from it; Triceratops sitting empty; a huge amphitheater between Marvel and Toon that they've yet to find anything useful for; some room behind Doom and Hulk; and a big lake in the middle to build stuff out over.

At the rate they're expanding, they won't run out of room until 2080.

In regards to space for coaster/attraction expansion. Do they need the lake? When it comes right down to it, is the lake that critical to IOA? Look at an overhead map of the park, and then plop TDS's Mysterious Island in that exact same spot. The lake then becomes a circular river around the island. If done well, the faux mountain would serve as a backdrop to Harry Potter Land, Jurrasic Park, perhaps enclose part of the Hulk, useful as a platform for nightime shows. Each side could even be tweaked to reflect a themed view for each land.

Such as jungles for JP, the Rockies for Do Right, etc. Imo, not being able to see the other lands across the lake would add to the general immersiveness of each land.

I could definately see an Intiman pre fab woodie themed to a cartoon character in Toon Lagoon. If you watch El Toro enough, those long cars manuvering through those tight curves it looks extremely cartoonish IMO.

It could even tie in and maybe weave in and out of dudley do right's ripsaw falls. It could be called Wiplash Express, after Dudley's enemy Snidley Whiplash.

As we know pre fabs don't have to be insanely tall to give an awesome ride ( aka Balder ) It could be themed will cartoonish cliffs, mining buildings, TNT Shacks and other structures to dodge, jump and crash through during the course of the ride.

Just using the cable lift system gives the pre fabs awesome speed over their first drops and through the rest of the ride.

This would be a terrible fit in IOA. Just becuase toon lagoon is a section for water rides, and a Intimin woodie would ruin the theming, and would just stand out to much in that area. It would also be very noisey becuase it's close to hulk and having a woodie there to would be very annoying. I personally think a megalite in the marvel area would be good, so as a indoor spinning coaster in suess land themed to one of his books would be nice.

In regards to space for coaster/attraction expansion. Do they need the lake? When it comes right down to it, is the lake that critical to IOA? Look at an overhead map of the park, and then plop TDS's Mysterious Island in that exact same spot. The lake then becomes a circular river around the island. If done well, the faux mountain would serve as a backdrop to Harry Potter Land, Jurrasic Park, perhaps enclose part of the Hulk, useful as a platform for nightime shows. Each side could even be tweaked to reflect a themed view for each land.

Such as jungles for JP, the Rockies for Do Right, etc. Imo, not being able to see the other lands across the lake would add to the general immersiveness of each land.

Am I the only one who is in love with this guy's idea?

Of course, it sounds extremely expensive and probably wouldn't materialize until years after Harry Potter land is done.

Another idea could be IOA incorporating a fireworks/water show on the lake, similar to Illuminations at EPCOT and World of Color at DCA.

To stay on topic, I dunno if IOA rlly needs another roller coaster. If they were to put one in, I think an aquatrax in Toon Lagoon would fit nicely.