TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

MAGIC MOUNTAIN FOR FIRST TIMERS

I WILL BE AT MAGIC MTN ON JUNE 16 & 17, TUES & WED WITH MY DAUGHTERS 10 & 16 YEARS OLD. WE WILL BE DRIVING FROM SAN DIEGO ZOO TO VALENCIA ON THAT MONDAY EVENING. WOULD THE 405 BE THE BEST ROUTE THROUGH LA OR SHOULD I STAY ON I-5?

ANY TIPS OR SUGGESTIONS ON THE FLASH PASS SYSTEM? MY 10 YEAR OLD IS READY FOR EVERYTHING EXCEPT SUPERMAN AND X2.

WE LIVE IN KANSAS. WE RODE PROWLER AT WORLDS OF FUN LAST WEEKEND. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOW TERMINATOR COMPARES.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP. GARY

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YAY!!! ANOTHER PERSON FROM KANSAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

BTW, while Superman looks scary, it really isn't. I got off that ride thinking, "WTF? I was scared of that?" Basically the vertical part, you're looking up at the sky and you can't see how far off the ground you are (especially if you're trying to say hi to Superman up at the top).

I WILL BE AT MAGIC MTN ON JUNE 16 & 17, TUES & WED WITH MY DAUGHTERS 10 & 16 YEARS OLD. WE WILL BE DRIVING FROM SAN DIEGO ZOO TO VALENCIA ON THAT MONDAY EVENING. WOULD THE 405 BE THE BEST ROUTE THROUGH LA OR SHOULD I STAY ON I-5?

ANY TIPS OR SUGGESTIONS ON THE FLASH PASS SYSTEM? MY 10 YEAR OLD IS READY FOR EVERYTHING EXCEPT SUPERMAN AND X2.

WE LIVE IN KANSAS. WE RODE PROWLER AT WORLDS OF FUN LAST WEEKEND. CAN'T WAIT TO SEE HOW TERMINATOR COMPARES.

I've driven from Santa Ana to Valencia several times on the 405 and I don't think the 5 could be any better. I'd say just stay on the 405.

I LOVE CAPS LOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness though *clears throat*: I'm only a kid here so I know nothing about money or driving, but the Flash Pass is definitely worth it if you can shell out the decently large bucks for it. Superman is by far the least intense major coaster in the park. And I don't drive, but I can tell you that you will certainly run into traffic on the 405 (it's the nation's most congested freeway). I'm not quite sure about the I-5 though

Its usually best to stick to the 5, if you want to get creative with the freeways, take the 605 North to the 210 West, and take that all the way to where it ends, at the 5.

Do not use the 405 unless you love going "4 o 5 miles per hour."

Chris.

Hi Gary, you should read this before posting: themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21962. A SENTENCE IN ALL CAPS IS GENERALLY HARDER TO READ AND COMES OFF AS RUDE. Welcome to TPR!

STAY ON THE I-5! IT MAKES LIFE LESS COMPLICATED SINCE YOU ARE ALREADY ON IT COMING FROM SAN DIEGO. WHY SWITCH FREEWAYS WHEN YOU GET BACK ON THE SAME FREEWAY?!?!?!?!

Jimmy "I'M SHOUTING THIS AT YOU" Bo

Hey there, I'm not a regular at SFMM, but I might have some helpful tips (maybe not, I've only been twice).

I think if your son can do stuff like Goliath, Tatsu, and Viper, he'll do fine on Superman. If it's the 400+ height thing that throws him, then the ride only goes up like 300 feet and you'll be distracted by the Superman at the top!

Also, I think FlashPass is worth it only if there are really long lines for rides like Goliath or Riddler, because those take slightly longer to load. Ride Batman early, because once there's a queue, you're gonna be standing in a hot, smelly "sewer" for like half an hour. Riddler seems to be a popular one for everyone to barf on, so expect mild delays from that. (This is Magic Mountain service!)

It's a shame that your son can't do X2 - it's really very good. But he already seems quite daring for his age, riding stuff like Batman and Tatsu. Oh well.....

So, I hope this helps. If it's inaccurate, anyone can correct me and I'll edit my post so that I don't confuse you with wrong information!

^I think you mean daughter... I don't see anything about a son in the OPs post.

I'm honestly not sure what to say about the request for tips on fast pass... I don't think there is a tip to the Q-bot system except get what you can justify. A Gold Q-bot can make a HUGE difference in what you can ride in a day. I am no expert and haven't experienced MM's setup but on the East Coast trip last year we got on a ton of rides with the Q-bot.

Honestly I would say that you shouldn't force your children onto anything but Superman is really not scary at all. Also X2 really didn't seem bad to me but I was easily held in place by the restraints so it might not be as much fun for children if they fit loosely. Frankly I found Tatsu, Batman, and Scream to be the most forceful of the coasters and both Scream and Tatsu had uncomfortable moments for me.

Stay on I-5! It's a straight shot from San Diego to Valencia that way.

However, every time I have driven back to Valencia from San Diego, I've hit traffic right about the Encinitas area and then again right before the East LA Interchange. However, the 405 is not any better... heck, it's probably worse.

Enjoy your stay in Valencia!

Sincerely,

R.C.

Well no matter how you look at it, you are going to hit some traffic no matter what freeways you take, so as mentioned before, just take the 5 north all the way. And start your drive around 8 or 9am if possible so you will miss most of the morning commute and miss most of the lunch rush.

^I think you mean daughter... I don't see anything about a son in the OPs post.

I'm honestly not sure what to say about the request for tips on fast pass... I don't think there is a tip to the Q-bot system except get what you can justify. A Gold Q-bot can make a HUGE difference in what you can ride in a day. I am no expert and haven't experienced MM's setup but on the East Coast trip last year we got on a ton of rides with the Q-bot.

Honestly I would say that you shouldn't force your children onto anything but Superman is really not scary at all. Also X2 really didn't seem bad to me but I was easily held in place by the restraints so it might not be as much fun for children if they fit loosely. Frankly I found Tatsu, Batman, and Scream to be the most forceful of the coasters and both Scream and Tatsu had uncomfortable moments for me.

Oops...yeah....sorry....

No matter what time of day you do the drive, I have great advice.

The 5 IS the best way if you are going all the way through from San Diego to Valencia.

I have lived in LA my whole life, and I have learned that there is one little tiny detour you should ALWAYS TAKE!!!! Even at 2 AM!!!

Take the 5 North

to the 710 North

to the 10 West

to the 5 North

It sounds complicated, but it happens within about 10 minutes. BELIEVE ME, it is worth it!!!!

There is another detour can also save you a ton of time, particularly in the PM rush hour. It comes shortly after the 710/10 detuour. This should be used between 4pm and 8pm by ALL means:

From the 5 North:

Just north of downtown, take the 2 North

to the 210 East

to the 5 north (the truck route can save time if there is traffic)

...this route is about 10 miles longer but can save LOADS of time during the PM rush hour.

This CAN save you up to an hour. Detour two can save you another hour.

As a local, this is the route I would DEFINITELY take if I was going from Orange County to Valencia. Absolutely no doubt.

Chris.

No matter what time of day you do the drive, I have great advice.

The 5 IS the best way if you are going all the way through from San Diego to Valencia.

I have lived in LA my whole life, and I have learned that there is one little tiny detour you should ALWAYS TAKE!!!! Even at 2 AM!!!

Take the 5 North

to the 710 North

to the 10 West

to the 5 North

It sounds complicated, but it happens within about 10 minutes. BELIEVE ME, it is worth it!!!!

There is another detour can also save you a ton of time, particularly in the PM rush hour. It comes shortly after the 710/10 detuour. This should be used between 4pm and 8pm by ALL means:

From the 5 North:

Just north of downtown, take the 2 North

to the 210 East

to the 5 north (the truck route can save time if there is traffic)

...this route is about 10 miles longer but can save LOADS of time during the PM rush hour.

This CAN save you up to an hour. Detour two can save you another hour.

As a local, this is the route I would DEFINITELY take if I was going from Orange County to Valencia. Absolutely no doubt.

Chris.

i recommend this also, check your cell phone if you have google maps(shows traffic) i drive as a messenger for a living

where the 5 meet the 60 it drops from 3 lanes to 2 and the 60 merges into those 2 lanes shortly after, you can amagine how this affects traffic especially high volumes of it. once you pass the 10 fwy your drive will be flying after

me personally i would leave super early go straight there using the 5 bypass all the traffic (la traffic starts to form after about 6:30-7am weekdays) take a nap in the pre parking lot while you wait for parking to open usually 9am and the park opens an hour and a half after that. but thats just me i don't care where i sleep

Allow me to highjack this topic...

1) I'm going on July 20 and plan on staying till the park closes. Here in belgium stuff closes at around 7 PM and it's a walkthrough to almost every ride about 2 hours before closure.

Will that be the same on July 20, a Monday?

If yes, then I shouldn't buy a flash pass I guess.

2) I believe it's not allowed to take a backpack WITH food and drinks inside the park... But do they actually check the backpack?

3) If we want to enter the park with the first batch of people, at what time do we have to be there if the park opens at 10.30

4) And a silly question: at what time does it get dark in July?

I just took the 5 N all the way to SFMM last Thursday in the afternoon. Traffic added an hour and a half to our trip. Since you are coming from the San Diego Zoo I have a route that adds more miles, but has a much better chance of avoiding traffic. No matter what direction you choose to take, you will face some traffic.

From the San Diego Zoo

Take the 163 N - Later turns into the 15 N

Follow the 15 N to the 60 W

Take the 60 W to the 71 W (It might be the 71 N, whatever it is don't go East or South)

71 W will turn into the 57 N

Take 57 N to the 210 W

Take the 210 W to the 5 N

This route add some miles to your trip but I think it will have the least traffic. the main route I suggest to get to the 5 is the 15N and 210W. There are many ways to get from the 15 N to the 210 W, I would check traffic (On a phone, or some GPS device) to determine which route works best at that time.

As a local Los Angelino who can see the 405 from his office I'll offer this advice: avoid the 405!

On my commute to work I could take the 405 but instead I cut through the mountains on a 2-lane road and take Pacific Coast Highway through Santa Monica to the west side of Los Angeles. It's twice the miles as the 405 but half the drive time.

I hate the 405!

I would stay on the 405 strictly because they have a carpool lane all the way up to Sylmar, save for the area between LAX and the 101.

As for changing freeways, it seems easy enough to those of us who have lived and driven on the SoCal freeways for years, but as an out-of-towner person, even though you are going to have traffic, it's best to not get lost. Period.

As for the 5, the stretch betwen the 91 and the Valley is TERRIBLE. No car-pool lane and down to 3, sometimes 2 lanes.

I still say the 405, use the carpool lane to your advantage.

You could "concievably" use Calicoasters route, but I'd suggest taking the 15 all the way to the 210 and then the 210 basically turns into the 5. It's the path of least confusion if not going the 405 or 5 route.

2) I believe it's not allowed to take a backpack WITH food and drinks inside the park... But do they actually check the backpack?

In my experience, yes, every Six Flags park I've been to requires a check of all backpacks before entering. How thoroughly they do it varies, but I definitely wouldn't count on being able to smuggle in food and drinks. On the other hand, I regularly carry protein bar snacks in my pockets, and no one has ever noticed.

use what ever route you are comfortable with you can save gas, save time or save the headache, but now you have your choice to make, all these are really good sugestion, as a driver covering the area la to the arizona and nevada borders and san diego to bakersfield i use them all.

my advice is, your travel time to the 5/405 will be 1.25-1.5 hrs. what time are you leaving? do your research! look at traffic sites, view the fwys on various routes you might take, estimate what times you might hit the areas where traffic is the heaviest, and plan acording to that. so you can pass through with minimal traffic

i am one of the few that doesent mind being contacted directly i can view the traffic info in my phone on the fly, feel free to contact me

the area between the 91 all the way to the 10 along the 5 fwy is horible during rush hour times,

alt option leave the night before get a (hotel, motel, holiday inn) room in the area, and arrive refreshed and without hitting the traffic

YAY!!! ANOTHER PERSON FROM KANSAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111

BTW, while Superman looks scary, it really isn't. I got off that ride thinking, "WTF? I was scared of that?" Basically the vertical part, you're looking up at the sky and you can't see how far off the ground you are (especially if you're trying to say hi to Superman up at the top).

\

I agreed with him. Superman is no as scary as it looksI mean is actually no a scary ride. The launch is great.

I think Tatsu pretzel look might be intense too but is a great rid. The best to me.

Have a ncie day there.Must ride Tatsu, X2, Riddler's Revenge and Goliath.

• 2 weeks later...

1) I'm going on July 20 and plan on staying till the park closes. Here in belgium stuff closes at around 7 PM and it's a walkthrough to almost every ride about 2 hours before closure.

July 20 is a weekday, but you have to keep in mind that it is the summer [school is out] and Six Flags primarily appeals to youth, young adults, etc. In other words, there will be more people there than if it was a school day. I don't know how big it gets (crowded wise), I haven't been there since like 2005, but I would expect it to get a decent crowd as it picks up into the day. You should enjoy the first couple of hours with little crowd, people, lines if you head to the opposite end of the park (toward Goliath, etc) rather than toward X2 right when you enter the park.

I'm not sure if they have tightened up the security procedures, but they don't allow you to walk in (that is you have to be screened (bombs, knifes, you know, etc). However, I doubt they would confiscate or not allow you to enter the park if you had a water bottle...it's really hot here!!! and some food? I don't bring food, but I make sure I bring a water bottle....and I just leave the park early (and walk to wendy's that is adjacent to the park, go to the gas station (AMPM) and then return to the park and ride for a several more ours).

There's no reason that they should tell you not to bring water. That would be ridiculous just considering our climate. I've nearly got dehydrated here in the park. lmao.

3) If we want to enter the park with the first batch of people, at what time do we have to be there if the park opens at 10.30

Well @ 10:30, try 9:50, 10 solid. Many of these people like to run to X(x2) but if you get there early you'll have a solid place in line and should get to ride whatever your wish ride (whatever ride you want to ride first) without any line....several times and more!

I live about an hour away from Six Flags MM and I'd say around 7:30-8 PM. Hhahaha I'm basing this on just today, actually haha. But I'd say that's accurate.

Enjoy your trip.

I say avoid the 405 like the plague unless it's after 8pm and before 8am!

Everybody's right. Superman looks intimidating, but it's not AT ALL. Many of the other rides in the park are much more intense. Superman is a quick launch and after that, it's all cake. Even the curve up the spire isn't intense.

I recommend shelling out for an all-day locker, too. You get to re-enter as many times as you need and it'll save you money from having to put things in a locker at ALMOST EVERY RIDE now!

If you aren't there within an hour of park opening, you WILL WAIT probably at least an hour (more likely closer to 2) for X2 until the crowd starts to die down toward end of day. I was just there yesterday (Wed) and the line for X2 was 2+ hours when we got there around 11am, but when we went back around 5pm (one hour before close), it was only about 40 mins. I've noticed this pattern often on week days. X2, Tatsu, Goliath & Terminator will be your longest lines hands down. Everything else has been a walk on or 10-min wait on weekdays as of late.

I hope your family has fun at the park!

July 20 is a weekday, but you have to keep in mind that it is the summer [school is out] and Six Flags primarily appeals to youth, young adults, etc. In other words, there will be more people there than if it was a school day. I don't know how big it gets (crowded wise), I haven't been there since like 2005, but I would expect it to get a decent crowd as it picks up into the day. You should enjoy the first couple of hours with little crowd, people, lines if you head to the opposite end of the park (toward Goliath, etc) rather than toward X2 right when you enter the park.

I'm not sure if they have tightened up the security procedures, but they don't allow you to walk in (that is you have to be screened (bombs, knifes, you know, etc). However, I doubt they would confiscate or not allow you to enter the park if you had a water bottle...it's really hot here!!! and some food? I don't bring food, but I make sure I bring a water bottle....and I just leave the park early (and walk to wendy's that is adjacent to the park, go to the gas station (AMPM) and then return to the park and ride for a several more ours).

There's no reason that they should tell you not to bring water. That would be ridiculous just considering our climate. I've nearly got dehydrated here in the park. lmao.

Well @ 10:30, try 9:50, 10 solid. Many of these people like to run to X(x2) but if you get there early you'll have a solid place in line and should get to ride whatever your wish ride (whatever ride you want to ride first) without any line....several times and more!

I live about an hour away from Six Flags MM and I'd say around 7:30-8 PM. Hhahaha I'm basing this on just today, actually haha. But I'd say that's accurate.

Enjoy your trip.

Thanks!

We're staying in the Best Western, so I guess we'll be picking up some water in advance, and leave the park to eat, cause prices are seriously rediculous inside the park!