TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Toddler killed in accident at London fairground

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Why should there be fences?

There haven't been fences at this particular fair for at least the 10 years it's been running and there was never an incident.

Why the rush for fences? How about some personal responsibility!?!?!?

I'm sick of people always telling companies how they should run stuff, how they need to install all of this idiot proof crap...how about just don't let idiots in? Darwin proved it best, natural selection...perhaps this was the toddler of that like 13 year old British father!?!?

OMG, LOL!

I just had to say.

Even if the parents' momentary lack of attention toward the child was likely the primary cause of this incident, losing a child is an incomprehensible price to pay. I feel for anyone that was a part of this terrible tragedy.

I heard about this incident in the Evening Standard the day after it happened. It's such a shame that this has happened as there hasn't been an incident like this in Britain for a decade now.

Having read through the past posts, I agree with several points of view.

Yes the parents should have been watching the child;

Yes the fences were clearly not child-proof (but then again, the parents should've been paying attention)

At the end of the day, this was an accident and lessons will have t be learned!

My sympathy not only goes out to the child's parents but also the ride operator who tried to stop the coaster.

PS - SharkTums - the 13 year lod father you reffered to: fyi, a dna test around one or two months ago proved he was not the father.

I have to agree with Robb on this, it looks like standard county fair fencing(at least compared to the orange county fair) and a lot of times blame would be given to the ride op, but not in this scenario. Although, the stupidest part of the entire article was that the parents were being restrained, and while I am sure everyone in this scenario would run toward their child, but still, bad parenting leads to this.

I feel sorry for the loss the parents feel, but do not feel sorry for them per se. It sucks for the kid, but thats what happens when you have parents that ignore you. The worst part is that the parents are going to be seen as victims, just like all the people who mourned the loss of the boy decapitated by Batman.

Hate to chime in with exact points that have already been made, but this issue cannot be blamed on the fair. Parents should never leave their child unattended!

I have a child that is almost 2 and one that is 8. Whenever we go anywhere, I watch my 2 year old like a hawk. My 8 year old is just as -if not more so- curious as my 2 year old. I assign him the 'big brother responsibility' of watching her.. I find that this little micromanaging job makes him feel important enough to where he doesn't find it necessary to wander off, and it makes it so easy for me to keep an eye on both of them simultaneously.

Think about all the places you go on a daily basis that are WAY WORSE than this fair.. Think Home Depot. Kids can wander underneath isles, grab nails, climb those huge stairs, can literally stand next to a giant saw meant to cut huge peices of wood, and the forklifts driving everywhere!!! I go in there all the time and never once feel like its their responsibility to child proof anything. Its my job to make sure my kids know not to touch anything.. I keep my 2 year old in the cart and if I do let her down to walk with me, she has to hold my hand at all times or back in the cart she goes!

Now, about the bounce house.. My oldest child of course has been in several of them over the years. NOT ONCE have I ever let him enter a bounce house without me there watching him. When he goes in, a checklist of worries go through my mind, and I watch him so that if god forbid something happens, I am there to do what I can. It just seems like a basic parenting instinct to protect them, no matter how fanatical you seem about it.

So yes, maybe the fair could have had a better fence, but they are not at fault because they did have one, one that would have slowed a toddler down enough so that even a moderately attentive parent could have noticed their child was potentially in danger.

I am sorry for their loss and losing a child is the most severe punishment they or anyone with children could ever be given. This is one of life's most painful and tragic lessons, and its meant to teach the rest of us as well.

TOTALLY agree with Robb and Elissa.

Even if you go back to my first post on this subject:

Plus, I know kids are quick, but seriously, a kid can't get under a fence in and (according to the article) to the back of the coaster 2 seconds. You just have to ask what the parents were doing that was more important than watching their kid.

Why is everybody being so judgmental? We simply can't make any conclusions about who's responsible until all the details are known. Doing so would be unfair and foolish.

What I want to know is how the toddler got into the ride area to begin with. That fence doesn't look like a toddler could squeeze under it or easily climb over it.

^ As parents we know what kids are capable of, and that they need CONSTANT supervision. Period.

That's why these people who have 8, 10, 16 kids just AMAZE me. There is no way in hell you can watch each of those kids as much as they need to be watched. Not to even mention the amount of quality time each kid deserves. But that's another subject for another thread.

As a parent, I can look at this scenario and say "the parent wasn't being as attentive as they SHOULD have been". PERIOD.

Does that mean that the parents grief isn't unbearable, no. Does it mean this isn't a tragedy, no. But it also doesn't mean the parents should sit there saying "There should have been a fence, a higher fence, etc".

If that's being judgemental, then so be it.

All I'm saying is that sometimes even the best of parents can have a bad moment, and one bad moment is all it takes. Until we know more about the parents of this child, we cannot judge them. One mistake every so often does not make you an idiot or mean you're a failure, it simply means you're human.

^ True,

But it's certainly not the parks fault for not having a fence especially considering nothing like this has happened at this fair before.

I know we haven't heard form the parents in this but they need to just say "It was our fault, it wasn't the parks fault" or something.

Personal responsibility. There are no fences between the sidewalk and the street either. And cars aren't even on a track.

Pools, streets, guns and now, roller coasters, are just rotating variables in the "crappy things that happen when you take your eyes off your kid" situation.

The argument is pretty much over when you see cars going 50 mph on a street that is 5 feet from a sidewalk. Watch. Your. Kids.

!

One last point on this subject:

It's VERY important to teach kids from a young age not to run off, play in traffic, etc.

We were always the "hold my hand" parents and even now that my son is 11, when we are in a parking lot, or crossing a street, or even sometimes just walking through a park he'll grab my hand. It's like instinct.

^ True,

But it's certainly not the parks fault for not having a fence especially considering nothing like this has happened at this fair before.

I know we haven't heard form the parents in this but they need to just say "It was our fault, it wasn't the parks fault" or something.

That's basically what I've been saying! I guess I just misunderstood you.

[/argument]

So yes, maybe the fair could have had a better fence, but they are not at fault because they did have one, one that would have slowed a toddler down enough so that even a moderately attentive parent could have noticed their child was potentially in danger.

Exactly.

Why is everybody being so judgmental? We simply can't make any conclusions about who's responsible until all the details are known. Doing so would be unfair and foolish.

So you're calling everyone in this thread foolish?

I think the fact that your 17 and obviously NOT a parent makes you think this way. The rest of us, who are not 17 and ARE parents have a little more insight into the behavior patterns of children and other parents than you are giving us credit for.

All I'm saying is that sometimes even the best of parents can have a bad moment, and one bad moment is all it takes.

REALLY? So you're saying that the death of this child is completely acceptable because "even the best of parents can have a bad moment."

"Ooops! My child died! Look at that, huh? Chalk that one up to being my bad moment! Wow...he was only two. Guess I used up that coupon early, didn't I! Hey you wanna go grab a beer?"

When I read your post, that is what you're communicating to me.

Again, you're 17 and can't possibly understand what it's like to have a 2 year old child and the responsibilities that go with it. Yet you're willing to argue with those that do like you're an expert on the subject.

--Robb "Do you see my point?" Alvey

I've had to baby sit my 6 year old cousin Adriana and I can't even imagine how hard it would be to babysit a 2 year old.

Obviously the parents fault in my opinion. If I ever left Adriana alone she would wander off, which thank god I have never left her alone. I don't understand why the child was left unattended. The last time I checked there is one entrance and exit to a bouncy house. and how could the parents not see there kid?

I hope this dosen't feel too mean but I really feel bad for the child who died more than anyone else. The parents will be punished enough knowing that there carelessness caused the death of there own child.

It's VERY important to teach kids from a young age not to run off, play in traffic, etc.

Quoted for truth.

I remember having to bring a child back to his mom when he was climbing a store display and almost brought it down on him. What was the mom doing on the opposite end of the aisle? On her cell phone running her mouth! Some people just can't concentrate with that phone pressed against their head! Heck some mother almost ran her baby carriage into a pole (then traffic) because she was too busy talking on the phone! Anyway, I had some cute words for her. But it was obvious that she never taught her child not to leave her side.

I remember running off to look at toys at a store when I was young... ONCE. Didn't know my mom could get so ghetto. But after that I made sure I was in her line of sight and I asked her if I could go to look at toys instead of just running off. Times weren't like they are now... as crazy as people are, you'd better be watching your child, know where they are or give them specific instructions of where to be when they are done or where to meet you and not to stray.

Terry

We were always the "hold my hand" parents and even now that my son is 11, when we are in a parking lot, or crossing a street, or even sometimes just walking through a park he'll grab my hand. It's like instinct.

That's what it's all about - the consistency early on and the building of a habit.

I am so used to putting on my friggin' seat belt that I put the damn thing on even when I re-park my car 10 feet away.

My parents used to tell us that the car didn't work unless all the belts were in. Being a grown man, I still sub-consciously think that to be true.

I hope this dosen't feel too mean but I really feel bad for the child who died more than anyone else. The parents will be punished enough knowing that there carelessness caused the death of there own child.

It's not "too mean" to feel bad for the child. Everyone should feel bad for the child's death because when a child dies, it often makes the situation much worse. Hopefully, the parents will receive the harsher punishment for not properly keeping an eye on their child and that they will not sue the fairground for something they should've done.

^ Could fall under:

Criminally negligent manslaughter

Criminally negligent manslaughter is variously referred to as criminally negligent homicide in the United States, gross negligence manslaughter in England and Wales or culpable homicide in Scotland.

It occurs where death results from serious negligence, or, in some jurisdictions, serious recklessness. A high degree of negligence is required to warrant criminal liability. A related concept is that of willful blindness, which is where a defendant intentionally puts himself in a position where he will be unaware of facts which would render him liable.

Criminally negligent manslaughter occurs where there is an omission to act when there is a duty to do so, or a failure to perform a duty owed, which leads to a death. The existence of the duty is essential as the law does not impose criminal liability for a failure to act, unless a specific duty is owed to the victim. It is most common in the case of professionals who are grossly negligent in the course of their employment. An example is where a doctor fails to notice a patient's oxygen supply has disconnected and the patient dies

A similar scenario happened in my city in '95 involving a school bus and its driver, and a young child. The young child (and others) were exiting the bus and proceed to cross the bus. The driver checked to make sure everything was clear and the children were out of the bus's way.

One child wasn't so lucky. The driver didn't see the child and he ran over the child and dragged the child 20 ft killing the young child. Now remember that "crossing gates" (the yellow things on the front bumper of the bus) were not required to be on the bus. The driver and the victim's grandmother were taken to the hospital because of emotional trauma. This was clearly an accident.

That same driver still drives a school bus for my parish (county/district for you non Louisiana people). If he was not arrested and put in jail for running over a 5 year old child why should the parents of the young child killed by the coaster be punished? The school bus driver wasn't punished?

-Tatum "Robb, I don't want to sound like a bitch but, I highly disagree with you (so do others)."