TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Coaster Expedition DVD Owners - TAKE THIS POLL!!!

When you watch a TPR Coaster Expedition DVD, which best describes you...  

136 members have voted

1. 1. When you watch a TPR Coaster Expedition DVD, which best describes you...

• I watch the "Footage" disc as much as I watch the "Expedition" Disc.
    • I watch the "Footage" disc at least once.
    • I rarely (and sometimes don't) watch the "Footage" disc.

I would, as long as you can see what is going on in the ride and have a detailed video of the queue lines and pre shows.

To be honest, I'm not sure we could provide that. The reason being is that for most dark rides, if we included a "walkthrough' of a queue, a pre-show, and the actual ride, you're talking about 10 to 15 minutes of footage per ride. That means we'd only be able to pack 4 to 6 of them on one disc and and the most we would do a 2-disc set.

I may be wrong, but I think most people would rather have more content packed on two discs instead of just 8 to 12 rides.

I figure if I do just a complete ride through, a shot of the outside, a shot of the sign, a shot of the ride vehicles, I could probably back more like 20 - 25 dark rides on a two disc set.

--Robb "Do people really WANT a walkthrough of each queue???" Alvey

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I watch the second disc just as much as the first disc if not more than the first disc, but I also only own coaster expeditions 1, 3 and 4. My opinion is that it's important to keep putting coaster footage on the second disc's because there's a chance for more coaster's to be showcased whether its on the expedition's or if it's on the Raw dvd's. Unless of course the same ride's are going to be on the second disc's of the expeditions that are on the Raw dvd's. I hope you find my input helpful.

We enjoy the footage videos best. While I like to see the park atmosphere and other rides, we like our own memories and not someone else. My kids and I love to look at all the different coasters we have ridden and the new ones we are planning on riding. It's especially good when we only had time to ride a coaster once and can't remember the exact layout or setting or no plans to ever visit again. (example LaRonde)

--Robb "Do people really WANT a walkthrough of each queue???" Alvey

well, that all depends… if the queue really has anything worthy of a “walkthrough”, especially story elements, special effects, etc, then, sure, i'd love to see it! but, if it's just a queue (even a very pretty and well themed queue!), then, no, probably not…

I really don't care for the music, I guess it's a generational thing, so I'd like to see future DVD's offered as "regular" or "in the raw" versions. I always watch both DVD's multiple times but with the sound turned down.

While we wouldn't ever offer the "Coaster Expedition" discs without music, we will continue to do more "RAW" discs.

A couple of things you have to remember, as an editor, I have to create something that *I* like, otherwise I feel the end product would suffer. So for the music videos, we choose music that we prefer and styles that we like.

If the music isn't your taste, that is understandable, but it's also part of our product. We understand not everyone is going to like it, and that may even mean a few less DVD sales, but I'd rather have a product that I personally am satisified with and want to watch, than trying to please everyone, because I think I know that's nearly impossible.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when we go out and shoot video in a park, it's normally just a couple of people with small handheld cameras capturing that days expience. We aren't going out with lots of equipment, a film crew or a sound crew. So the music helps hide what is usually pretty BAD raw audio.

I also feel the music helps keep the "flow" of the segment moving and without it, the segment could be quite boring.

Here's an example...below are two version of our Fuji-Q segment. One with the music and one without any music or audio editing at all.

Personally, it pains me to even post the one without the music but just to give everyone an example of what it would be like.

I think it's horrible and I couldn't even get through half of it, but is this seriously what people want???? If people would rather have this, hey, it's a LOT less effort for me to put together!

Fuji-Q WITH music:

[coastertube]http://www.themeparkreview.com/coastertube/play.php?vid=fuji_q_highalnd2008_3yxq[/coastertube]

fujiq_nomusic.wmv

This is what a Coaster Expedition segment "RAW" would sound like...

Personally, I love the music. The expedition discs are my favorites because of the music and all the antics. This is why I watch them more. I do like the raw discs because sometime I just want to see the coaster footage, but I like the POV footage on the expedition discs because of the music.

Having been a coaster expedition owner from the EARLY days, I have always loved the music. Keep the3 music on the expedition DVDs and no music on the RAW. Oh and I have secretly dremt of a dark ride dvd. Yes please. Dark rides and water rides are my top favs in amusement parks.

^On that same note, I've always thought the waterpark footage that has been shown in past years was unique. Any chance we'll see additional waterpark coverage in expeditions to come?

I think a DVD covering the less conventional aspects of a park like their dark rides, water rides and waterparks would certainly be interesting. If anything, it would be unique and entertaining in a way only TPR can make it to be.

Well, I'm ok both ways. I like the music for the CE DVD's, but you shouldn't just take the music out for RAW, rather lengthen or shorten segments so that they go in good. For example, a few segments were good with or without the music, but a few segments were too short (namely ones showing banners or random ride moments, like Elissa on the Thomas ride, a few of the Dodonpa launch shots, and the guys with the funny expressions).

Well, I'm ok both ways. I like the music for the CE DVD's, but you shouldn't just take the music out for RAW, rather lengthen or shorten segments so that they go in good. For example, a few segments were good with or without the music, but a few segments were too short (namely ones showing banners or random ride moments, like Elissa on the Thomas ride, a few of the Dodonpa launch shots, and the guys with the funny expressions).

LOL! Do you honestly think I don't already know this???

Who here would be interested in a "Dark Rides of the World" DVD?

--Robb

I would be all over that..... big time.....

I'm a Dark ride junkie - even if you don't mass produce let me know the price for a "CUSTOM" disk

Old man from Missouri

Kevin

^On that same note, I've always thought the waterpark footage that has been shown in past years was unique. Any chance we'll see additional waterpark coverage in expeditions to come?

I think a DVD covering the less conventional aspects of a park like their dark rides, water rides and waterparks would certainly be interesting. If anything, it would be unique and entertaining in a way only TPR can make it to be.

Yes yes - second to all of this!

I get these for my son and he only watches the footage discs. (why wasn't this one of your choices?)

Because I wasn't really interested in people who JUST watch the footage discs.

The information you've given me though is great!

--Robb

Yup music is definately the best for the Coaster Expeditions series. I love watching Coaster Expeditions videos for the music and all the fun, hilarious commentary. I personally love the music choices, they really fit the segments very well.

I still need to complete the collection, maybe I'll go buy those right now, hehe.

I just sat and watched the no music version video of Fuji Q and my brain hurts. The Coaster Expedition videos definitely need music to them.

I personally am not a fan of the Roller Coasters In The Raw stuff, i'm much more into the Expedition videos but I can see that something like the Raw series could be developed into much more such as:

-Dark Rides

-Kiddie Credits

-Jeff Johnson Credits

-Flat Rides

-Water Rides

I would say keep the Coaster Expedition series the same as it is, then develop on the Raw series as it seems to be very popular.