TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Conneaut Lake Park (CLP) Discussion Thread

Hey ken, Can you find out if they sent out tokens yet? I still haven't got mine. and it does suck the park isn't opening and two years in a row, I don't see much hope, but I hope I am wrong.

Well I am not involved at the park at this time. If you don't get them soon I don't think you will get them becuase everyone is layed off here.

And the park has not been closed two years in a row. The only other time the park failed to open was in 1995. And that proved disasterous for the community.

To be given "closure" news for the park which you love working at is the worst thing to happen to someone, esp for the Ops like "Ken".

I hope they can all find employment quickly

My dream job would be to operate a "woodie" coaster with a manual brake, but as I live in the UK, that is not possible. To see the joy and happiness of the coaster riders when they return to the station would be a great feeling.

----------------------------------------------------

I have never been to this park and experienced the wonders of the "Blue Streak", I’ve heard it can sometimes spark, I may never will if a buyer is not found soon.

The Classic Rides like the "Tumble Bug / Turtle" (how many are left), Devil's Den and "Blue Streak", should be saved and moved to another park, I hope this happens in the near future.

I hope the "Blue Streak" does not become like the "Comet" at Lincoln Park, left for years to rot till it collapses. It does not deserve a painful slow death.

This would be a terrible loss to the local's and the coaster lovers if this lovely old lady of 1938 met a steel ball.

I hope someone can come forward and buy the park, put it back to it's former glory and send the NAD trains along their course of the "Blue Streak".

Come on you very highly paid people, shell out a few million dollars and save this lovely coaster which needs some TLC and to hear people scream down the 1st drop into the woods below.

Very Sad.

Can't say I'm disappointed or surprised by this. We thought it was somewhat of a hole when we visited a couple of years ago... it was dead [on a weekend in August], there were very few employees there - and we had to search and wait for almost 20 minutes just to find someone to sell us ride tickets! Blue Streak was enjoyable enough but only for the novelty value, not because it was a particularly thrilling coaster.

And to anyone saying that some "rich guy" needs to come and buy it and sink millions into refurbishing - why? It would be a stupid business move. Why waste millions of dollars on a park that is already so in debt and losing so much money? It's a dumb thing to do!

I do hope someone will find a way to save Blue Streak and perhaps move it to a new location, but I'm not holding out too much hope.

^Thanks for being the first person in this thread with that opinion...I didn't want to be the first! I didn't think Conneaut was that great when I was there two years ago, so I'm not surprised by the closure either. The Blue Streak was nice, and I'd love to see the park survive if only for the sake of saving it, but if it gets torn down, it's not *that* big of a loss.

The way I see it is like watching a loved one die...sometimes when they are so far gone, it's better to let them die with what little dignity they have left. This isn't a situation of a healthy, thriving park suddenly being shut down. This park has been on it's last legs for many, many years now, and while everyone might not like it, I'd rather see it die with dignity than sit there and rot.

-Julie

Blue Streak, while not a complete coaster, is the only woodie I was terrified of riding with my hands in the air.

I had similar experiences to others on my one visit to CLP, there were just hardly any guests. CLP had a car show down by the lake and there were more people looking at the classics than at the rides.

^^ While his post might be the first in this thread, it definitely wasn't the first time it was said on these forums. I think even Robb himself said that this park would be a money pit if someone would buy it (2 million in debt alone, if I recall) and it wouldn't make sense for an existing park like Kennywood to buy it because they would only create competition for themselves.

Blue Streak, while not a complete coaster, is the only woodie I was terrified of riding with my hands in the air.

I had similar experiences to others on my one visit to CLP, there were just hardly any guests. CLP had a car show down by the lake and there were more people looking at the classics than at the rides.

I was there when the car show was going on But I must disagree, thats the most packed I've seen the park, and from what I saw, people were paying attention to both the cars and the rides. There was actually a true line for Blue Streak for once.

Greg ain't giving up with a fight.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Published May 22, 2007 09:08 pm - Greg Sutterlin of Conneaut Lake wasn’t happy with the news Tuesday that Conneaut Lake Park will remain closed.

Sutterlin launches 'one-day campaign' to reopen park

By Jane Smith

5/23/07 —

CONNEAUT LAKE — Greg Sutterlin of Conneaut Lake wasn’t happy with the news Tuesday that Conneaut Lake Park will remain closed.

He is an avid park fan and has started a “one-day campaign” to raise $100,000 to get the park open again.

He and a fellow Conneaut Lake-area resident have both put up $5,000 each and now are challenging other residents to do the same.

“I hope there are other people who would give a pure donation and help provide funds to open the park,” he said.

Sutterlin is the man who previously attempted to purchase 3.3 acres of land at the park for $1.9 million to provide money for it to open.

He said if the campaign isn’t successful, checks would be returned uncashed.

“I also am challenging our state legislators and county commissioners to match the money we raise,” said Sutterlin, citing the economic benefits of the park to Crawford County.

He agrees the park won’t be able to open this weekend, but is hopeful enough money can be raised to open it later this summer.

George Deshner, director of operations at the park, has agreed to accept the money. Anyone wishing to join the campaign may contact him at 382-5115.

However, he said the park will need $300,000 to open by July 4.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well thats 1,000 tokens each. I would donate if I had that much. I am curious to see if the local pub owner (who seemsto care about the park but spreads bad rumors about the park) will donate.

^How would that create competition for themselves? I mean, if people went to CLP instead of kennywood, no big loss. They would get the money back.

Please elaborate because I'm pretty sure that Kennywood wants to have their guests go to their park in Pittsburgh. Kennywood's advertising reaches pretty far btw... look for the signs in Ohio.

Why don't they let him buy the park? It would be great for the economy..

Well the park is owned by the court and that would be avery difficult move. But yes I agree they should let him buy it. He cares forthe park and would never tear it down to put up condos. He also Bought the new haunted house that was supposed to be operating this season. And he tried to buy the land.

Drivers still set to cruise into park

By Jane Smith

5/26/07 —

CONNEAUT LAKE PARK — Car cruising will return to Conneaut Lake Park today and possibly Sunday despite the fact the park was officially closed Tuesday.

And, if all goes well, the park’s Beach Club restaurant and bar may open next weekend.

George Deshner, director of operations at the park, said Friday that several groups of car owners — from Ohio, from Pittsburgh, and a local organization — requested permission to come and park their cars on the lawn for a car show and cruise. He agreed.

Hours will be noon to 9 p.m. today. “We will play it by ear for Sunday,” he said, referring to the ever-changing schedule. However, he expects it to be the same as today — noon to 9 p.m.

While people will be able to look at the cars, there will be nothing else available.

There will be no parking fee nor admission fee, but donation jars will be available for people who want to help get the park open.

There will be no activities at the park Monday.

However, it is possible the Beach Club may open next weekend if enough money is raised.

A fund drive was started Wednesday by Conneaut Lake developer Greg Sutterlin, who announced a campaign to raise the $100,000 needed to prepare the park to open by July 4th.

As of Friday evening, $25,050 had been raised, but no checks will be cashed until the fund reaches $60,000. When that amount is reached, the park can open the Beach Club, the beach, docks, Hotel Conneaut, Elizabeth’s Restaurant, Camperland and Parkside Bar and Grill.

Additional revenue would be used to open Kiddieland and the Carousel, and then the midway. Sutterlin said it is hoped adult rides can be opened as additional revenue is received.

The park was closed after it was determined there was not enough money to open for the 2007 season.

If the fund drive is not successful and the park doesn’t open, uncashed checks for this fundraiser will be returned.

If donors wish a tax deduction, checks should be made out to the Conneaut Lake Institute, a 501-C organization, as part of its Keep the Memories Coming project.

Those wishing to make donations may call Deshner at 382-5115; Dick Williams, 382-2845; or Sutterlin, 382-5501.