TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best movie sword fights

Mechanic

Personally, I have never seen a better sword fight than the one between Liam Neeson and Tim Roth in the movie Rob Roy. Are there any that you feel are better?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27M5KWI_q50

(edited to add a working link to the video as the original link was no longer working)

Edited by Mechanic

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year, I bought tickets to a sold out concert from some guy who is one of very few hollywood 'acting swordfight trainers.' Random, I know, just thought I would throw that out there. Some guy, somewhere in the San Fernando Valley, makes a living teaching people how to pretend to swordfight.

Chris.

^ Haha! Like the "cock fights" in the movie Night Patrol? Seriously though, it was an honest question. I edited the first post to include a video of the scene I was referring to in case some people aren't familiar with the movie.

Y'all beat me to Kill Bill Vol 1 and Princess Bride, and I'm amazed anyone remembers Night Patrol other than me (though mainly for the Unknown Comic one liners).

Stephen Seagal has a pretty savage sword fight in Marked For Death, he slices the guys nose down the middle in the sword fight. To top it off he gouges his eyes, break his back over his knee, and then throws the guy down an elevator shaft where he is imapaled on something with his heart on the end of it. And then utters a rather memorable one liner.

They don't do retribution like that anymore.

I thought for sure reading the topic title this would be discussing more "adult" subject matter!

If that's the case, the glow-in-the-dark-condom brawl from John Ritter's "Skin Deep" has to be in the top 3.

As for the actual thread, I'd have to go with Anakin VS. Obi Wan in ROTS. OK, so technically lightsabers aren't literally swords, but still...a close second would be when Kane confronts Connor MacLeod in the Buddhist shrine in Highlander: The Final Dimension, in violation of the Immortal Golden Rule.

If light sabers count, I'm going to say the fight between Lone Star and Dark Helmet in Spaceballs. It also has a few good jokes for the more "adult" side of this thread. "I see your shwartz is just as long as mine."

If light sabers don't count, then mark me down for another Pirates and Three Musketeers.

Hector vs Achilles is also a good one. Nothing against the others mentioned, but I find the vast majority of movie sword fights to be very contrived and unbelievable. I realize we're talking about movies here, so all of these sword fights we're talking about are indeed contrived, it's just that some come across as being more realistic and dramatic. I did name the topic "Best" movie sword fights and not "most realistic" sword fights, so I'm not complaining about anyone's opinion, but rather adding a clarifying point to why I really like the fight in the original post.

I also think this one from Kingdom Of Heaven is pretty decent, but the ending leaves something to be desired.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...