TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Theme Park Review's 2009 Trips Announced!

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^How can you afford all those trips?!?! Both money wise and time wise

These trips are not that expensive. Seriously, if you look at generic sightseeing tours you'll see that our trips are a steal for what you are getting.

I don't own Wendy's. If I did, the food would be better, and there would be more promotions involving Ice Bat, dinosaurs, strippers, and death metal. This is probably among the many reasons why I'm not allowed to own a major corporation.

Like Robb said, these trips are not expensive for what you get. I came home with so much extra money from the China trip, because we were fed so much during the trip I rarely had to spend my own money. They really are a good deal.

dt

^How can you afford all those trips?!?! Both money wise and time wise

These trips are not that expensive. Seriously, if you look at generic sightseeing tours you'll see that our trips are a steal for what you are getting.

They aren't expensive for what you get, but that doesn't mean that they are affordable. There are a lot of things that I think are worth the price, but I still don't have the funds to purchase them. I am going to have to save every week and hope for a good tax refund to afford the one trip that I plan on going on. Then, I still have to find affordable airfare. I wish Southwest flew into Atlanta.

The trips aren't expensive,

It took me 52 days of work at Toverland to pay for the East Coast Trip and the flights.

If I were working solely for the trip, I could afford it and the airfare after a few weeks, but I also have to take into account my mortgage, car payment, insurance, student loans, and utilities.

Don't we have this "it's too expensive" conversation every year?

Yep, it not cheap, but it's a great trip and well worth the expense. I know I did some sacrificing for the europe trip last year (but then I was over there for about a month), so I hope to start much earlier than I did last year. It may be a bit better because the exchange rates are looking better than they did last year; London kicked my a$$ in expenses and I was glad to get across the pond!

My advice would be start saving now for a trip in 2010 if you can't swing it this year. You'll be glad you did.

Terry

Also keep in mind the "affordable" conversation is why we started to introduce shorter less expensive trips like the Deep South and Texas trips. Those are just a bit over $1000 (we wanted to keep it at $1000 but things like Gold Qbots and the hotels pushed it over) and I feel are very affordable if you want get to the "TPR Experience" for a theme park trip!

--Robb

I hope to start much earlier than I did last year. It may be a bit better because the exchange rates are looking better than they did last year

It depends which way you're looking at it!

Dave

Well I hope you got a bunch of dollars saved over the summer!, the pound went twice as far this summer. Now... not so much.

I know if I get on the scandi trip, I won't be on any water rides! Brrr!

Terry "Always cold" Weaver

Also keep in mind the "affordable" conversation is why we started to introduce shorter less expensive trips like the Deep South and Texas trips. Those are just a bit over $1000 (we wanted to keep it at $1000 but things like Gold Qbots and the hotels pushed it over) and I feel are very affordable if you want get to the "TPR Experience" for a theme park trip!

--Robb

I appreciate the more affordable trips. I wasn't complaining...just pointing out that "affordability" is all relative. I've never questioned that the price wasn't worth every penny...I just don't have so many pennies to spare.

On a side note. Do people from the same areas generally help one another out on finding good airfare? I will be flying out of DFW to Atlanta for the Deep South trip, and I just wondered if others are also flying out of Dallas maybe we could look out for cheap fares and alert the fellow travelers when we find one. I assume that this would all be discussed in the trip threads, but I just wondered if it usually works like that.

I guess I'll be flying home with quite a few TPR members as they start the Texas trip, and I go back to work.

Hopefully I'll have my first deposit in by tonight or tomorrow. I'm trying to work it out where they drop me of at the airport, then head up to Chattanooga and stay there while I'm on the trip. This way they would get a vacation they've been wanting while not having to go to a themepark. Also, with this deal, there's no airfare costs!

I appreciate the more affordable trips. I wasn't complaining...just pointing out that "affordability" is all relative. I've never questioned that the price wasn't worth every penny...I just don't have so many pennies to spare.

Rest assured that TPR trips are not filled with a bunch of spine surgeons, investment bankers, CEOs, and intellectual property attorneys. Basically, it's all just "regular" people who have travel as a high priority in their budgets. We've got teachers, engineers, a mailman, a guy who works for UPS, computer programmers, an academy award winning writer, etc.

I work for a friggen phone company and I managed to go on the Europe trip this year with my wife. And, assuming I make it on, I'll be on the Scandi trip next year. When I bought my place, I opted to get a much smaller place than the bank would lend me money to buy. I drive an older car that I own. It's all about what prioritizing your budget for what you want most.

^Once we open up the Private Trip Boards, we create an airfare thread where everyone keeps an eye on stuff and we alert each other for flights!

Which is limited to the people already signed up for that particular trip. If the cost of airfare is an issue to the point of keeping someone from signing up for a trip, it would be nice if such a thread was in a public forum.

^ This is the way we've done it for the past three years and it hasn't been a problem.

It's not brain surgery to check on airfare for flights to get a rough idea if you can afford the airfare + the trip. There are plenty of easy-to-use internet options to get fares. TPR does not offer a service where we price out flights for you as that's not part of the package, BUT we do have a thread on the trip forums where people can share the fares that they have found.

In most cases, especially for international trips, it's only a difference of a couple hundred bucks, and IMO if you can't figure out how to check airfare on your own, or if a couple hundreds dollars in either direction is going to make or break you putting in a refundable initial deposit, then it's doubtful that you'd be able to afford the trip anyway.

--Robb

I'm leaning towards the Deep South trip. I've been to a few of the parks on the list. I know if we are going to Dollywood, I know they will treat TPR quite well. I bet my bottom dollar that we will have ERT on Thunderhead and Mystery Mine at least! The price for the trip is pretty reasonable too.

On the Deep South trip, I assume we will all meet initally at ATL?

I am trying to picture the "luxury" coaches. I hope they have the bling bling that was found on a coach during the Japan trip.

I don't own Wendy's. If I did, the food would be better, and there would be more promotions involving Ice Bat, dinosaurs, strippers, and death metal. This is probably among the many reasons why I'm not allowed to own a major corporation.

It's official...Dave Thomas is my hero! He's like a walking Grindhouse movie.