TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

The InBev/Busch Discussion Thread

Seems that InBev may have finally sold off the Orlando theme parks. Local news reports that The Blackstone Group is who the new owners will be, but nothing is confirmed until tomorrow sometime after a major announcement is made to the employees of the parks.

http://cfnews13.com/Business/LocalBusinessHeadlines/2009/9/22/seaworld_sold.html

Thoughts?

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

^As of right now, nothing has been said to indicate either outcome.

Someone at another website did note that Merlin's policy with animals in show seems to conflict with that of Busch's though, which some are viewing as a reason why the buyout may not happen. Personally, I don't think the issue is major enough to stop a major transaction such as this, but it is certainly an interesting find.

Local news says that InBev/Seaworld/Blackstone are keeping really tight lipped about the plausible sale.

From Central Florida News 13

Park officials, however, said they did not have informationon a final sale and refused to discuss the situation any further.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, however, officials with both SeaWorld and Busch Entertainment deferred all questions to Anheuser-Busch InBev, who also refused to comment

“We will not comment on recent media reports with regard to BEC theme parks,” Anheuser-Busch InBev representative Karen Couck told News 13.

Link

From Wesh 2 News

Officials with SeaWorld in Orlando said there was no announcement of a sale at a quarterly meeting between employees and executives on Wednesday.
Link

Channel 6 News

Tom Cahill, who runs several industry insider Web sites, shared information with Local 6 overnight after he received a phone call from an anonymous Blackstone Group employee. The employee told him the sale rumors are true.

Blackstone has purchased either 50 percent or 51 percent of SeaWorld, according to the rumor. The Blackstone employee also said two conference rooms have been set aside at SeaWorld Orlando on Wednesday to share the news of new ownership with employees.

Link

So it would seem that the local media has taken wind of the rumors and is trying to get confirmation.

The main news stations here in Orlando are blasting Brighthouse's Cable Channel 13 for pumping this up yesterday, saying it was a done deal and that an announcement would come at this morning's meeting.

You would think that a press conference on a pretty large scale would be called for an "announcement to the public." This is no small garage sale, this is big for Orlando and the other areas BEC has parks located.

When and if something happens, we'll find out from the companies, not sources close to the deal and my best friends sisters boyfriend who heard it from the guy who knows the girl who saw him pass out last night at 31 flavors!

I'm curious as to how people say they spotted Blackstone executives touring the parks. Do they even know who they are or what they look like.

What I do know is that Jim Atchison, president of BEC, had spent the past few weeks traveling to each park, touring them, and basically just getting an update on them. Could people have confused BEC's own people with Blackstone execs?

Yeah, I am awaiting a press release to confirm the purchase also. I think the inventories are just so the final price is negotiated. If I was Blackstone, I would want to know everything I was buying before I wrote the check.