TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Anyone here have a GPS navigator?

Movieguy

I decided to finally go to Knoebel's next month...but, the directions given by both mapquest, and the Trip tic I got from AAA, are a little bit convoluted. So, I thought it might be best to look into buying a GPS navigator to help me find my way there, as well as help me for any other time I try to drive into an area I'm not too familiar with (Plus, I have Asperger's Syndrome, which I found out from a therapist I've been seeing for the past year, and following numbers and maps is generally my big weakness, so I think a GPS would help me in that regard too.)

So, if there's anyone who owns one of these devices, I'd very much like to hear some advice on what brand or model I should go for. If it's a factor at all, my car is a 2004 Chevy Monte Carlo.

Thanks to any who can help

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Garmin nuvi 680, and I love it. It tells me gas prices, traffic, and restaurants; I can make phone calls from it; and I was able to hook mine up to my bike now since gas is so high. And I belive I gor mine for about $800.

--Chris

Chalk up another vote for Garmin and the Nuvi series. I have the 660, and with its small size, wide screen, and built in bluetooth, it's pretty much the best thing I purchased for myself so far this year. Though it does have some minor flaws like not being able to decipher the difference between expressways and highways with lights and such as far as the time difference, it hasn't gotten me lost yet, and in the event that I make a wrong turn, it's quick to recalculate. Gotta love the preloaded maps and addresses, as well as the various voices it has loaded. I nabbed mine on Amazon for a pretty good price, and got the accompanying dashboard sandstand thingy so I don't have to worry about suction cups. My Mena is awesome!

I have tried several GPS navigation systems (Garmin, TomTom, Navigon), and sadly I can't call any of them good. They will all get you there in the end, but they are also all slow, clunky and just not designed or implemented very well.

That said, the sat-nav industry is a pretty fascinating one to watch. I don't think you will go wrong with any unit, but I would suggest buying one of the cheaper ones (simply because they all will be obsolete quite quickly).

Cameron.

We have a TomTom Europe Edition and it got us to Disneyland Paris fine. There were a few rough spots when we hit Dutch roads that hadn't technically been built yet but TomTom got us there in the end!

We have had ours almost 3 years now and due to the fact I can update it using internet it's never really gone out of date.

Out of the three years we have had it, it sent us the wrong way once! That's not bad.

Just realised that your in the US so I don't know what a TomTom would be like over there, but if it is as good as it is here then I'd go for it. They are cheap too!

This is all very interesting to hear. Cost will be a factor in what I buy as well. I'm not broke, but I am on a bit of a budget (Gas prices and all...), and I really don't need anything too fancy that uses bluetooth or makes phone calls or anything beyond just telling me where I need to go. But it's handy to hear all the brand names and everything.

TomToms are very cheap and its free to update them! You have to pay for extra voices but apart from that their webpage pretty much does everything for you.

The TomTom isn't very fancy as in phonecalls, bluetooth, calling out "I'm hungry" brings up fast food outlets, etc. but it does the job.

Yay TomTom!!

I have a build-in system in my car, so that will not help you finding Knoebels

What I can tell you is that during our recent trip in the Usa, we had rented a Garmin gps and it brought us just fine to Knoebels.

It wasn't really slow either.

I can't recall the exact type of it though but it looked like it was already some what old. So I guess the newer Garmins should even be better.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 250. Haven't had any issues with it after 2 months of use. The 250 is a good option if you want a basic GPS unit, it has lots of attractions, restaurants, hotel, and other places built right in. I think it was about $200-250 from Best Buy.

Watch out with the TomTom units in north america. They use the Tele Atlas mapping data which is not very accurate or complete. Garmin uses NAVTEQ maps and they are far better than the Tele Atlas ones.

For some really good reviews of GPS units check out this GPS magazine site.

www.gpsmagazine.com/

I have tried several GPS navigation systems (Garmin, TomTom, Navigon), and sadly I can't call any of them good. They will all get you there in the end, but they are also all slow, clunky and just not designed or implemented very well.

Yeah, I sorta feel the same way. I've been reading a ton of reviews and looking at various models over the past few months, and there doesn't seem to be one that has everything in a really nice package. Every single one has drawbacks that are enough to make me wait it out a little longer.

Well, I made my choice. Today I bought a TomTom One 130 S. It was at a reasonable price compared to the other models at Best Buy, plus it has a text to speech feature that I think will come in handy.

Update: Ok, I just did something really boneheaded, and tried to test this thing out on the road without really knowing what I was doing...and I nearly got myself into an accident because of it...

So this Navigator came with this round black, sticky pad that I put on the upper section of my windshield...the device itself has a suction cup on the back, that you stick onto the pad...the problem is, the device doesn't want to stay put. The second I drove off, the suction cup gave out, and the thing dropped onto the area where I was driving, and distracted me, nearly making me crash into a ditch.

I just want to ask anyone who knows how to use these things...What did I do wrong? Where exactly is this thing supposed to go in my car? and most important, how do you make the device stay put, when all its got in back is a darned suction cup?

So this Navigator came with this round black, sticky pad that I put on the upper section of my windshield...the device itself has a suction cup on the back, that you stick onto the pad...the problem is, the device doesn't want to stay put. The second I drove off, the suction cup gave out, and the thing dropped onto the area where I was driving, and distracted me, nearly making me crash into a ditch

You know I had the same problem at first with mine. The suction wouldn't stick to the window, it kept dropping off and forcing me to cus at it. On the front of the suction cup area you should have a small lever. Place the suction cup on the window, while holding your gps to the window, pull the lever down.. this should make it have a tight seal. I didn't notice this at first, but now it sticks and works great!!

I have a Mio Digiwalker. It's wonderful. I got it for X-Mas and used it the first time in March when I came to WCB. I was by myself and it was my first time in LA. I was very happy I had it.

How do updates on these things work? Can you download updated maps and stuff by connecting it to a pc? Outside of a few occasions riding with friends, I generally don't have an experience with these things.

I'd probably most like to get the Alpine Blackbird one which can be used standalone or be docked with an in-dash screeen, giving me what I want in my personal car (larger screen) but with the ability to still be portable.

With the Garmin units you just plug them in to your PC or MAC and run an update program. It brings up a list of updates for your GPS such as new languages (voice, and text), as well as any map updates. Just click install and within a few minutes its all set to go.

I managed to get the 2009 map update for free because I purchased my unit (pre loaded with 2008) just after the release of the new maps. I'm not entirely sure how long you can receive the free updates though.

Additional maps of Europe and other countries can be purchased for about $150. They come on SD memory card which you just plug in to the side of the unit.

Ok, I figured out how to tighten the seal on my TomTom, so now I've been able to test it out without any trouble.

Overall, I can tell already that I made a good investment. Its instructions are clear, especially with the text to speech function, and its easy to follow.