TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Magic Mountain's X2 Media Day

Hey, you know what... I'm impressed. The coaster looks good, the attitude is wicked and when you can mix Rage and Sinatra you've got it made!! I think it's good they threw the tunnels out the window; with the combination of twisting and speed, the effect would have been a wasted function anyway. Great Job on the video Rob - Excellent!

Doug Barnes

www.seasonpasspodcast.com

doug@seasonpasspodcast.com

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This ride was all ready the best ride on the planet (IMO), now with all the new effects and audio I can only imagine how much more intense it will be. Iam really happy about the music selection, Rage, Metallica and X2 equals perfection. Cant wait to ride and also I cant wait to see it at night....WOW!!!!

Is it too early to start talking about X3?.....kidding.

Ok, let me try to address a few of the questions -

To be honest, I'm surprised that the speakers made the cut, given they were saying they were trying to cut weight wherever they could, not that I'm complaining, music has the ability to enhance any ride IMO.

How do you know that the original design for the trains didn't include the weight for the speakers? They wanted to keep the audio a secret as long as possible. It would make sense to me that when they did the calculations for the reduced train wait, it probably included this system.

Also, looking at the system, I would doubt they add that much weight to the train.

It seems like they cut back on some of the things like tunnels, but added the audio instead. I do wonder if it actually cost them 10 million dollars or if that amount was cut back along the way.

I don't remember off hand the EXACT number, but I do want to say that the trains were about 1.5 million each. So right there you've got nearly 1/2 of that budget. Add the entire paint job, producing the videos, audio, and other FX and I'm sure it all adds up VERY quickly.

Robb I'm not sure, but did you comment at all on the fog effect that they added too?

The fog was very hard to see and the wind was pretty much "blowing it away" during our rides. There is mist set up in the raven turn much like the mist in the Goliath tunnel.

It all looks nice, but it feels a little random. I suppose I'm used to Disney rides where there is a "reason" fire is being blown at you. But this just feels like "How many gimmicks can we add to this ride while still staying within budget?"

Well, you probably shouldn't be comparing something at Six Flags with something at Disney. That's just my take on it. I have to say that when I first heard about the audio system my initial reaction was "OMG, this is going to be the epic fail!" and it absolutley is the opposite. In fact, Six Flags take on audio worked BETTER than Rockin' Space Mountain or Screamin. So instead of just knee jerk complaining about the ride and comparing it to a Disney attraction, maybe you should come out and ride it?

Given that you were on the outside seat and not holding on, is it safe to say that the new trains are a success and the ride is smoother now?

I rode the back outside on purpose as my "Eejanaika Comparison." I also rode this exact same seat as my last ride on X. I don't think my ride today was any smoother or rougher than my last ride on X, which is MUCH better than my last ride on Eejanaika.

Ok, I hope that answers many randon questions and comments!

--Robb

Sorry, it still looks like the piece of crap that I rode years ago. Notice that nowhere in Robb's report did he say "OMG, it's so awesome, it's so smooth, it's awesome, OMG, OMG, OMG". Which pretty much means "it's the same damn thing".

Cosmetics don't do much for me Six Flags, NOT impressed, sorry.

TAER IT DOWN!

But most importantly was the on board audio! This REALLY added to the ride. Not only was it rockin' out to Rage Against the Machine, Aerosmith, and Metallica around the track, but they've even included a bit of "humor" into it with Frank Sinatra!!!

Does anyone know which Frank Sinatra song it is?

The fact that X2 is playing "Wake Up" makes me a very happy Colin!

So now we all have to compile the new song list...

1. Rage Against The Machine - Wake Up

It's the song from the end of The Matrix when Neo walks out of the phone booth and flies, then cuts to the credits.

I've heard figures for trains thrown around before, so if those numbers are true, given the size and complexity of the 4th Dimension trains, I'd be money the large majority of that 10 mill went towards that.

Yeah, I believe the figure stated at West Coast Bash was $2.1 million per train, so I guess we can thank Larry H. Parker. It's not known if the onboard audio system was even being planned at the time of WCB, what the cost of it per train was, and if that's included in the $2.1 million.

Sorry, it still looks like the piece of crap that I rode years ago. Notice that nowhere in Robb's report did he say "OMG, it's so awesome, it's so smooth, it's awesome, OMG, OMG, OMG". Which pretty much means "it's the same damn thing".

Cosmetics don't do much for me Six Flags, NOT impressed, sorry.

TAER IT DOWN!

Well, to be fair, I did say:

I just want to say that the new FX really *DO* add to the overall experience. The music sound track was great! The fire effect was fantastic! The coaster still "rides" about the same as it did before, so if you're looking for a smoother ride, try the inside seat. Either way you'll have a blast (literally) on the newly transformed X2!

As for the actual "ride" is concerned it's about as smooth as it was when X closed, which for some reason was much smoother than it was in it's REALLY "rough" years (2002 - 2006), and certainly nowhere NEAR as rough as Eejanaika.

And the audio alone REALLY did add something to the ride. It's sort of like the difference between riding California Screamin' with or without the audio.

I really did like the ride quite a bit, and I really wasn't expecting it to suddenly be smooth as a B&M.

The overall experience actually DID exceed my expectations.

--Robb

Count me among the less-than-overwhelmed, at least on the basis of the vid. Sure, I'm looking forward to riding it next week, but, as my partner said, "Damn, so that means it's still gonna be painful?" It all seems kinda like the Tomb Raidering of the Top Spin, but not as well thought out. All that hullabaloo over a second-long blast of fire and a soundtrack us commoners will get heartily sick of hearing over and over and over while enduring a 3-hour queue? OK, whatever. I'll remain agnostic for another 7 days.

Too bad the most creativity went into the CG ad. If the ride were remotely as cool as the commercial...

All that hullabaloo over a second-long blast of fire and a soundtrack us commoners will get heartily sick of hearing over and over and over while enduring a 3-hour queue? OK, whatever.

Do all you "commoners" get heartily sick of the soundtrack on Rock N Roller Coaster, Space Mountain, or California Screamin?

OK, whatever...

If the ride were remotely as cool as the commercial...

How would you know? Have you ridden it yet? No. Here's a tip - why don't you actually RIDE something before forming your opinion.

--Robb "Welcome back to the site, Shepp..." Alvey

Thanks for the coverage Robb! I think they actually did a good job with redoing X. The paint scheme is much more appealing and fitting, the trains look more reliable, and the onboard audio looks great! Taking an old coaster and redoing it with new effects and new equipment really shows me that the management really cares about how the parks are run. If X2 runs smoothly consistently for the rest of the season, I really hope they will consider bringing a 4D to the East coast at Great Adventure.

I haven't ridden X yet, but I hope to soon. For everyone complaining that it isn't smoother, that wasn't the purpose of the redesign. It was said in interviews that it was meant to make the ride run more efficiently and not be plagued with problems due to design flaws with the original trains. It may not be as pleasing to us, but the GP will take notice at how much better the operation of the coaster will be.

Thanks for the video and photos Robb! The flash video was great, because I can now watch it in work!

I think credit needs to be given where credit is due here, and given that the company is still in a lot of debt, to prolong and revamp a ride that could so easily been sent the way of Psyclone was a brave and bold move.

I'm sure I'll end up riding this before long, so I'm looking forward to finally trying ut out!

Oh my gosh! I am so excited after seeing all of this media day coverage to go and ride it. Especially after this long tiring semester. I have a few questions though that I am dying to know.

- Did they fix the speed of the rotation of the seats in the station from loading and unloading; because that really seemed like a HUGE portion of X's downfall on it's capacity. I remember they were using pneumatics, I could not figure out for the life of me why they would do that and not a linear actuator, those would have so much more control which would also allow them to rotate faster.

- Is the ride capacity any better with them not using the unload station and how is it affected with people walking all over the place who are getting off.

- Is the music played in the station speakers or just on the train, that might seem like a dumb question but I'm just curious.

- Also this might be annoying and pushing it, but if anyone knows any cool mechanical details of the trains or ride that would be cool. I am really into mechanical engineering!

If anybody who was there could answer these questions that would be way cool, I'm sure many others might be curious to know the answers to these questions. Thanks.

Great TR!

I think it looks great. The last time I rode X-the last day it operated as X-it wasn't as smooth as Tatsu or Goliath, but it was running a lot better than it had in previous years, and if it's at least that good, and they can keep the uptime as well as what will be improved capacity with the new procedure and more trains, the addition of the upgrades just sweetens the deal for me.

Look forward to getting on this thing Saturday morning!

Someone was just saying how the seats are slow in the unloading state. I was just thinking and could it be that this is a precaution to keep peoples feet from getting forced in ways they shouldn't be? Also, on those photos of the "no preferred seating", can you at least wait for the front row? Because that would seriously blow chunks if otherwise, but it's something I could deffinitely live with I guess.

Also, if someone wants a laugh; my brother said that X now looks like a giant flaming chicken rotisserie, lol.

I really did like the ride quite a bit, and I really wasn't expecting it to suddenly be smooth as a B&M.

--Robb

But you thought it would be smoother than it was? I didn't remember anyone say they though it would be as smooth as a B&M? I do recall Sharktums complaining about the roughness. I thought the main improvement was supposed to be the trains themselves making the ride smoother?

Everything I have read in the former threads leading up to X2's debut said lighter smoother trains, faster loading times and special effects, yet after reading some of this thread I see that it isn't any less rough, the effects may or may not be on due to wind and other factors, and the audio system is the real main experience improvement? That exceeded your expectations?

But with things balanced all out, however, the reason X2 is one of my most anticipated steelies and the reason I will be returning to the park in the near future, regardless of effects, is because of the ride itself. I really don't care if its a bit rough (heck, I'm immune to that after all the rides on the Bullet), it looks like a really really fun ride. I'm sure the added effects do add to the experience, but they don't make me want to ride it any more (or less) than I did before.

Hi again, I forgot to ask if there is going to be a "Single Rider" line for X2?

Also I just saw the "No preferred Seating" sign and I must say that is a disappointment for me. I always like to ride the front or back of a coaster. It drives me crazy when you cannot wait for the front. Almost every attraction on Earth has a longer line for front row and that should always be a option in my opinion but hey, what do I know

--Robb

But you thought it would be smoother than it was? I didn't remember anyone say they though it would be as smooth as a B&M? I do recall Sharktums complaining about the roughness.

Ok, I'll say it again now for the third time.

The ride *IS* smoother than it was during it's "roughest" years, but it's not as smooth as a B&M and I wasn't expecting it to be.

And it's ABSOLUTELY smoother than Eejanaika.

If anyone was expecting X2 to be as smooth as a Batman, Goliath, or Tatsu, well, your expectations are incorrect.

There is NO WAY a ride that is aggessive as X could ever become that smooth without completely re-engineering the entire ride.

I thought the main improvement was supposed to be the trains themselves making the ride smoother?

We were all told at West Coast Bash that the new trains would improve the "reliability" of the ride creating less downtime and they hoped that it would also be a smoother ride. And that it was. Smoothest ride in the world? Not a chance. But that wasn't my expectation.

Everything I have read in the former threads leading up to X2's debut said lighter smoother trains, faster loading times and special effects, yet after reading some of this thread I see that it isn't any less rough, the effects may or may not be on due to wind and other factors, and the audio system is the real main experience improvement? That exceeded your expectations?

*sigh* I have also already covered this in the update and in this thread...but once again....

Overall I felt the improvements were very good. As a complete package X2 delivered more than what I was expecting.

As for effects that may or not be on due to certain factors, the same can be said for ANY ride that has effects. I've had plenty of Space Mountain rides without audio. I've seen days where Volcano's fire effect doesn't work. Last time I was at Busch Gardens SheiKra's mist tunnel was off. BIG DEAL!

--Robb

--Robb

But you thought it would be smoother than it was? I didn't remember anyone say they though it would be as smooth as a B&M? I do recall Sharktums complaining about the roughness.

Ok, I'll say it again now for the third time.

The ride *IS* smoother than it was during it's "roughest" years, but it's not as smooth as a B&M and I wasn't expecting it to be.

If anyone was expecting X2 to be as smooth as a Batman, Goliath, or Tatsu, well, their stupid.

The point that I made was that I am reading the new trains did not meet their objective in being smoother, at least no smoother than the old trains during the last year, from what I gather. I had come to expect after reading posts, watching video, etc, that smoother ride was the main objective. There is even a picture of a sign in the photo report above saying "X2 improvements, lighter smoother trains". I may have been wrong here. I asked if you were surprised it wasn't any better (didn't meet expectations there), you didn't answer. You did repeat what I already agreed with you on, nobody should expect something of that design to be incredibly smooth. So the only thing I can assume is that the new trains indeed did not meet your expectations as far as making it smoother (since you state they are like the old trains in the last year).

I thought the main improvement was supposed to be the trains themselves making the ride smoother?

We were all told at West Coast Bash that the new trains would improve the "reliability" of the ride creating less downtime and they hoped that it would also be a smoother ride. And that it was.

So the new trains do provide a smoother ride? I am confused, I thought you said it was the same as the old trains during the last year? It is almost like you can't directly say that yes, it would have been nice if the new trains ran smoother, but they don't. I thought it was ACE members that had to be so PC.

As for effects that may or not be on due to certain factors, the same can be said for ANY ride that has effects. I've had plenty of Space Mountain rides without audio. I've seen days where Volcano's fire effect doesn't work. Last time I was at Busch Gardens SheiKra's mist tunnel was off. BIG DEAL!

--Robb

Perhaps I confused/combined my argument with my statement. I agree with you on the effects, with or without X2 will be a great ride that I highly look forward to. I'd feel I miss out on something if they are down when I ride, and perhaps a different choice of effects would lend themselves to being down less, but I wouldn't degrade the ride because of them not operating. As you say, BIG DEAL about the effects, that was kinda my point. It was the smoother train ride that would have really expanded X2's ridership for those who need a smooth ride, which is why I *had* a hard time understanding it exceeding expectations.

-GG

^ Perhaps your just not reading or listening.....

The point that I made was that I am reading the new trains did not meet their objective in being smoother

OMFG! What part of what I wrote did you not understand?!?!

I will say this ONE MORE TIME....

And it's ABSOLUTELY smoother than Eejanaika.

There was never an "objective" for the ride to be smoother from any period of time, just that the trains should be "smoother" in general.

When I took my very last ride on X I believe I posted something to the effect of "Wow, X has been much smoother these past few months. If X2's trains can continue to ride this smooth, I'd be happy." And that's exactly what happened. I don't feel like spending the time to dig up that post, but since so many of you seem hell bent and trying to prove me wrong or twist my comments around, then YOU can go find it!!!

There was a time where I would never ride X because it was just too rough. I would gladly ride X2 again thanks to the smoother ride.

So the only thing I can assume is that the new trains indeed did not meet your expectations as far as making it smoother (since you state they are like the old trains in the last year).

The trains completely met my expectations. I have said this already.

Now can we PLEASE stop getting hung up on this? The ride is smoother than it once was. Leave it at that, PLEASE!!!

--Robb "Getting very frustrated with people who don't read nor listen." Alvey

We were told at both the DVD party and at WCB smoothing out the ride has never been a goal with the new trains at all. The main and only goal (so we were told) was to make the trains much more reliable by making them lighter and constructing them in a completely different (and much more expensive) way. If it came out smoother then that was a side effect of making more reliable trains, not a goal set by the team.

Tim Burkhart has said many things that are wrong and has lied to us before. I wouldn't say he's stupid either, but I think he will say what ever he thinks he needs to say to answer a question to the person's (AKA PR heaven). Who knows though, maybe the ride he did take was indeed smoother then Scream.

I think Robb's trying to say the ride isn't smooth, but it's not as bad as it had been a few years ago. X was running pretty good right before it went down (subject to opinion of course, but I agree) to be transformed and he's saying the trains are at that level, not smooth but not horrible. I could be really wrong though, but I hope to find that out for myself within the next few weeks.

I really can't believe people are already complaining, especially those who haven't ridden it yet. Six Flags recognized that X was one of, if not the most popular ride at Magic Mountain, and saw an opportunity to perfect it! Of course, it was going to be a big investment, so to get a return on that the ride has to be repackaged and remarketed. What's wrong with that?! I'm happy it now is much closer to its full potential, and so should everyone else.

When I took my very last ride on X I believe I posted something to the effect of "Wow, X has been much smoother these past few months. If X2's trains can continue to ride this smooth, I'd be happy." And that's exactly what happened. I don't feel like spending the time to dig up that post, but since so many of you seem hell bent and trying to prove me wrong or twist my comments around, then YOU can go find it!!!

AHA! I found it:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=493709#493709

From December 4th, 2007 -

I just wanted to echo what everyone has said about X. Most people here know that I am not a fan of the ride, but even when I'm not a fan I'll give something props when it's due. I've ended up having to ride X about 15 times over the past 3 months, which is more than I've probably ridden it in the past 3 years just because it's gotten so rough.

Oddly enough, it's probably been running the best it's been since it opened for those rides, which I find ironic only because I'm sure part of the reason why they decision to get the new trains is because the old ones were just so brutal.

But for whatever reason it's been running great recently! While it's still far from being my favorite ride in the world, I really didn't mind riding it last night or the other times I've had to ride it over the past 3 months.

--Robb "I just hope the new trains keep it running as good as it has been recently" Alvey

THERE! Now please stop putting words into my mouth!

--Robb

OK, its clear. I was totally wrong for thinking the new trains were supposed to provide a big improvement in the roughness category. I was wrong, mislead, whatnot.

-GG

P.S. Yes, I'm really bored tonight & yes, I remember that post you just posted. I wasn't putting words in your mouth. I never saw you clearly state that you had no expectations of the new trains running better than it was running when the ride started the transformation. You have now, and then some.