TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

Some pointers from the Iron Wolf Maniac for bracing:

1.) Average "leave the harness a little bit lower so no nut-cracking" trick.

2.) Hold head to 1 Side of the Harness (Preferably Right) during any Twisting Motions, especially the former "out-in-the-woods" part.

3.) Watch out for the exit of the Corkscrew!

I went to the park yesterday for the first time this season to get a season pass. I was happily blown away with the park. It looks great!!! It was very clean and the employees were being really nice. All the random high fives walking through the park were a really nice touch. All of the improvements have come a long way. I love that they painted the pool on Shipwreck Falls as well as got the water fall working again. I loved that every ride I encountered was running!!

^ This. I just went today to grab a few snapshots of Apocalypse's construction, and my feelings are exactly as alilstronger said. Except Wild One went down at one point...

Anyway, here are the photos I took today. This is the first time I've seen the ride in person, and it got me really excited! Not much going on; mainly just work on the station house and the handicap-accessible ramp.

May 19th, 2012:

1.JPG.6208bc0b2a8ec5b854670086e8806843.JPG

Skull Island looks a *little* bit different from last year

2.JPG.3c2ad3e6b2f728ca0a8010b1d77e4404.JPG

Looking over from Roar's queue

3.JPG.1720dfdd5c2492d2d35816003f74e0f5.JPG

Mmm, look at that twisty-ness. I'm a fan of the paint job.

4.JPG.da896ec85472764333a8eeb43accdffa.JPG

More of the back half of Apocalypse.

6.JPG.afcf0d1395d603e943017144176a2de9.JPG

Apocalypse: When the end of the world comes, don't s*** yourself. Jiffy John, Inc. can help!

7.JPG.186a74fba1bf7af032c0a82c16b67fbd.JPG

In other news, Roar was running great today!

8.JPG.91fb477b8831f46bdfd422e6aa0234d8.JPG

Onto some more Apocalypse photos

9.JPG.601b52fbd1e5c3242ebbf0995f5ffccc.JPG

10.thumb.JPG.2f8d2f57045d94e96c75d7532edc0372.JPG

11.JPG.5be3b7ae27b5eb9984e8f453b24f7d6f.JPG

Brake run goodness.

12.JPG.16b8c8072dbfb25ab55390cec8d41384.JPG

"Hey Joe, when do you think this ride will open?"

"I don't know Bob, maybe when you get off your butt and get back to work!"

(June 7th is the current outlook)

13.JPG.345e6700019866767c3b94fda004e28f.JPG

Station house is looking pretty good.

14.JPG.b9c53f339f1204c1b5474fe65a9f2576.JPG

Apocalypse has a good relationship with cats. I always knew they were evil...

15.JPG.dcd34c472887b53d23b92ee7bec3392c.JPG

16.JPG.171bd0906f251b022ce670c613f942c9.JPG

17.JPG.bdbc98c6ce993bd3fc5a9ebd8e757014.JPG

Hmmm, what's this I see here?

18.JPG.5c9e757c8f2883437c9ac681fbaa42eb.JPG

I can't wait to be going up that lift hill!

19.JPG.2f2a62922cb5e4899c915d42089c3b7e.JPG

More work being done on the ramp.

20.JPG.880e437d1459b5fb27dbecd4013f91ce.JPG

Looking back from the entrance to Gotham City (underneath Wild One).

21.JPG.4b3c4116b87e12e7a043b4829ea7b77e.JPG

This is what's left over of Skull Mountain: The final drop and turntable guts. Kind of spooky.

23.JPG.d71970a070ff6f308ac201f10ada17a7.JPG

Extra: Just something interesting I noticed from Superman's queue. It says "...salutes our military...". I think Andrews Air Force Base was having their airshow this weekend???

Edited by CoasterRollin

^I could easily see SFA ending up with a SkyScreamer model, as well as any other flats that prove to be popular chain-wide in the coming years. The park could definitely use some, with Iron Eagle, Chaos, and the tilt-a-whirl and bobsled flats all being removed over the past couple of years.

Anyone else planning on being there on June 7th for opening day of Apocalypse? I will be there!

We might head over that Sunday - we'd go Thursday but I start working that week. Plus, that'll give me a few days to know how much I have to brace myself when riding.

You know,I really don't get why tilt & avalanche were removed,chaos,enterprise & especially IE are all understandable as they each were prone to constant downtime & other assorted problems but tilt & avalanche ran fairly well & were still popular rides that should've been spared.

That said I wasn't too fond of tilt(major barf fest waiting to happen) but did enjoy a spin on avalanche every so often so it was sad to see those two rides go.

Nice update. Glad to see that it's already testing so hopefully they can get it up and running soon. I'm really liking the paint job and some of the other theming that they're working on. Sure beats the Premier Parks treatment the new coasters used to get.

It looks so weird not surrounded by trees. I hope you guys out on the East Coast enjoy it. Was it the smoothest ride? No, but I NEVER found it to be as brain-shatteringly rough as people complained. I also thought Mean Streak wasn't as crappy as I was expecting, so maybe I have a slightly higher tolerance of pain (still was pretty lackluster though).

That too. Like when you used to be able to see Hypersonic XLC from Grizzly at KD, this will bring back memories for people. Unfortunately, Skull Mountain was closed every time I went to the park while it was still there, so I never got to ride it .

That too. Like when you used to be able to see Hypersonic XLC from Grizzly at KD, this will bring back memories for people. Unfortunately, Skull Mountain was closed every time I went to the park while it was still there, so I never got to ride it .

You weren't missing much,when the ride lost it's turntables back in 07 it lost a good part of it's appeal.

I wonder if they can open up that space between Roar & wild one to create a new access point to the gotham side of the park? That would really allow for better traffic into & out of the two areas.

Agreed. One of the best decisions I think they could make would be to link Gotham, where Thomas Town is, over to either in between Roar and Apocalypse or even run back around Roar, between it and the rapids, to where the water cannon platform is back there. That would be a full loop, and would require some good stuff to do back behind Roar, so it's unlikely - but a link just around the back side of Wild One just makes sense!

I'm not sure. Still a week and a half away, so it's possible they will release more details about it. And yeah, if I could, I would probably be going up for Skyrush too!

The end is near as Apocalypse debuts this summer at Six Flags America on Thursday, June 7!

This new roller coaster promises park guests total mayhem in the form of a stomach dropping 10 story plunge. Take a stand against the end of the world on the only stand up roller coaster in Maryland. Upon approaching Apocalypse you’ll wind through a queue stepping further and further into an end of the world scenario. Just when it looks like you won’t survive, you’ll break out to make your final stand and win the day.

Brave riders will stand four abreast in a seven row train, while making the 100-foot ascent to the ride’s apex. For two thrilling minutes you will hurtle along the 2,900 foot steel track at 55 miles per hour, through nerve-racking hairpin turns and gut-wrenching inversions that are sure to leave you exhilarated.

Be one of the first to ride Apocalypse: 2012 Six Flags America Season Pass holders are invited to be amongst the first to brave the park's newest ride in a two-day preview event on Saturday, June 2 and Sunday, June 3, 2012. Season passes can be purchased here.

Apocalypse is located in the Skull Island section of the park. Riders must be at least 54” tall to brave the Apocalypse.

Source: the offical SFA newsletter for May 23.

^ Yes, that kind of loop would definitely help out.

By the way, is anyone planning on attending the Season Pass Holder preview days for Apocalypse on either June 2nd and 3rd?

I'll be at KD on june 2nd.

As for a path back behind Roar's drop/first turn while it's possible they'd have to really clear out all the junk back there first.

^That's easy. Bulldoze Hurler and expand the waterpark to the side so it's where Hurler was.

Back on topic, I get to go to SFA for the first time since 2000 on Monday. Glad to hear it's better than it was in the mid-2000s. I had lots of fun when I went in 99 and 2000, despite it raining the whole day the first time, and Superman being closed the second time. So hopefully this trip doesn't break the streak of good visits, and Superman will be open so I can finally ride it. Get to get that Batwing credit too.

^I am sure you will have a great time!!! Just remember get that Batwing credit first! In my visits Batwing is always running one train. Memorial Day will surely be busy (for SFA standards atleast) so don't expect walk-ons. However, it should be a fairly good visit. When the waterpark closes gotham will get busy again particularly superman.

for those who have visited so far, how many trains have the gotham coasters been running this season?

When I went last week, Superman and Batwing were both running only one train. I didn't check Joker's Jinx; it was a really quick visit mainly to process my season pass and take a look at Apocalypse.

Joker always runs one train. At least, it did when I was there about 50 times last season.