TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags America (SFA) Discussion Thread

To be fair, Roar is like 75% retracked and ran really well last week. I was surprised. In 2008 it was like death.

I agree. I've ridden it at least 10 times this summer. Doesn't seem that rough to me. 2 years ago it was ridiculous. Someone said 7 minute dispatches..lol..the very beginning of the season aside, every ride except for Batwing seems to be going out somewhere between 55 seconds to 1:43. I always start timing after everyone gets out; they can't help that.

I wouldn't say Six Flags is bad at taking care of woodies, rather they take care where needed.

I certainly wasn't suggesting that they literally don't know how to take care of woodies, like they want to but they're too stupid ("Hank! You put the track on upside down again!"). I'm just saying that as far as their track record with maintaining woodies, they're literally the worst. Like, no chain has more examples of rides left to rot then they do. And you can't say it's somehow ok because they're only tearing down rides that are rough and terrible, how do you think they got rough and terrible in the first place?

I completely agree with you. Six Flags has done a very poor job at maintaining many if their wooden coasters. However, Roar and RT were mediocre, unpopular wooden coasters in the first place. No amount of retracking would make them great coasters. I'm not saying they aren't to blame for this, but they don't necessarily need to put in the money to maintain wooden coasters like they do El Toro (though they SHOULD).

Wonder if Six Flags is thinking of putting Wild One under the knife in a year or two for the RMC redo?...was thinking of ROAR, but I doubt RMC would redo a GCI just yet.

Absolutely not.

Six Flags sucks at a lot of things but they do seem to take decent care (for a corporate chain) of their classic wood coasters. The wood coasters that have received the the Iron Horse treatment have all been mediocre to flat out awful rides that enthusiasts only pretended to like after it was announced that they were closing but before that the rides always had short lines and very few people liked them (though I can't speak for Medusa as I don't know much about it).

I nearly spit out my coffee when I read this. Of all the nice things you can say about Six Flags, taking care of their woodies is absolutely not one of them, in this or any parallel reality.

I stand by what I said. They take good care of their CLASSIC wood coasters. Thunderbolt at SFNE has been maintained incredibly well and has given very smooth rides ever since Six Flags took over. A few years ago they re-painted the entire thing and did a huge re-tracking project even though the ride experience was fine before they did it. Wild One also runs very well even though the coaster originally opened in 1917. Newer, larger wood coasters that probably require more maintenance due to their layouts, height and speed aren't maintained as well. I'm talking about anything from the 70's on... there are some exceptions but I actually think they take better care of their really old wood coasters than Cedar Fair does (Thunderhawk).

Wild one was the smoothest woodie I've ever been on

Wow you need to ride some more wooden coasters. SFA is my home park and I fully support it, but Wild One, IMO, does not live up to its reputation. I've ridden it about 10 times this year, and while not as bad as Roar, the valleys are VERY rough, and the helix is not buttery at all. Maybe I'm spoiled by El Toro nearby, but I don't see the love for Wild One.

Wonder if Six Flags is thinking of putting Wild One under the knife in a year or two for the RMC redo?...was thinking of ROAR, but I doubt RMC would redo a GCI just yet.

Absolutely not.

Six Flags sucks at a lot of things but they do seem to take decent care (for a corporate chain) of their classic wood coasters. The wood coasters that have received the the Iron Horse treatment have all been mediocre to flat out awful rides that enthusiasts only pretended to like after it was announced that they were closing but before that the rides always had short lines and very few people liked them (though I can't speak for Medusa as I don't know much about it).

I nearly spit out my coffee when I read this. Of all the nice things you can say about Six Flags, taking care of their woodies is absolutely not one of them, in this or any parallel reality.

I stand by what I said. They take good care of their CLASSIC wood coasters. Thunderbolt at SFNE has been maintained incredibly well and has given very smooth rides ever since Six Flags took over. A few years ago they re-painted the entire thing and did a huge re-tracking project even though the ride experience was fine before they did it. Wild One also runs very well even though the coaster originally opened in 1917. Newer, larger wood coasters that probably require more maintenance due to their layouts, height and speed aren't maintained as well. I'm talking about anything from the 70's on... there are some exceptions but I actually think they take better care of their really old wood coasters than Cedar Fair does (Thunderhawk).

I understand you're making a distinction between classic and more modern/larger wooden coasters. But Cedar Fair does a pretty good job of taking care of their classic wooden coasters as well (Blue Streak), Thunderhawk being an exception, although even that coaster's biggest crime is excessive trimming, not roughness. Classic coasters are easier to maintain, but I will given them a little credit for not allowing every single wooden coaster of theirs to suffer the same fate. I do agree that rides like Wild One will never get iron horsed, I'm just saying your prior statement "for a corporate chain" implies there are other corporate chains even worse at taking care of their wooden coasters than Six Flags, and I don't believe that's true. And you also can't ignore the fact that rides like Rolling Thunder and Texas Giant would have been perfectly fun, enjoyable rides still running today if Six Flags hadn't let them rot in the first place. Those are my only two points.

I think Wild One is overrated, but it's hard not to overrate it when it's sitting in a park where it feels like, if there were a coaster Heaven and a coaster Hell, it's the only one of the bunch that would go to the former.

Edited by neil009

The only thing I don't like about Six Flags and wooden coasters is how they've been giving a lot of them the RMC treatment lately. I'm sure there's more to come too. They dont even try to work with some of the wooden coasters, just give them the "treatment." Roar is actually a fun woodie, and has some decent airtime. I agree that the retracking has improved its older misrrable days. I could easily see Six Flags giving it the treatment in a couple of years, even with being a GCI.

The only thing I don't like about Six Flags and wooden coasters is how they've been giving a lot of them the RMC treatment lately. I'm sure there's more to come too. They dont even try to work with some of the wooden coasters, just give them the "treatment." Roar is actually a fun woodie, and has some decent airtime. I agree that the retracking has improved its older misrrable days. I could easily see Six Flags giving it the treatment in a couple of years, even with being a GCI.

I don't see how taking a coaster and making it world-class is a bad thing? Even if the original layout had great potential with better maintenance, it still is better to have a world-class coaster in my book.

Wild One is probably one of the best classical wooden coasters. Its definitely my favorite in the park. It is a very smooth coaster too. I wouldn't say Six Flags is the WORST at taking care of wooden coasters either. They're just okay in terms of maintenance

+1..most continue to forget that it is 97 years old. Considering its age, Its relatively smooth.

^Plenty has been changed, but still - reprofiling happens on a lot of wooden coasters, that doesn't make them any younger! I wonder if we'll see anything done for Wild One to celebrate it's centennial? Topper track could even be really nice, just to keep it running well for decades to come without any crazy modifications (though I wouldn't be opposed to getting the old turnaround back).

I'd like to know too. They would probably do a paint job; I hope not. They need to leave it as is to keep up the 'classic' look. A good re-tracking would be nice, but most wouldn't know it was done. They probably want something to 'show'. Got a few years to wait..

Cedar hasn't taken care of Hurler or Grizzly either. Hurler wrenched my neck. First coaster to do so.

Are you talking about KD? Because Hurler was just recently retracked and I thought Grizzly was running great when I went this year.

^Plenty has been changed, but still - reprofiling happens on a lot of wooden coasters, that doesn't make them any younger! I wonder if we'll see anything done for Wild One to celebrate it's centennial? Topper track could even be really nice, just to keep it running well for decades to come without any crazy modifications (though I wouldn't be opposed to getting the old turnaround back).

I can see it now, new for 2017, for its centennial, Wild One Backwards. You know it's coming especially since this is Six Flags America.

Next week on Saturday I will be doing Six Flags America. I have never been here and don't know much about this park. I have heard things like its ghetto and stuff but I'm assuming that's bull. I really wanna go and ride Batwing! Will I need a fast pass for this park or no? And will I be able to ride everything in one day?

No fast pass needed. I'll admit, lately, Saturday lines have been longer than usual. I have seen the Apocalypse line actually stretch to the middle of the queue. If you get there early, you'll knock everything out, dry ride wise, in a few hours. Good news is that all summer they have been running two trains on everything. Contrary to belief, ops on the coasters move along just fine. I've been timing them all season. About the same on comparable rides at other parks (been to KD, SFGA, SFGAdv, Busch Gardens, and Hershey this year) Batwing loading is pretty slow though. I experienced the same slow ops on superman ultimate flight at SFGA. Damn flying coasters...lol... You will have a good time; I always do.