TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

JZ's New Nikon Camera!

As some of you man know, I lost my camera during the last leg of my trip to australia. Unfortunately, the Sydney airport was very uncooperative in helping me get it back.

SO with a little bit of help from my Uncle and mom, I was surprised with a new camera yesterday!

http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25420/D40.html

It's a Nikon D40.

I was wondering if anyone else here uses one, or has used it - I'd love some tips, reviews on it! It would also be awesome to see some pics. Look foreward to a nice KI photo TR soon!

-JZ

353_25420_D40_front.jpg.8407795eb54688b9dfe15a0080f54906.jpg

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure about the d40, but I have a d70s and love it. I suggest getting a vertical grip and 2 extra batteries. The grip has a place for two batteries and I can go months without charging them. I got both a grip and batteries on ebay for 100 dollars shipped, they weren't brand name, but I have had them for 2 years with no problems.

Not sure about the d40, but I have a d70s and love it. I suggest getting a vertical grip and 2 extra batteries. The grip has a place for two batteries and I can go months without charging them. I got both a grip and batteries on ebay for 100 dollars shipped, they weren't brand name, but I have had them for 2 years with no problems.

Yes, what I was thinking aswell. I've had too many times where my battery ran out and I missed some AWESOME photo opporunities. Thanks! I'll look on ebay.

-JZ

My wife owns a Nikon D40X and just recently got the D200. She has really liked her D40X. I think the only difference between your model and hers is the megapixels, so I think you are really going to like the camera. I'll send her to this thread so she can offer more insight.

My wife owns a Nikon D40X and just recently got the D200. She has really liked her D40X. I think the only difference between your model and hers is the megapixels, so I think you are really going to like the camera. I'll send her to this thread so she can offer more insight.

And having more megapixels isn't going to matter unless you're blowing the images up to absurd sizes.

I have no doubt that this is a good camera. However, for whatever reason, at our house, we tend to favor Canons. My own is a simple Canon A720IS (this is the infamous camera that I lost at WCB and got back). But I'm looking to get a Canon Rebel XTi. I just need to do some more research.

To me, it's kind of a funny coincidence that Nikon has a model called "D40," and Canon has one called "40D." That's always mixed me up a bit.

But anyway, enjoy your camera. I'm sure you've picked a good one and will get some great shots.

Eric

Although I don't have that particular camera, it looks about the same size as mine. My only problem with it-that might affect you-is its size. It's too big to keep in cargo pockets, so you'll have to rent a locker if you take it to any parks. On the other hand, since it isn't a little point and shoot camera, you'll be able to adjust your camera settings to the conditions when taking your photos. Anyways, I'd still hang on to the old camera if I were you, as you will be able to take pictures from queue lines.

Edit: well, apparently you use my last bit of advice as I forgot you lost your camera.

^

He can't hang onto his old camera because he couldn't hold onto it (that was a joke). But he lost his camera in Austrailia, I bought a cheap 100 dollar p&s for things also.

EDIT:

Grip for 60 dollars.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Phottix-Battery-Vertical-Grip-for-Nikon-D40-D40x-D60_W0QQitemZ170207308323QQihZ007QQcategoryZ15215QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2 batteries for under 30.

http://cgi.ebay.com/2P-Battery-for-NIKON-D40-D40X-D-40-X-DIGITAL-SLR-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ300213518240QQihZ020QQcategoryZ48519QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

83 dollars.

The D40 is an excellent camera. My biggest issues were the limited lenses that were available to use. The ones I wanted would not AF. Also there is no command mode for the SB600 EF. I still have my D40 and have recently purchased the D200 as my main camera.

Congrats on the new toy

Hey guys! I got it today! It's a very nice camera. Light weight, small size, but too big/valuable to put in a cargo pocket. Unfortunately, it's got a few blemishes on the lense and viewing hole...thing. So I'm sending it back and getting one for a cheaper price! Yay! Here are some pics I took with it.

WOW! Your camera takes really good pictures! If I did not know better I would think that they were taken with a professional photographer's camera!

The skill of the photographer matters much more than the equipment that they use. Someone with skill can take good pictures with any modern camera. A $10,00 camera will never make me take pictures as well as Ansel Adams did. Fancy cameras are basically toys that make the job a little bit easier. You only need an SLR if you're taking shots of things in motion, like, say, a moving coaster train. Or little kids that run around a lot.

The skill of the photographer matters much more than the equipment that they use.

Yup, it's like just because you've got a $5,000 guitar doesn't mean you can play!

I've taken plenty of other shots I've absolutely loved with my other pocket cameras.

Very nice camera! So how much did that set you back then? And do you do any particular type of photography? Or do you just take pictures of everything?

I got a Fujifilm S5700 for Christmas. And it's a good camera, especially for only £100 (200USD), it has manual control, x10 optical zoom and it's very comfortable to use. Anyway it's a good camera, but i'm a terrible photographer. So i'm looking for a night class in beginner photography after my exams. Hopefully i'll be able to get good.

^Be careful with formal photography classes. A lot of them teach stuff like dark room techniques, which is worthless to people just looking to take better photos with their digital cameras.

There are many websites with good free help, like the following:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech.htm

That guy is a little bit out there. I think he writes articles specifically to annoy shutterbugs. But he's a first class photographer and that site is loaded with good stuff.

I've got a Nikon D50 (basically the older version of yours) and absolutely love it! The camera store I bought it from offered 3 hour classes designed specifically around individual cameras and how to make them sing and dance for you. I took it and it's helped me to get some amazing shots at theme parks. Overall though trial and error is still where you'll learn the most.

I use a combination of my D50 and a Fujifilm F40fd P&S. For a pocket sized point and shoot the Fuji can take some really great pictures as well. I really do suggest picking up some kind of point and shoot camera as well, because there have been alot of times that I either don't want to carry around my big SLR, or I don't want to take it in fear of theft/damage.

All the same, great purchase and have a blast with it!

Very nice camera! So how much did that set you back then? And do you do any particular type of photography? Or do you just take pictures of everything?

I got a Fujifilm S5700 for Christmas. And it's a good camera, especially for only £100 (200USD), it has manual control, x10 optical zoom and it's very comfortable to use. Anyway it's a good camera, but i'm a terrible photographer. So i'm looking for a night class in beginner photography after my exams. Hopefully i'll be able to get good.

It was about 400? 500 bucks? I'm just take pictures of everything, really. But with my pocket cam, I couldn't switch the depth; bah, I don't know how to explain everything....but I wasn't getting the pictures I wanted. I could see the picture in my head I wanted to take; crystal clear and all. I couldn't get it with my old cam; but with this one, now I can!

The skill of the photographer matters much more than the equipment that they use.

I agree with this, but only to an extent. Sure a great photographer can take great pictures with a crappy camera, and an awful photographer can take horrible pictures with a great camera, but having a higher quality camera allows you to do a lot more. I have a Sony Cybershot and while I can take great pictures with it in the sun or in a bright room, it takes awful pictures in poorly lit rooms or areas with tungsen lighting. Using the flash would produce a picture where everything looked greasy/dirty, and diffusing it didn't make much difference. I tried everything, thinking it was my skill set that was limiting me, but even my photographer friends couldn't make it work. As soon as I switched to a Canon Digital Rebel XTi, problem solved. My daylight photos also improved because I had way more options with the settings. I'm still no great photographer, but I'm having a lot more fun with the XTi and can do a lot more with my photos. The variety in lenses also makes a huge difference. You couldn't do those close-ups that Hanno took on the Midwest trip, or the ones monkeypants(sorry if that's the wrong username) took at Cedar Point without a good zoom lens. Anyway, my point is that in many cases the equipment does make a huge difference.

I second the recommendation for Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Great book!

I have a Canon 40D haha.

Cool though, isn't photography fun?! Congratulations on your new camera. I've used the D40 before, it's nice.

I saw some of you were talking about taking classes and stuff...I joined a good photography forum, (thephotoforum.com) and it's taught me a TON. Just by being on there a couple years, I know all the terms, I know professional techniques, etc...Just post your pictures, ask for critique, and look at other photographers work/critique. I've learned a loooot of free, and interesting stuff.

Also: ^, I agree with you! I started on a point-and-shoot camera, moved up to an "advanced point-and-shoot" with more control, and eventually grew out of that and moved on to my DSLR. The other cameras I had were just too limiting, and I had an idea of what I wanted, but my current cameras restricted me. However, good cameras definitely don't mean good photographers!

And don't ever tell a photographer they have a nice camera while looking at their pictures...I can't belive people do that, its so insulting.

Just wait till you get a external flash, my n55 flash was 90 dollars. I am purchasing a digital external flash this week. It is going to cost me 280. The sad thing is, what I am going to use it for, it will only work for a little distance. I am photographing a sprint car race on Friday. I really need a 1000 dollar flash and a 1000 dollar lens, but can't afford it.

I agree with this, but only to an extent. Sure a great photographer can take great pictures with a crappy camera, and an awful photographer can take horrible pictures with a great camera, but having a higher quality camera allows you to do a lot more. I have a Sony Cybershot and while I can take great pictures with it in the sun or in a bright room, it takes awful pictures in poorly lit rooms or areas with tungsen lighting. Using the flash would produce a picture where everything looked greasy/dirty, and diffusing it didn't make much difference. I tried everything, thinking it was my skill set that was limiting me, but even my photographer friends couldn't make it work. As soon as I switched to a Canon Digital Rebel XTi, problem solved. My daylight photos also improved because I had way more options with the settings. I'm still no great photographer, but I'm having a lot more fun with the XTi and can do a lot more with my photos. The variety in lenses also makes a huge difference. You couldn't do those close-ups that Hanno took on the Midwest trip, or the ones monkeypants(sorry if that's the wrong username) took at Cedar Point without a good zoom lens. Anyway, my point is that in many cases the equipment does make a huge difference.

I second the recommendation for Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. Great book!

Oh, I'm not denying that certain situations demand certain equipment. Like point-and-shoots suck for trying to photograph things in motion. My point is merely that the photographer's skill is 99% of the game. Giving a monkey a Stradivarius will not make him into a fine violinist.

http://www.kenrockwell.com/dv/index.htm

He took most of those shots with a $3 camera. All of them are WAY better than anything I've done.

Well, with those pictures, it doesn't matter what camera you have...it all maters on the brains and the setting. If you see something cool and old school, or something as beautiful as he did...any camera from high tech to phone camera could capture that picture well. Upload and change some colors on it, and you have a great picture.

-JZ

Oh, and as an update:

I took the camera back to Costco and they said the viewfinder pyramid or something was broken, and the lense had a scratch that was unfixable.

SO!

I sent that back, got the money, re ordered a new one and caught a deal on a bigger zoom lense....all for the original price I had payed! It should be here today.