TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

And yeah give Skyrush time. You can already see how quickly its grown into the creek already so it shouldnt be long untill the trees in the queue get some what larger

I just wrote a poem:

"Plants by the river

will always grow quicker

than plants that are actually not.

So in the meantime,

they should give Skyrush's line

an awning, or, you know, whatnot."

I wish they spent an extra couple of million on Storm Runner and made it at least a minute long. Great ride but very short.

Storm Runner was a disappointment for me too when it opened, I thought it was way too short. I still kinda do. But I think it's important to remember the ride's place "historically", it was built before Maverick or iSpeed when the launched coaster really came into its own, it was during the time of rides like Xcelerator, which also has a surprising lack of content. It was the first launch coaster with inversions, after all. So complaining about its length is a little bit like complaining about SDL only having one inversion. Keeping that in mind when I ride it helps me to enjoy it more.

I do agree Storm Runner is a good ride but could be great. I think you guys are right pointing out it was an early launch coaster and I didn't really think about that. For the short duration, I really enjoyed it.(especially since it was a walk on) I think it is the second best coaster at Hershey. Great Bear and Fahrenheit were good but nothing special. I think Lightning Racer was a huge surprise to me. I loved it and would trade it out with the Racer at my home park of KI.

Did Hersheypark Saturday for the first time. A few notes.

- Skyrush, Storm Runner, and Fahrenheit all made my top 3. Fantastic rides. Fahrenheit is crazy underrated. Storm Runner is my favorite launch coaster, and Skyrush kicked my ass. Fahrenheit and Great Bear were the real surprise hits of the day. I love both of them.

- The woodies were great except Wildcat. That ride needs to be put out of its misery

- The park has so much stuff to do, it's not even funny. We skipped Zoo America and did other stuff instead. Despite having so much stuff to do though, the park still feels small and cramped at times though. It looks real small from the top of the observation tower.

- I liked the older section of the park. The atmosphere in that area is amazing. While BGW has better theming, I love Hersheypark's attempts at theming their areas as well.

- Ops were seriously on their A-game. Our longest wait was 40 mins for Fahrenheit and 30 for Great Bear. Even though Skyrush had a posted hour wait, it still only took around 20-25 mins to get through the entire line. It basically took us longer to park the car than it did to wait in lines for everything.

- Hersheypark was a lot flatter than I expected. I thought there would be steep hills everywhere. The park is pretty flat with one or two small hills here and there. Nothing on the scale of BGW.

- There was a neat Chevy exhibit near Wildcat. Hershey bar and Bumblebee were both there. Kiss had to stand in the hot sun all day. She's a real trooper.

- The Boardwalk needs a serious expansion. It was packed when we came that morning despite near walk ons for the surrounding midway rides. From Kissing Tower, it looked a lot worse later in the day. I love the area though.

- We lost at Lightning Racer twice D: Still my favorite woodie

- Coaster lines need shade. It sucks standing in direct hot 90 degree sun. I can only imagine how bad the waits are when the lines are crazy long. Great Bear, Fahrenheit, and Skyrush come to mind, but there are others.

- Black tarmac isn't really ideal for a park like HP, especially in the Midway/Boardwalk area where there isn't much shade.

- The park still felt really packed on Saturday. We parked the car near the second tram stop and there were still cars that parked further out. The midways were crammed full of people. It's surprising to see how many people this park can hold.

Overall a good time to be had. BGW loves Hersheypark!

Skyrush, Storm Runner, and Fahrenheit all made my top 3. Fantastic rides. Fahrenheit is crazy underrated.

...Big fan of Fahrenheit too. I think the trio of Intamins at Hershey definitely rival the big three at Cedar Point.

I'd say Skyrush beats Millennium, Maverick beats Fahrenheit, and Dragster beats or is almost equal to Storm Runner(Dragster launch and views/height is incredible but then SR has the inversions). Having just been to CP and being at HP every week or two Hershey is getting there with their coasters! Now we need a Giga! Or just a better wooden one than Wildcat.

^I agree with that! Skyrush was hands down the best steel coaster I've ever been on. I can say it's one of only 2 coasters in which the airtime nearly made me lose my shirt! I can't wait until the next time I visit Hershey.

Am I the only person that loves Wildcat? I actually preferred it to Lightning Racer! I liked it better than Lightning Racer when I visited Hershey in 2003, and I liked it better in 2012, too.

^I agree with that! Skyrush was hands down the best steel coaster I've ever been on. I can say it's one of only 2 coasters in which the airtime nearly made me lose my shirt! I can't wait until the next time I visit Hershey.

Am I the only person that loves Wildcat? I actually preferred it to Lightning Racer! I liked it better than Lightning Racer when I visited Hershey in 2003, and I liked it better in 2012, too.

FINALLY, I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE!

Wildcat is NOT bad! Yes, it is MUCH rougher than most GCI coasters and Lightning Racer is a much better ride, but to compare it to death traps like freakin' Mean Streak and pre-RMC Rattler is going too far. Hell, Coney Island Cyclone is VERY painful at times, but I still love it and it's one of my favorite woodies!

If you honestly think Wildcat is bad, Try Mean Streak, in the back seat, TWICE.

Gee, I thought I was the only one who noticed that about Skyrush - I think it must have something to do with the way the trains are made (the near shirt removal, and I only noticed that in the first and 2nd rows), since there are plenty of open-train style coasters with similar or even greater speed where you don't get that effect (plenty of B&M floorless coasters where that doesn't happen). I don't know that it has anything to do with the airtime (which is indeed mind-blowing, and I share your sentiments about Skyrush being one of the best coasters ever, for me it is in my all-time top 4 coasters), but rather something in the train design that causes the air to blow upward on riders (rather than straight at you, as is normally the case) in the first couple rows of seats.

However, the airtime did cause my friend to lose her flipflops (no, they weren't on her feet - she was sitting on them! ) - which is a really strong testament to the airtime on this ride, especially considering that riders are stapled down pretty tight for the entire ride.

As for the Wildcat, I enjoyed it a lot when it was first built, but over the years my bad back won't allow me to ride coasters that are that rough (and I also have to stay out of Skyrush's wing seats due to my back ).

Two things:

1. I rode Mean Streak in May and I can safely say every ride I've ever had on Wild Cat was about 200x rougher, they don't even begin to compare. Maybe work has been done on Mean Streak or I got lucky, but I don't know why people always talk about it like it's the pinnacle of roughness. Wild Cat has a couple moments near the end where the track actually feels broken.

2. Wild Cat is an awesome ride and deserves to stay right where it is. Not every coaster has to feel like a perfectly controlled experience.

As for the Wildcat, I enjoyed it a lot when it was first built, but over the years my bad back won't allow me to ride coasters that are that rough (and I also have to stay out of Skyrush's wing seats due to my back ).

Pain meds. That's all you gotta know.

Leaning forward isn't necessarily fine. Most roller coasters are designed for riders to have their backs resting against the seat back at all times.

I rode with a local/TPR member in Wildcat's third row and we both agreed Cat wasn't running too well that day. There were potholes at the bottom of every drop. You know a coaster isn't running well when you can't put your hands up the whole time in order to brace yourself from slamming your gut into the lapbars (and it's not the good Skyrush/Fahrenheit kind either). The turns were ok until around midway through the ride. Around that time, the ride didn't seem to like any of us and decided to beat us up in the turns as well. I liked the layout, but like Gwazi, it suffers from great layout but horrible roughness.

I heard riding toward the back, the ride is a bit more tolerable, but we didn't have time to do rerides, nor did I really want to after that unpleasant experience.

Personally I hate Wildcat probably more than anyone else here. It's not an enjoyable rough and it's the screechiest coaster I've ever been on. I've ridden this, Mean Streak and Rolling Thunder and I have to say this is the worst of the 3 imo. Mean Streak is not as rough for me and it doesn't make nearly as much noise. Don't get me wrong I can enjoy rough woodies such as Blue Streak, Great White and Comet but those all had good airtime to make the roughness more fun. This is something Wildcat doesn't have.

Hershey was under a severe thunderstorm warning when I went last Saturday, but it ended up only being cloudy in the morning and sunny later in the day. I'd recommend checking the weather before your visit. The most wet I ever got was from the waterworks on Lightning Racer and on the flume.