TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Hersheypark (HP) Discussion Thread

^Not the section of Italy that's across the bridge where Apollo is, if I remember correctly.

Anyway, just got home from Hershey - I love that place so much, I chose it to be my last park of the season! Crowds were about nonexistent, and thankfully the kids there for the Atlantic marching band competition were all occupied outside the park and in Chocolate World and never came in, as far as we could tell. Hooray for three rides on Fahrenheit, Storm Runner, and Great Bear, 1-2 on everything else, and for the kid who threw up on the Claw being at the bottom instead of at the top where it would have hit everyone!

I'm pretty thrilled that I ended my season on Intamins - S:ROS, I305, El Toro, and Storm Runner

Sounds like during the Keystone Thrills meet-up. When Chris, Alex and I arrived, there were quite a few cars in the lot, but they were parking HP in the Dark guests in one section which turned out not to be that many people. I think there was something going on in the stadium (cheerleading competition), plus Chocolate World was alot (and I mean alot) busier then that park itself (between park guests, Chocolate World guests, and people from over at the studium going in there). The ride had a continuously moving line but we were able to get in and out of there in no problem. As far as the park went, we got caught in the opening crowd, but managed to get in pretty well, and the longest wait was for Fahrenheit, mainly because they switched a new train onto the track and we had to wait for that. Everything else was either a walk-on or a minimal one or two-cycle wait.

I ended my season with a night ride in the front left seat of Great Bear...best seat in the house! Can't get any better than that!

The MIdway America dead end probably won't be solved anytime soon; it is a by-product of the placement of the Boardwalk, and is only really present when the Boardwalk has closed for the season. They aren't left with a practical option to route a path back toward the rest of the park.

I'm not sure I really understand this comment since the Midway America has been there since 1997. Both GCI woodies were installed years before the boardwalk. I agree that the placement of the boardwalk is foolish, and I believe the whole issue has to do with the water attraction being constructed where it is. Sorry, just a realistic fan boy spouting here.

You used to be able to get past Lightning Racer and Roller Soaker and I believe wind up over near Sidewinder and Storm Runner. Wouldn't it be possible to at least have a path like this to minimize the back tracking? Who cares if the Boardwalk is closed, you could at least wander past it. I know it would be "dead" space, but they could at least put some kind of Halloween theming in there or something. That was quite an unnecessary amount of walking to and from that area.!

I think that that path you are referring to was used by the former "Trick-or-Treat trail" followed by Treatville before it got moved. So if you didn't have children or were too old to participate with the trick-or-treating, then you still had to take the round-about way during HP in the Dark.

I think that that path you are referring to was used by the former "Trick-or-Treat trail" followed by Treatville before it got moved. So if you didn't have children or were too old to participate with the trick-or-treating, then you still had to take the round-about way during HP in the Dark.

Oh yeah, that is another thing.....they tell me I was too old to partake of the activities!!! BS ! LMAO I just wanted some candy.....

I don't know about treatville in years past, this was our first HPITD event and I just remember from summer's past that you could walk all the way around (behind CRR's waterfalls) and get to the other side. That would be a nice dark spot for some kind of scare zone type thing.

BTW, all rides appeared to be running with the exception of the Ferris Wheel, no cars on it...why?

My guess is that the park wanted to get a head start on the winter inspections. I think the last two years, the park might've had trouble getting all the rides done by the time Springtime in the Park rolled around (like Fahrenheit).

I remember hearing about this past STITP and not all of the rides were ready. Wasn't one of Great Bear's trains not inspected, thus the one train operation on the first day when the place was packed to the walls?

Yes, exactly why both Storm Runner and Fahrenheit were closed for 2009 STITP. I don't think Ferris Wheel was ever shut down, they even opened it that year when Midway wasn't supposed to be open.

The MIdway America dead end probably won't be solved anytime soon; it is a by-product of the placement of the Boardwalk, and is only really present when the Boardwalk has closed for the season. They aren't left with a practical option to route a path back toward the rest of the park.

The dead end will not be resolved ever, unless they go without a service road behind Lightning Racer and Roller Soaker, or remove some cabanas. The path that used to lead from Storm Runner to Lightning Racer is now cut off by the cabanas and lazy river. It was a horrible decision to close that off - now there are two dead ends in the park (LR and Storm Runner). But, they wanted only one entrance to the Boardwalk/Seaquel Area.

The waterpark is a total cluster f---, and is the worst decison the park has ever made. I have no problem adding a waterpark - it's drawn an incredible amnount of people. But it should have been built where the old pool was located, near Chocolate World and away from the park. It could/should have been a separate gate. It's not big enough to handle Hersheypark's crowds, and it's completely landlocked. The rapids won't be the only ride the park will lose as the waterpark expands.

Not only has the waterpark created a loooong dead end at Lightning Racer, but it's a nightmare to navigate through. The crowds are horrendous. Even in the summertime you have to walk all the way around to get to Lightning Racer, unless you want to fight the Boardwalk crowds. It makes me sick to my stomach whenever I go back there to think of how Midway America has been ruined.

I agree that they should've put the water park where the old swimming pool was, as well as realigned Park Blvd to go around it, eliminating that sharp curve there by the park entrance. They still could've connected it to the park, but it would've been more in the style of how Wildwater Kingdom is at Dorney Park...separate from the park, but still included in your one-price admission.

I also thought Coastline Plunge was designed to have a new slide or two added. At least that's what it looks like when I see it. There are small brackets attached to the tower for what appears to be for a new slide. Can anyone clear this up as to if this is happening in the future?

It makes me sick to my stomach whenever I go back there to think of how Midway America has been ruined.

I have not been there in the summer yet since the Boardwalk opened, but I get the same feeling seeing it there sitting idle. The area is only a few years old, built to try to recapture the history of old, and now this big conglomerated mess of water is plunked right down in the middle of it!!!! Definitely agree it should've been seperated from the park somehow.

• 2 weeks later...

Just something I noticed, in the IAAPA video that was recently posted the person Robb interviewed from Maurer said that they were in discussions for something in America that they can't talk about until April and since Hershey is announcing it next spring..perhaps they're working with Maurer on something?

Chris mentioned the exact same thing over at Keystone Thrills. I wouldn't rule it out, but then again, it could also be another park. There have been various places that have announced mammoth attractions in the spring of the year prior to their opening. Remember, there has also been discussions on this being a B&M or Intamin...more likely the first with the way the clues of the puzzle were given.

Just something I noticed, in the IAAPA video that was recently posted the person Robb interviewed from Maurer said that they were in discussions for something in America that they can't talk about until April and since Hershey is announcing it next spring..perhaps they're working with Maurer on something?

I was thinking the same thing. We'll see.

But they already have a vertical lift coaster. I'm not saying that they can't build one (obviously they can, I have no control over what they can or can't do), but IMO it wouldn't have the appeal that Fahrenheit had because it wouldn't have that beyond-vertical drop (or it could have one, I don't know) that basically sold Fahrenheit.

I'm still hoping for an airtime machine from Intamin, or even B&M.

There is no way this will be a Maurer coaster. Largest project in the park's history = Maurer? Probably not.

I guess Maurer can make a decent coaster, but if this isn't B&M or Intamin, or someone else with hyper-experience, I have to say I'll be very disappointed. There is a huge difference between any Maurer coaster I've ridden and any B&M or Intamin hyper I've ridden.

I know parks don't cater to me or any of us, but I reserve my right to be disappointed in this coaster if it's not a B&M or Intamin ride.