TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

California Great America (CGA) Discussion Thread

Finally got on Invertigo yesterday but only once since it had a 35 min wait. I can't believe how smooth it is! It's so sad only Invertigo & Top Gun are the only best coasters in the park. Pathetic! Demon is so jerky & looks so worn down, Grizzly is so bumpy. Vortex is HOORIBLE! I wish CF would do something. CF doesn't seem to care about the coasters. CGA may never see a new coaster again. Last new coaster was Physco Mouse in 2001 & last major one was Stealth 2000 & now Stealth has been gone since 2003. How frigen sad. Boomerang Bay is not that great either. There could be alot more slides! It's disappointing. So far I went 2 times this year & only 1 slide in Jackaroo Landing was open both times. Ug. Have one more ticket to go a 3rd time. I tried a burger from the Burger Barn & it was the worst burger I have ever had! Are the ones at American Cafe any better or the same? Too bad CF can't get In N Out for the park! & I looked for Sunfire at Invertigo but wasn't sure which one was him. Sunfire were you the one in the control booth on the left side?

^I've had burgers over by Invertigo, and burgers from American Cafe (Next to Firefall) and I think I preferred the ones at the Cafe. Which one's Burger Barn (as much as I visit the park, I rarely buy food there, I eat ahead of time to cut costs down)? Next time you try Demon, try riding towards the rear of the train...if you're lucky, try the red train second to last row. When I rode it was pretty smooth. And Sunfire? I've seen him over at White Water Falls and Berserker and Demon, but that's when Invertigo was down. I may have only seen him once at Invertigo.

And coasters...I personally think that all the kinks are worked out of the 49ers dilemma, then we may start seeing new rides coming in.

Burger Barn is next to the nacho place on the right. I'll try American Cafe. I know park food is a rip but by buying it I believe it helps the park & maybe help get a new coaster. ^How would you describe Sunfire so I know who to look for? I don't ride the Beserker. So it's not the last row on the Demon but the next seat up? I'll try that. Thanks. I always sit near the front but that will change as of what you said. What's the best seat on the Grizzly? Vortex I'm assuming none? & Top Gun-front? I'm a bit worried that CF may let get GA get torn down because of the stadium & I think what happened to Astroworld. I wonder how many more years we will have to wait after this stadium thing gets worked out to see giant coasters.

As Robb has pointed out, on pretty much all Arrow loopers, such as Demon, the "magic Arrow seats", the smoothest ones on the train, are the first two rows of the last two cars. He says for some reason those two rows are the smoothest.

I never noticed Demon ever being bumpy or rough. IMO, Vortex is the only "bad" coaster. I don't even find Grizzly to be that rough,

only very slow. It's too bad this park doesn't receive more attention. I wish I could go for a longer visit sometime because I really did enjoy the park.

I was reading the FB post you guys did...is this some kind of hint regarding Camp Gonna Getcha? Like a possible relocation as the "Logger's Run is infested" and "Campers leaving Logger's Run"? Or is it probably just me? Anyway, can't wait to check out Toy Factory again this year..."Gumballs for breakfast, I like chocolate, Hooray for Jellybeans, Butterscotch!"

Curious if this version of Great America (that doesn't appear to have been kept quite as true to the Marriott days as it's Gurnee sister) still have the walk through, plant covered tunnel/arbor in the area where Sky Whirl once operated? I know the Gurnee park removed theirs years ago, just curious about this park.

Also curious if the Eagle's Flight/Delta Flyers are original? That is, are the towers, cabins and "flight paths" the same as they were when the park opened?

In looking at the park map on the website, it does appear that the "tunnel" I am asking about is still there! (near Barney Oldfield's Speedway, on the park map) Does anyone have any current pictures of it? Would also be curious to see if any remnants of the old scenic railway are still around? Would seem very strange not to have the railroad bridge to walk under on your way to the (Willard's) Whizzer etc!

CGA still happens to have it's arbor tunnel alongside of Demon. I don't really have any pictures of it however. During Halloween, this walkthru arbor becomes a scare zone full of fog and monsters...and a green light at the end to cast an eerie glow.

EF/DF I believe the towers are original with a little modifications to them. Anyone know what purpose the 2 pointy V-shaped spikes serve at the top of the towers? I know that the towers were originally a tan color and did not have the pointed V-shaped spikes on top. Buckets I believe are the same too. Flight path is also the same.

As far as the train, there are really no remnants left other than the County Fair station...which is Psycho Mouse's queue building now. It is quite strange looking at the carousel's back side and having Hometown Square literally right there. Yes, it's more open but I miss the old bridge. The mound of dirt that sectioned that off (where Hometown Station sat) is gone. Oh, and the train's old tunnel by Demon is still intact as well.

CGA still happens to have it's arbor tunnel alongside of Demon. I don't really have any pictures of it however. During Halloween, this walkthru arbor becomes a scare zone full of fog and monsters...and a green light at the end to cast an eerie glow.

EF/DF I believe the towers are original with a little modifications to them. Anyone know what purpose the 2 pointy V-shaped spikes serve at the top of the towers? I know that the towers were originally a tan color and did not have the pointed V-shaped spikes on top. Buckets I believe are the same too. Flight path is also the same.

As far as the train, there are really no remnants left other than the County Fair station...which is Psycho Mouse's queue building now. It is quite strange looking at the carousel's back side and having Hometown Square literally right there. Yes, it's more open but I miss the old bridge. The mound of dirt that sectioned that off (where Hometown Station sat) is gone. Oh, and the train's old tunnel by Demon is still intact as well.

I do believe those were intended to run phone lines over. Whether or not they were used is something I don't know.

With the exception of the Boomerang Bay area, and the crossings over Hometown Square, the entire train circuit is still intact. (Intact as in, you could put something there, but why when it's only 3/4 of a circle!

Curious if this version of Great America (that doesn't appear to have been kept quite as true to the Marriott days as it's Gurnee sister) still have the walk through, plant covered tunnel/arbor in the area where Sky Whirl once operated? I know the Gurnee park removed theirs years ago, just curious about this park.

Also curious if the Eagle's Flight/Delta Flyers are original? That is, are the towers, cabins and "flight paths" the same as they were when the park opened?

In looking at the park map on the website, it does appear that the "tunnel" I am asking about is still there! (near Barney Oldfield's Speedway, on the park map) Does anyone have any current pictures of it? Would also be curious to see if any remnants of the old scenic railway are still around? Would seem very strange not to have the railroad bridge to walk under on your way to the (Willard's) Whizzer etc!

I just went to the park the other day and snapped a couple pics of the arbor tunnel for you!

New for Haunt in 2010, Black Widows Cavern - Dare to enter the old, abandoned loggers run, now overrun by deadly spiders. Get caught in the web of the horrific arachnids as you travel the trough of terror on the old logger’s path of doom.

Also don't miss our brand new show, Fangs. Comedy meets Vampires in this edgy unveiling of the Undead. This visually seductive production features howling music, hot dancers and special effects.

All the gory details are now online at http://haunt.cagreatamerica.com

See you at the park!

I just went to the park the other day and snapped a couple pics of the arbor tunnel for you!

Wow, thank you very much! That is great to see, it was unfortunate that they decided to rip that out when they tore down Sky Whirl and installed Deja Vu in Gurnee. While it seems like the Gurnee park has "stayed true" much more to the Marriott days, it's neat that the sky buckets and plant-covered "tunnel" are still around in Cali....

It's really strange to look at the two parks and see how much more differently they have been expanded/changed over the years.

Anyway, as an outsider to the California park I am wondering if I'm alone in being amazed that it's still there (what with the absolutely crazy building ALL around it). I guess it must be making money, but boy that has to be quite a tempting way to clear up some of your debt (redistributing the rides and selling that land).

So this Black Widow Caverns...I'm curious as to how this is going to be pulled off as Logger's takes place out in the open. Knott's Black Widow Cavern takes place in a cave. Now it makes sense, I knew something was up when "The campers left because something infested the run." Perhaps use some more of the realistic spider web stuff, not the cheese cloth if CGA really wants to stir up peoples' arachnophobia.